Many, many thanks! This diet delivers results for me.

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Many, many thanks! This diet delivers results for me.

Postby gxs » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:54 pm

Hello all, I'm a longtime browser of everything on this website (in particular the discussion boards and newsletters). Just a quick note to say - thanks Doctor, and thanks to you all for the excellent and *free* information on this website, truly a goldmine of information and of *practical* use! This site is a shining example of "open source" at its best :-)

A little about myself - I'm from southern India, emigrated to the US in my mid-20's, and I'm just over 50. I live with my wife and two young children in the Northeast. I have no immediate health problems; however my heredity has always been a concern (Dad died of causes related to uncontrolled type-2 diabetes; Mom, now in her mid-70's, has a history of high blood pressure and cholesterol).

My first introduction to approaches similar to this one was thanks to Dr. Neal Barnard, I saw one of his telecasts on PBS and tried out his recommendations. I liked most aspects of Dr. Barnard's teachings, however I didn't care for his cautionary advice against brown rice (due to his concerns about GI). I do love my rice given my southern Indian upbringing! :-) So I searched some more and thankfully, found the McDougall way as taught so well by the information here.

For the last eight months or so, I've been on a diet centered on steamed brown basmati rice, plus some sweet potatoes (boiled) and some beans (steamed) - plus non-starchy vegetables (both boiled and as a fresh salad). I have all of these items with practically every meal, and couldn't be happier! I usually eat 2 to 3 meals every day.
Over the last ~6 months, I've also been on a personal mission to eliminate salt, sugar and oil completely from my diet - this mainly started as a somewhat "spiritual" experiment, to simplify my life. The experience has been a revelation. As many others have pointed out here, I've since discovered the "true taste" of natural foods and do not feel deprived *at all*.

I had some basic bloodwork done recently and these were the results:

A1C - 5.4 (unchanged from an earlier Dr. Barnard-style diet, where I was restricting myself to *much* less brown rice)
Cholesterol - total: 123, LDL - 65, HDL - 46, triglycerides - 61

As a data point, this perhaps may be of use to others first trying out this way of eating - I got the results above while consuming pretty large quantities of starches: each day, anywhere from 5 to 7.5 cups of steamed brown basmati, 2 to 4 cups of sliced and boiled sweet potatoes, and some beans, usually steamed pigeon peas.

So my limited experience does validate what's said here - people who are worried about blood sugar ought to care primarily about eliminating oils, fats, refined foods and animal products; and not bother with restricting whole-meal starches.

So - thanks again, for the help and advice offered here. Truly a valuable service!

- gxs
gxs

Re: Many, many thanks! This diet delivers results for me.

Postby giddyupgin » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. Look forward to hearing from you along the way on this new journey. YES! This is the best place to be with all the support you could ever imagine
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby heatherjoy » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:47 pm

I agree, all of the FREE information is so helpful and having it this available makes such a big difference in actually making healthy changes.
heatherjoy

Postby Tiger » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:15 am

The fact that Dr. McDougall gives all you need to know about this diet away for free made me believe that he wasn't just another diet book seller, he really wants to help people. Too bad some of us (like me) have thicker skulls than others and take a while to hear the message!

I was wondering, since you mention the true tase of food, if you eat your food plain or add spices.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby gxs » Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:56 am

heatherjoy and Tiger, agreed - I confidently took to the diet and the proffered advice largely due to the "No strings attached, we're just here to help" stance that anyone can observe here. Instinctively I've always been more comfortable with "open source" stuff anyway (where the philosophy is "It's free for the taking, help yourself, but do remember to help others by giving back!"). It is gratifying to see so many of you obviously putting in the time and energy to "give back". We can all help in so many ways - provide insightful advice and encouragement as you're doing, purchase a book or DVD occasionally, spread the word among family and friends, etc. Right now I am unsure how much time I can spend on these message boards; I do intend doing my little part every way I can though.

Tiger, re. spices. These days whenever possible I prefer to limit my "spices" to powdered black pepper, freshly grated ginger and maybe a sprinkle of fresh-squeezed lemon or lime. I'll relax that constraint a little when sharing food cooked by my wife or close friends - who will still prepare dairy-free, salt-free, oil-free and sugar-free just for me but may add cumin seeds, turmeric or whatever else. In a time crunch I can put away a fresh salad with boiled/steamed sweet potatoes and brown basmati and little else. It's taken me 50+ years to realize *that* is real food and can taste great just as-is!

- gxs
gxs

Postby carollynne » Thu May 03, 2012 4:36 am

gxs, HI!! Such great and wonderful results, and a big huge congrats to you for doing it all yourself. I love brown jazmine rice, and love plain food too, with little or no spices.
I love you Dr MCDougall for giving us all the tools for free and not expecting to see the payment in the form of an insurance claim either! Knowledge is power!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby gxs » Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks, carollynne - and sorry for the delayed response.

I couldn't possibly do this without my wife's support - though she still practices her own personalized version of "Americanized southern Indian lacto-veg cuisine" (not as restrictive as mine, and includes some fats and oils as well). While this means I can't eat most of the dishes she prepares, she doesn't give me a hard time about it. Maybe because we've been together a while, have a pretty inclusive social life and there are enough others around to praise her culinary skills (and the kids of course).

- gxs
gxs

Postby giddyupgin » Wed May 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Sounds like you are doing well. Your wife's support will certainly enhance your new WOE. Keep it going and keep I touch with us on your progress. And if you want to share some of your recipes with your favorite spices please don't hesitate.
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories