Commited to get off medication

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Commited to get off medication

Postby Bsmith » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:20 pm

I've been reading posts here for almost a month now, decide today I could share my great results and seek advice and support. I had a Heart Scan that resulted a pretty high calcium score in October of this last year. Thru a lot of reasearch on my own, I found Dr Esselstyn, and I read his book, and that lead me here.
My Doctor took me from 40mg of simvistatin to 40mg of Crestor after a month of that change and eating like i always had my cholesterol dropped from 209 to 149 , HDL 68, LDL 81. Started eating this diet strictly on 12/2/2010 , and I just had my blood work done this week and... HDL63, LDL34, Total= 107, Tri's =48. My doctor cut my Crestor in half!!!!!!

I'm learning how to eat better everyday, and enjoying the journey!

My goal is to get totally off Crestor ASAP!

Any advice is welcome!!!

Thanks in advance!

Bsmith
Bsmith

Re: Commited to get off medication

Postby nicoles » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Wow Bsmith, that is great news!! Good for you :-D

- Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Love the Lorax » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:07 pm

Awesome! Sounds like you are well on your way to your goal, keep us updated. :nod:
Love the Lorax

Postby Bsmith » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:16 pm

I'm looking forward to reporting my success. I've dropped 15lbs which puts me at what I consider my ideal weight.

And I must say my energy level has not been this high for more years than I can remember. I'll be 52 in 20 days, and must say I feel very empowered by this new found way of life. I just wish I would have found out 20 years ago! But hey! Better now than never!

Bsmith
Bsmith

Postby flabingo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:25 am

According to Dr. Esselstyn, with your HDL of 63, which is a genetic gift, you could be at 200 without a problem. They all suggest the ratio is the important number. But in any case, you have learned that you are now in control of your health. Great job. I did the same thing with my diet and exercise and raised my HDL from 42 to 49 and lowered my LDL from 99 to 40. the doctor reduced my Crestor from 7 per week to one per week.. Will have my next blood test the end of the month, but being on a plant based diet, I already know the number will be fine. I also want to get off Crestor 100%. I learned from Colin Campbell, The China Study, and Dr Esselstyn that the leading Heart Institution, The Cleveland Clinic, is based on pills and procedures, not prevention. I have learned the best insurance policy is by having a healthy lifestyle. But imagine the economic problems if the dairy and meat industries were faced with too many people like us that have proven how to be healthy. The other book I read was Spark, by Ratay who suggests that regular exercise help your brain health.
flabingo

Postby Bsmith » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

flabingo,
I must say in all the reading (Esselstyn, Campbell) I have done I was not aware of the ratio between HDL and LDL. I was firmly under the belief that your total needed to be below 150.

I'm to be retested in 3 months, but I do not want to wait that long, so I'll probably go at 2 months and see how I'm doing. Like you, I'm confident that on my plant based diet, my numbers will be good.

I can't tell you how great it is to find like minded people to share this greet discovery with.

Thanks again,

B Smith
Bsmith

Postby flabingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:17 pm

B Smith,
On page 48 of Esselstyn's book he talks about low HDL and suggests that if you have low HDL(36) it is not a problem if your total is 150. Having a number in the sixties is a genetic gift. My son-in law has 35 HDl and total of 218. It caused his doctor to call him about it. Ratios seem to matter. But since there is no money in doctors teaching prevention, and most don't spend much time talking about it. We are on the right track.
flabingo

Postby Bsmith » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 am

Hello All!

Just wanted to check in and confirm the eating is going great! I just passed the 90 day mark and all cravings are gone. I had read this would happen but must admit I'm quite impressed with the changes my metabolism has gone thru, and my tastes have changed.

As you all know this is a learning curve that must be mastered over time. Also as you know it gets easier as we learn. This site has been very helpful and I thank all that participate to share knowledge.

I'm due to go back for blood work in about 4 weeks. I'm anxious to hopefully getbgreat results and push to reduce mess again!

I'll let you all know how that goes?

Bsmitj
Bsmith

Postby Ricardo » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:21 pm

Bsmith,
please update us with your latest blood test, And how is your dose of Crestor. Did you reduce or get off of it? I would love to know as I have the same objetive as you: to reduce even more my 40 mg a week to 30 and then 20mg a week. I understand that takes a while to see if reduction and total cholesterol rebalance.
Thank you,
Ricardo
Ricardo

Postby Bsmith » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 pm

Ricardo,

I have moved to Texas from Colorado, I'm going back to Doc in Sept. My doctor says I can for sure improve my calcium score, but she says that statins are probably helping me more than hurting me at this time. ? I'm not sure bit this is my status for now. I continue to eat very clean and Running 5 miles a day. I'll post my results as soon as I get them. I feel very in control of my health!

Thanks for asking ,

BSmith
Bsmith

Postby Ricardo » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:57 am

Hi BSmith,
let me know if you got to the doctors and what you heard from them, as I remember you had an appointment this month.

About the statins, I have reduced it from 70 mg a week to just 30 mg a week.
My doctors say that statins (crestor in our case) has other bennefits as to reduce inflamation or fat from arteries.

Ricardo
Ricardo

Postby Bsmith » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Hello Ricardo, Hello All!

I'm so totally excited. I just got my numbers.
It's a year next week I started the McDougall lifestyle. And I must say I have tried to redefine commitment!

I had Blood work done Wed. And my do tor called in disbelief .

My Blood pressure 106/80
HDL 50
LDL 59

CRP is down from 3.4 to 1.4 which really excites me!!!

My doctor is cutting all meds in half!,

This Is Working!!!
Bsmith

Postby jld » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:55 pm

Very exciting! Great job!

I bet your doctor couldn't believe it. He's probably never seen that kind of improvement before!
A clean life is its own reward.
jld

Postby Melinda » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Wonderful! You must feel great!
Melinda

Postby Bsmith » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:56 pm

I feel Great! And I'm more motivated than ever to achieve my goal of getting off the meds.

I'm committed to doing that by this time next year!

To anyone just starting, stay the course you'll be glad you did!
Bsmith

Next

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories