Success: Bowel Function Improvement

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Success: Bowel Function Improvement

Postby Calypso » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Greetings,

I started the diet toward the end of November 2011. I have been diagnosed with MS, and I was seeking an alternative nutitional path to follow. I was also having major problems with constipation. I am pleased to report that my bowels function normally again on this diet! It has been years since my bowels moved easily on their own without a laxative. Now, I go every other day or every day with ease. I just full blood work and urinalysis by my primary care MD, and everything is normal, except my B12 level is a little low. My abdomen is still distended, especially after I eat, but not quite as much as before. I am supposed to be gluten intolerant, and I am strict about avoiding gluten, so my diet is even further restrictive. But, I am enjoying the diet, and I really don't miss eating meat. I was concerned about losing weight when I started because I am petite and already thin--weight gain is not an issue for me. However, I have actually gained weight, and I look like myself again! Now, I am believing God that the diet will be a part of the manifestation of relief from the MS symptoms. I thank God for leading me to Dr. McDougall.
Calypso

Re: Success: Bowel Function Improvement

Postby toadfood » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:04 pm

What wonderful news! I hope you continue to experience more and more healing.

I have to stay with my turtle energy. Slow and steady wins the race. -- Letha
toadfood

Postby shell1226 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:00 am

That is absolutely wonderful news! I am so happy for you.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby LoriLynn » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:03 pm

I really look forward to seeing how this WOE helps you deal with the symptoms of MS. I have seen several friends and relatives battle this unforgiving disease and I wish you the best of success.

Congratulations on your success so far!
LoriLynn

Postby Kiki » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:52 pm

Excellent, Calypso! I hope you have continued success as you proceed with the diet.
Kiki

Postby moonwatcher » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:07 pm

Congratulations, Calypso--

I have MS, too, and I have been eating this way almost 4 years. I found it 12 years after diagnosis, and had very compromising symptoms that were making it difficult for me to walk, eat, even smile. Considering a wheel chair and severe neuralgia in my face, among other things. This WOE has stopped the downward spiral, and over time, symptoms have become less acute, and easier to manage. Also, when things flare up, I have recovered some ability to bounce back, which I had lost. I have a dog who helps me, but instead of struggling to get down the block, I now walk a mile most days.

Stick with it, and with staying away from gluten, too, if you need to. Everyone with MS is affected differently, but I still continue to feel incremental improvements in all areas, and my quality of life has substantially improved. I am not one who gets regular MRI's, back when I was diagnosed it wasn't required, and I can't afford it anyway. So I don't have test results. But all who know me are amazed at how well I am doing. I have never taken medication, and used many different alternative therapies, but this way of eating is by far the most effective for me. It truly is a blessing in my life, and for my son, now grown, who is overjoyed, and now also eats this way.

I would also add that I follow Dr. Swank's recommendation to make sure I nap every day--laying down with my feet up. He says at least an hour, more if needed. I rest for two. It makes an amazing difference in my overall ability to function to make sure I do this. It helps the nervous system calm down and reset from all its efforts up to that point. So I would recommend that too, if at all possible.

all the best to you on your healing journey,

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby Calypso » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 pm

Thank you, Moonwatcher, for your words of encouragement. Interestingly, my biggest challenge is getting a daily nap. I am working on it and need to get some things off my plate. Presently, I am very uncomfortable as the symptoms have intensified these last few days. I am trying to determine if white potatoes are causing symptoms to increase. I also had a somewhat mentally stressful week, and I often wonder how much stress contributes to "flare ups." I'll be posting.
Calypso

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:07 am

You're welcome. And hang in there, Calypso. Be patient. And do rest as much as you can. It helps a lot when symptoms flare up. And yes, stress definitely contributes. I haven't heard of white potatoes generally causing MS flare-ups, so doubt that's it unless you find you have a specific allergy to them. You can always eat yellow or sweet potatoes or something else altogether instead if you're worried (because it's not good to worry too much!) Making choices that limit stress and getting more rest is an essential part of the recipe for calming symptoms down. You can do it!

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby proverbs31woman » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:16 am

Congrats, Calypso!
proverbs31woman

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories