This Diet Saved My Life...My Story after Eight Weeks

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

This Diet Saved My Life...My Story after Eight Weeks

Postby Tom Dylan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:03 pm

Greetings,

A little over eight weeks ago, I was in a desperate situation. In spite of new medications for my high blood pressure, I had begun having chest pains, and would often get spikes in my pressure that scared me. On several occasions, I had to make use of the nitro glycerin prescribed by my family doctor.

At 5'8'' and 245lbs, high BP wasn't the only issue. I had developed asthma, and made sure to keep my inhaler close at hand wherever I went. Many times, I would turn my car around and head back for the house if it was forgotten.

I wanted to exercise more, but even simple walking made my chest hurt with a burning pain. Every night, I would eat myself to sleep--and my appetite was like a bottomless pit. I couldn't see any light at the end of the tunnel. :cry:

I had tried one diet or another for the previous 20 years with small successes. Nothing ever worked out in the long run. So a little over eight weeks ago it suddenly occurred to me that I was addicted to food. So late one sleepless night, I did a YouTube search for "food addiction".

The first video I ran across was Dr. Neil Barnard's video on chocolate, cheese, meat, and sugar. It was a real eye-opener...it had never occured to me that dairy or meat could be addictive. Still, I wasn't exactly sure what to do about it.

The next night, I looked the video up again to find similar ideas, and ran across Dr. McDougall's "The Role of Meat in the Human Diet." The first thing that impressed me was Dr. McDougall's respect for religious beliefs. By the time I finished watching the video, it was as if the blinders had come off. That very night, I watched two more McDougall videos--one was on dairy. I'm not sure of the exact titles.

One thing Dr. McDougall said had a huge impact on me. He offered no disclaimer, none of the "results not typical," which I was expecting. He was adament that this diet works, period. Expect results! His confidence was compelling.

After my wife watched the videos with me, we started on this journey together. I really didn't expect what happened next. By the end of the first day, I hadn't used my inhaler. My blood pressure was getting lower than I had ever seen it, so I decided to cut my BP medication in half. (In hindsight, I should have consulted my physician on that, but it all worked out). By the end of the second day, I was experiencing virtually no chest pain. I started noticing a strange sensation, though. I could literally feel the blood coursing through my arms and legs--as if the circulation was coming back.

By the end of the first week, I couldn't believe how much better I felt. Over the last several weeks, things have just kept getting better and better.

After eight weeks, I've lost 24 lbs, and at least 4" in my waist. I'm down to just one small dose of HCTZ for blood pressure with my doctor's blessing. My chest pains are no more than a memory, and my asthma has disappeared also. Allergy season is well under way--and I'm barely noticing. My energy level is incredible, and I've even begun to see a remarkable increase in libido in the last two weeks. I just celebrated my 46th birthday, but honestly I feel at least 10 years younger.

As if this all wasn't already too good to be true, it gets better. I haven't counted one calorie, nor have I once felt deprived. I eat plenty of great food, and feel more satisfied with what I consume. Gone are the crazy cravings that drove me to eat so much that I felt sick.

My wife has lost 12.5 lbs, and has experienced a nearly miraculous improvement in her schitzophrenia. This last benefit was something we had neither expected, nor thought possible. She has actually cut her medication in half, and is happier than she has been in a decade.

I look forward to losing all of my excess weight over the coming months, and dropping the BP medication altogether.

This diet has saved my life, and given me my health back. My wife and I are healthier and happier than we have been in years. :D Someday I hope to meet Dr. McDougall and thank him in person.

Tom
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Re: This Diet Saved My Life...My Story after Eight Weeks

Postby Lexus » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:26 pm

Great news! Very happy for both of you! I am also hoping to get off my BP medication and feel better in general. Just started this WOE so your story is very motivating!
All my best, Lexus

Began the journey to health on April 20, 2012!

Lexus

Postby giddyupgin » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:57 pm

Wow! Good for you and welcome!
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby proverbs31woman » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Thanks for sharing your story. That's amazing and very inspirational! I wish you and your wife continued success.
proverbs31woman

Postby Tiger » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09 am

What excellent results for both of you! It must be a great relief to see the medication - and the pounds - disappearing.

It's very interesting that your wife is seeing benefits to her schizophrenia. I know there have been studies with children and prisoners regarding food additives, how removal of such products improves various mental states, and it's encouraging to hear that this WOE is helping her as well.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby nordgirl » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:23 am

What an amazing story, I love waking up to good news like this, thanks for sharing. I'm so pleased for you both :)
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby TerriT » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:12 pm

What an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing.
TerriT

Postby fulenn » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:23 pm

So good to hear how much better you are both doing! It really isn't a sacrifice, is it?

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Caroveggie » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 pm

You sound like a Star McDougaller in the making :) Congratulations on your success. I'm sure as time goes by you'll continue to enjoy better health.
Caroveggie

Postby giddyupgin » Mon May 07, 2012 10:16 pm

Where are you Tom Dylan...please keep us posted on how you are doing after such a great start....??

giddyupgin

Postby Tom Dylan » Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

giddyupgin wrote:Where are you Tom Dylan...please keep us posted on how you are doing after such a great start....??

Greetings,

I'm still lurking here in the shadows... :lol:

Things are still going well for my wife and me. After 10 weeks, I've lost 30lbs. She has dropped another pound, for 13.5lbs lost--but she already has a normal BMI.

I continue to lose weight in spite of my rather zealous starch consumption. (I'm taking ad libitum to a whole new level...ad nauseum). Curbing my corn tortilla habit appears to be one key to keeping weight loss on track. I'm also careful to add copious amounts of green veggies to my daily intake.

While there is still a long way to go, I'm at my lowest weight since the late 1990s. Friends and relatives are starting to realize that this isn't a typical diet. Any diet will take off the first 10lbs, and they have seen me lose 10-15 lbs many times.

The key here is a total lack of deprivation. Sure, the weight loss has slowed a bit...but there is no need for me to hurry. There is no stress, no counting calories, and no guilt. I have no intention of going back...this is the best I've felt in at least 15 years!

My favorite NGP (Not Guilty Pleasure) is home-made potato chips. They are quick and easy in the microwave, and almost as tasty as the store brands. As my tastes have changed, this healthy alternative actually seems to taste better to me than the original. No greasy aftertaste, no indigestion, and no more greasy TV remote 8) . All apologies to Jeff N, but I do lightly salt them. :oops:

My next major goal is to bring my BMI down enough to be considered simply "overweight" rather than "obese." I have about 18lbs to go. This doesn't seem too daunting, though. McDougall is is the Rosetta Stone of diets: healthy eating is easy, and inexpensive--and I eat as much as I want.

Please, don't pinch me. This must be a dream.

Tom
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Postby nicoles » Wed May 09, 2012 11:03 am

Tom Dylan wrote:Please, don't pinch me. This must be a dream.

I know, it is so amazing, right? I have felt that way many times in the past year, and things keep on getting better.

And what an amazing recovery you have had!

Congratulations, and I promise, no pinching! :lol:
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Starchyme » Wed May 09, 2012 11:22 am

Fantastic news for both you and your wife! Keep us apprised. Happy McDougalling!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby giddyupgin » Wed May 09, 2012 1:43 pm

So good to hear about you sticking to this. And having your wife on board with you. I know my husband and I marvel each day at how we feel and how much we enjoy all that we eat. Totally understand the corn tortillas. I had to give them up also. Along with any wheat I am still struggling with the sugar thing just ran out of. Down sugar and honey. So now that its out of the house it's out of my reach. Inward to a new life of health.

giddyupgin

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories