UPDATE 12/5/21. ETeSelle's Testimonial

Share your McDougall successes here in order to inspire others.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: UPDATE 1st post and p. 3: ETeSelle's Testimonial

Postby LoriJenny » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:33 pm

Thanks for posting this...it is very encouraging! And you look terrific!! Congrats! :D :D :D
LoriJenny

Postby Rikki » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:12 am

AMAZING! Congrats!
Last edited by Rikki on Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rikki

Re: ETeSelle's Testamonial: Junk food vegan to fit and fabul

Postby Nettie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:07 am

ETeSelle wrote:....So basically I just eat MWL. Even though I don't need to lose weight anymore, I still feel that it's the best way to eat b/c it emphasizes WHOLE foods, with no processed stuff. Not only is eating that way better for you, but it prevents me from ending up w/ stuff in my house that is a pleasure trap for me.

Congratulations, ETeSelle! You look mah-ve-lous!

I've been eating regular plan lately and have gained about 10 pounds, :mad: so it's back to MWL for me!

I've made the veggie lasagna with low fat tofu, Shredded Wheat 'n Bran w/ soy milk (containing sugar), air popped popcorn, large servings of oatmeal - and packed on the pounds, bit by bit. I also added a cup of green tea a few days a week with a little honey.

I've become convinced - reminded, really - that we can't change our body chemistry much by eating this way. By that I mean I've always been exquisitely sensitive to refined carbs, and losing over 150 pounds hasn't really changed that; I still am sensitive to them and will gain weight when I eat them. Darn it! I can't get away with anything!

ETeSelle wrote:.... I may occasionally eat those things (bread, tofu, etc.) but I want to eat it OUT, not IN, b/c that way it's not available for me to binge on.

Smart girl. Know thyself. Even after 5 years, I still have to avert my eyes when I find myself walking down the candy aisle at Wal-Mart. Meat and dairy I don't miss, but sweets will always call to me, so I have to keep them out of my house. I'm amazed, really, that I still have that visceral reaction to certain foods, but there you have it. :?

ETeSelle wrote:....I actually think that maintaining will be at least as hard as losing!

It has been difficult for me, in a sense, because I'm a goal-oriented person. Once I reached my goal, it's like, "Now what?"

You just have to live your life daily, without the compliments that come along as you're losing weight and the decreasing numbers on the scale. And that for me is a challenge. I do still weigh myself once a week, and record it, just to stay on top of things.

It helps to run across pictures of myself at 300 pounds. Oh, yes, now I remember the misery...

Anyway, congratulations on getting your new life!

Nettie
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always be what you've always been.

Star_McDougaller

Nettie

Postby ETeSelle » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:51 am

THANK YOU, Nettie. You're my hero, so it's very helpful to hear that you've had those problems and that my plan seems a good one. I tend not to be so attacted to sweets--for me it's the stuff that kinda LOOKS healthy, you know? It's stuff I can sliiiide in there little by little. But that happened to you, too--with the tofu lasagne, etc. It seems like "just a little" more, so you think it won't matter, but it does. For me, at least, it's a slippery slope, so I just need to stay well back from the edge! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby lydia » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:48 am

Wow, ETeStelle, I just saw your before and after pictures!!!! Wow!! you look great. It amazes me how much younger people look ...and a new vibrant energy shines through the pictures. People really do feel better after losing that extra weight, not to mention the great nutrition of this way of eating.
Size 6....wow....I think I skipped that number ...Anyhow, just stopping be to say thanks for posting your picture and spurring me on to lose a few pounds . I appreciate your posts on this site...
lydia

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am

lydia wrote:Size 6....wow....I think I skipped that number ...Anyhow, just stopping be to say thanks for posting your picture and spurring me on to lose a few pounds . I appreciate your posts on this site...

:lol: I think I missed it too--because they didn't HAVE size 6 back when I was small! The lowest size was 8! Really, anybody remember the petite clothing shop line--they were called The 5-7-9 Shops!?! 5 was the smallest petite size, not ZERO!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby ETeSelle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:47 am

frozenveg wrote: :lol: I think I missed it too--because they didn't HAVE size 6 back when I was small! The lowest size was 8! Really, anybody remember the petite clothing shop line--they were called The 5-7-9 Shops!?! 5 was the smallest petite size, not ZERO!

Yup. It's absurd. I was in college 1980-84 and I was size 10. My clothes from then fit me now. So 10 in 1980 is 6 now.

I'll take it, though, LOL!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Re: ETeSelle's Testimonial: Junk food vegan to fit and fabul

Postby Wendy » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Jenn wrote:ET,
Upon reading your post, I realized that we all struggle with the same things - whether we want to loose 100 lbs. or 10 lbs. it takes the same amount of will power to get started and stay consistent. I started McDougalling in Nov. 2007 and by Jan.12 2008 had lost the 15 lbs. I had tried YEARS to loose. It felt effortless. But recently I have caved to cravings (started so gradually) because I have 4 kids (who like their sweets) and a hubby who (used to) not be on board. Wait...those are excuses. It's really all my fault for losing my will power and gaining back the 15 lbs. I am trying to get just one perfect "MWL" week under my belt - but I keep failing. I don't know why it was so easy for me before? I mostly cheat on sweets (baked goods) that are around for the kids cause I can't bring myself to ban the food from the house - I feel like it will cause them eating disorders if I am too controlling. Also, I enjoy oil in my salad dressings, and in my stir fries etc. etc.
I just want to be in control and fit in my clothes and feel great again like I did. So here goes nothing... Maybe my first posting will be motivation enough to get some stinkin' will power! Geeezzze!! I'm stuck in the pleasure trap for sure, and the only person who can get me out is ME!!

You've nailed it... it's the pleasure trap. There's nothing pleasurable about it. Good feels bad. Right seems wrong. I would love to hear how successful McDougallers got through the Pleasure Trap. How do those who have lost the weight stay out of the trap in the beginning of losing weight.
Wendy

Re: ETeSelle's Testimonial: Junk food vegan to fit and fabul

Postby ETeSelle » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Wendy wrote:I would love to hear how successful McDougallers got through the Pleasure Trap. How do those who have lost the weight stay out of the trap in the beginning of losing weight.

I was just really, really strict. No feast days, no nuthin', for the first few months. After that amount of time you have new habits and your taste buds have changed--sweet stuff tastes too sweet and salty stuff is unbearable.

For me, anyway, it's NOW that's harder. Today I went out for lunch to a Mediterranean place my friend and I love. I got the buffet. I made only vegan choices, but of course there's oil. I only had one medium-sized plate and didn't go back--this is less than half the food I would have had back in the Bad Old Days. But I still feel worried now. I don't think I SHOULD, really--it's been weeks since I ate even slightly off plan and I'm doing great. But bells go off in my head and I feel panicky.

That said, it's NEVER as good as I think it will be. What I had for lunch was NOT better than the meals I make at home. I need to remember that, b/c in future I should just go back to what I have been getting there in past months--side of lentils and rice and a little hummus. That's plenty for me and I love it--no need to get the buffet, but it "calls" to me from the Pleasure Trap!
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Bugg » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:33 pm

ET, you look great. As long as you feel that uncomfortable with eating oily food at a buffet, you should be fine with maintenance. It's when you get in the HABIT of eating off plan that you need a wake up call.
Bugg

Postby Mayflowers » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:19 pm

Hi,
I noticed your HDL is low. It should be higher than your LDL. Omega 3's will raise it up higher. Flax seeds, nuts. ;)
Mayflowers

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:02 am

Mayflowers wrote:Hi,
I noticed your HDL is low. It should be higher than your LDL. Omega 3's will raise it up higher. Flax seeds, nuts. ;)

Um . . no, that's wrong. I've never even heard of anyone whose HDL is higher than their LDL--b/c when LDL goes down, so does HDL. The only reason conventional doctors want HDL as high as possible is b/c its job is to help clean out the LDL, esp. cholesterol taken in externally via food. But it doesn't help a BIT to have a "high" HDL of 60-80 when your LDL is 200. ;)

There is no reason at all, if you are McDougalling, to spend even 10 seconds worrying about your HDL. Lots more on this from Dr. McDougall here:

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... pufav5.htm

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... sterol.htm
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

Postby Birdy » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:02 am

Hi ETeSelle. I want to thank you for this series of posts on your testimonial. I've had a problem with high blood pressure which reached 180/100 a few weeks ago. It's now down somewhat, but still stage two hypertension. I'm trying to bring it down with diet and exercise. Quite an adjustment and I've a long way to go. The fact that eliminating caffeine brought your bp down to normal is surprising. I'm going to try that and see what happens. Also, I don't know if you have ever practiced yoga or not, but for some people apparently it has been the thing that finally brought down bp. I'm trying that too. Best to you!
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Postby Starchyme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Birdy, you may be pleasantly surprised if you give up the caffeine that the BP will come down. I was scheduled a few years ago to go on meds. I asked the doctor if I could wait 10 days (cause I was going to NAVS conference) and wanted to ask Dr. McDougall about it. He mentioned the caffeine and I went off for 10 days. What a surprise in the difference. In a few months it had become an average of 115/60-something. So, if you elect to give it a try, let us know what ensues after a few weeks totally off.

I might add I was a coffee-addict. But the results of giving it up (no BP med.) far outweighs the few minutes of pleasure I was getting.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby ETeSelle » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Yeah, I'll be interested to see if mine comes down still more, given what Dr. Esselstyn told me (see the BP thread) about caffeine damaging the endothelial cells (in the lining of the blood vessels). He said that the research suggests that the endothelial layer will repair over time, so that I can probably expect continued improvement as my cells regenerate and repair the lining. :)
Elizabeth
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

ETeSelle

PreviousNext

Return to Testimonials and Success Stories