One Year Update

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

One Year Update

Postby Perla » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:11 am

My husband and I just finished one year on the McDougall way of eating. I've lost about 30 pounds and my husband lost about 20 (he had less to lose). My cholesterol started out as 233 and in six months went to 160 then at the one year mark it is 176 so it went up for some reason but it looks like lots of people have had that problem recently. Maybe it's from having it checked in winter instead of summer? Who knows. My husband never goes to the doctor so we don't know his cholesterol counts. My blood pressure went from a consistent 155/90 to a now consistent 115/60 and my husband's acted pretty much the same. We feel great and are very happy with the results. My psoriasis did not go away but I'm blaming that on having a thyroid that doesn't work. So that's disappointing but I can live with it.

f1jim - I especially want to thank you for your original comments to me. I listened! We did not cheat! Just stuck to the plan one meal at a time. I made menus each week for a while until we got used to this way of eating.

I also want to thank everyone who posts on these boards for all the encouragement and ideas that they share. I'm not a veggie person so if I could do this, anyone can. Find the recipes you like and go for it. I can't tell you how many pizza lunches I've sat thru at work this past year but I can tell you that pizza no longer appeals to me at all (and it used to be my favorite meal). I just stuck with my rice and beans. We did avoid all the "fake" food such as vegan meats. It does get a lot easier with time. BUT DON'T CHEAT!!

Perla
Perla

Re: One Year Update

Postby Melinda » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:25 am

Congratulations Perla! Great to hear your success story. Dr. Dean Ornish states in his book ""Reversing heart Disease" (pg. 295) "Be aware that cholesterol levels tend to be about five to seven milligrams higher in the winter months than in the summer months (regardless of the climate where you live)."
Melinda

Postby kirstykay » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Congratulations to you and your husband, Perla!!!! Great job, and Great advice..."Don't Cheat!" I'm so happy for your success! Thanks for sharing your encouraging story. :nod:
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby peasouper » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:07 am

Well done Perla!

Sue
peasouper

Postby giddyupgin » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:19 pm

Great news form you....now keep on going...can't wait until next year to hear how well you done again...
Have a great ride as we ride through life...
from giddy up gin <^__~~ Wooo....hooo...

http://www.windowpanearts.blogspot.com
http://www.giddyupgin.blogspot.com
giddyupgin

Postby frozenveg » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:02 pm

Perla, you and your husband can be proud of your accomplishments! Congratulations on year one, and here's to a lifetime of health!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 am

Perla, congratulations! :D
ncyg46

Postby carollynne » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:12 am

wow, love to hear such good news, and so nice that your husban d adn you did it together too.
congrats on all of it!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories