No more arthritis pain

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

No more arthritis pain

Postby danmc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:48 am

A few years ago I was diagnosed with arthritis in both thumb joints. The pain was very bad. The only option the orthopedist offered was taking an NSAID, which in my case was Meloxicam (Mobic.)

So I began taking this and it worked, taking away the pain. About a year after beginning to take it, the prescription ran out and I called to get a refill but the office said that I would have to come back in for an appointment before they could write a new scrip. Since I wasn't happy with the idea of taking meds for the rest of my life for this I decided to go off of it for a while to see what would happen, and the pain returned and was very severe. So I went back to the office and got the new scrip.

The same thing happened about 3 weeks ago. My prescription ran out and the office said I'd have to come in again before they'd write a new one. This time, though, I decided to research if there were any dietary connections to arthritis and that's when I first learned of Dr. McDougall and this site. I decided to quit the meds and start this new WOE at the same time. I had already been a vegetarian for 28 years, but one that didn't eat very healthily; I love fried foods and used oil just about every time I cooked.

It's been almost 3 weeks since I stopped the meds and cutout all dairy and oils from my diet and I haven't had any pain at all in my thumbs! Being skeptical though, I wondered if it was possible if my arthritis could just spontaneously go away. Googling "arthritis cures" I came across the Wikipedia entry for arthritis which has this quote:

"Osteoarthritis, like rheumatoid arthritis, cannot be cured, but one can prevent the condition from worsening. Physical therapy to strengthen muscles and joints is very helpful. Pain medications are widely required by individuals with osteoarthritis."

It's still hard for me to believe that something which was so painful that if my thumbs even lightly brushed against something I flinched in agony has gone away.

I must also add, that even though I am very active; swimming, biking, and kayaking, my little paunch of belly fat persisted...and this too is now almost gone! :D
danmc

Re: No more arthritis pain

Postby giddyupgin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:42 pm

Good for you! I also suffered but my pain left only 7 days after starting this WOE. I'm hooked on my new life. Now able to walk 4 1/2 mIles.
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby danmc » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:49 pm

My pain never came back. I started eliminating oils and dairy and following the guidelines of McD on the same day that I took my last pill. I contemplated being more "scientific" and discontinuing the pills first to see if the pain came back before changing my WOE, but then thought why risk having pain again?
danmc

Postby sweetfruitlover » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:39 pm

That's so awesome! I hope you continue to be free of that pain. I would bet that you'll feel better and better as you continue. Making my first change in diet (I gave up gluten) had a huge impact on my health, and started me down this path. It's so wonderful to feel healthy and full of life and energy. Enjoy!
sweetfruitlover

Postby carollynne » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:37 am

Wonderful to read about your successes here on arthritis, something I have to contend with as well. This WOE has reduced my pain drastically too. it has made me a true believer for real! The pain in my thumbs is gone, and my knees a ton better too. I no longer take any meds like you mentioned. Mobic (however it also raised my blood pressure too) was one I took a long time ago and like you said it really took care of by masking the pain. Now it just seems to be ok, and I do not take any meds for my pain.l Exercise is the best remedy I have found for my knees.
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby danmc » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:48 am

That's great, carollynne! Sad that the medical establishment doesn't even offer any advice on changing diet as a treatment for arthritis rather than whipping out the prescription pad. :roll:
danmc

Postby carollynne » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Yes, danmc, and it is odd, but I tend to forgot about my arthritis off and on, as my life gets easier to do all the things I love to do., like walk at stores, walk at the park, etc. I am not tempted to eat any animal based products ever due to the success I have had at this WOE clearing up my symptoms.
whoppee! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby blue » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:55 am

danmc wrote:That's great, carollynne! Sad that the medical establishment doesn't even offer any advice on changing diet as a treatment for arthritis rather than whipping out the prescription pad. :roll:

Very sad! But there's not much money in that. Congrats on your success! I'm another one who has conquered my pain with this WOE. I saw my doctor for the first time since I changed my diet 6 months ago and it was so liberating to not have to ask for a refill on my pain meds.
Continued good luck to you! :)
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby bluefizzure » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:40 am

That is so awesome!!! My dad has horrible arthritis, and he can barely walk and he is in his early 70's. I was noticing a few years ago I was going down the same path due to my diet. Now I am pain free for the most part. I do notice pain if I eat out even if I eat something safe. Congrats again! :-D
bluefizzure

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories