The Behavioral Path to MWL Success - March 2022 Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Off Topic thread for Behavioral Group

Postby Noella » Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:48 pm

I really like hearing everyone's MWL meal ideas. Here is what I have been up to in our kitchen this week:
I love pasta. Happily I recently found an Italian brand (RUMMO) of wholewheat semolina pasta that is great. It has a single ingredient: organic wholewheat semolina. I have pasta for at least one meal every couple of days. I like all sorts of other starches, too. I find I eat a much broader range of foods now than before starting to cook the MWL way. I used to think about what I was making for meals based on a recipe - now I just ask myself "Which starch do I want today?" or "Which precooked starch (batch cooking) do I want to reheat with some veggies for dinner tonight?" then I build a meal around the starch by choosing a couple veggies: carrots, kale, broccoli, etc. I make up mixtures of spices to add flavours to the starch. Italian- basil parsley, thyme, red chili flakes, marjoram, garlic, and balsamic vinegar, Mexican - Green chilis, Onion Powder, Garlic, Chili Powder, Red pepper flakes, Oregano, Paprika, Cumin, Black pepper, and lime juice/zest; Greek - Oregano, Garlic Powder, Onion Flakes, Basil, Dill Weed, Dried Parsley, Black Pepper, Marjoram, Thyme, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and lemon juice and/or zest); Indian coriander, cumin, garam masala, turmeric, ground black pepper, fresh garlic and ginger.

Tonight we had a plain dinner. No spice. I sometime like these the most. so tonight's dinner was roasted delicata squash. That was the starch. We had a huge salad of mixed greens, chopped tomatoes, minced green onion, corn and baked black beans to start. Then delicata squash and steamed lacinato kale for the main dish.

For the last couple day's dinners and lunches, I made similar dishes but switched out the starch: one day roasted potatoes, the next, pasta, but both starches were topped with the same exact assortment of chopped veggies. I sometimes remember to give our meals a special name that sounds delicious...like pasta prima vera Doesn't that sound sound much more appetizing than saying here is your no-salt/no-oil added wholegrain pasta and vegetables. I also like to set the table attractively and garnish the plates of food.
To make Pasta Prima Vera (not a real recipe, although it sounds like it., right? haha); just what I made up; something quick and easy when we got home after travelling to be with my daughter for a few days.,I heated some frozen green peas (quite a lot of green peas, as I really like them), then once the green peas were boiling, I turned off the heat and added some precooked pasta (spaghetti), then, when the pasta was heated through (2 minutes) I topped it with chopped green onions, green bell pepper and tomatoes. It was quick, simple and absolutely delicious. It was so delicious I made the exact same thing again for lunch today simply switching the pasta for roasted potatoes as the starch.

Moonlight-- I enjoyed reading about your gardening ideas. We will have snow for another month. so we aren't thinking about gardening quite yet. We can grow cold crops here though so we will be growing some kale. My daughter was able to grow kale through the whole winter and she had more than she could eat.

I want to try making the roasted root vegetable soup that mentioned! It sounds really lovely. My husband loves cheese and salt too and he adds oil based salad dressings, parmesan cheese and chipotle mayonnaise sauce to almost everything he eats. ( I never ever liked those things so it doesn't entice me in the least)

Stephanie-- I like your finger food ideas for salads. That's an idea that will work for salads, or preloads, for me, too. Your pea soup every day sounds perfect! I have been craving split pea soup. I love it! I make an old favourite recipe (without any added oil) and it is amazingly delicious. I want to grow a 'salsa' garden, too! What a great idea! We have just started a the 'phase one' of our bee and butterfly garden last year. I really like the idea of adding some plants and bushes for the birds. We have bears that immediately destroy any bird feeders we have ever put up, but there might be a bush that bird , bees and butterflies like that won't attract bears. Nothing worse than having a big old bear sleeping outside our front door....happily our wonderfully observant neighbour noticed and phoned us to warn us "DONOT to open your front door! haha! True story! A beautiful young oak tree was near our front door and the bear must of eaten All of the acorns, then decided to take a nap. We had to cut that oak tree down because it attracted the bears to get acorns every fall.

Marilyn -- Stephanie mentioned it, but I want to repeat it...I really enjoyed reading about how your sense of taste has changed. Mine hase too. Yes, who would of thought that we would love asomething as simple as a roasted potatoes with a bit of mustard. I like horseradish on my roasted potatoes every now and then.

Daydream--I didn't know about roasting mushrooms. You made them sound very tasty. do you marinate them?

I hope you all have a wonderful week!
Noella
Last edited by Noella on Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby squealcat » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:17 pm

I have read about so many good meal ideas here ! Now I want to roast some mushrooms !!

My favorite meal is multi bean soup. The recipe is in the cookbook called "Vegan Under Pressure" by Jill Nussinow. I skip the bean sausages and keep the rest of the recipe. I like to pour it over rice sometimes too ! Those beans make a real nice gravy texture. I make a lot of the recipes from that book. It is my most used one ! I just made the mushroom soup recipe from that book too but skipped the nuts and it turned out just fine ! I may put it over mashed potatoes. Making that soup is the reason why I have not mushrooms to roast. :lol:

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Hope that you are all having a great week!!!

Have enjoyed reading about favorite foods!!!

Daydream, I never would have guessed that you love the Japanese sweet potatoes!!! :D Seriously, thank you for sharing your prep routine!!! I eat similar, but probably more Yukon Gold and less sweet potatoes... You have made me hungry for roasted mushrooms and I am going to make some today!!!

Moonlight, your root veggie soup sounds delicious!!! I am going to definitely try -- as well as the thyme seasoning!!

Noella, Thank you for posting all of the spice combinations! I have saved this for future reference. I am still exploring all of the spices. My current favorite is smoked paprika, rosemary, garlic - can't get enough of that combo!!! Liked your description of your bee & butterfly garden --- can't imagine bears getting the bird feeders (and being outside of your front door)!!! :eek: Makes me feel better only having to deal with squirrels and rabbits!!!

Marilyn, Your soups sound good!!! I don't have that cookbook, but going to check it out.

Does anyone have any thoughts on defeating the mid-winter doldrums?? Beyond counting down the days until Spring??

I spent some time yesterday shopping for little Valentine's gifts and looking over seeds... Haven't gone out for my walk yet - it is cloudy and cold...

Happy weekend!

Best,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:45 pm

Hey Moonlight!

Thank you so much for your reply and ideas!! These are super helpful in many ways!!!

I am so looking forward to outside garden!!! Have plan to do some sunflowers too - which I haven't tried before... I got plants (web-link) from my SIL that she has used here / in this grow zone (and I have seen flourish) to attract bee / butterfly / bird... Thankful for that !!!!

Like so much your posts on indoor gardening!!! I can't find the LOVE / LOVE / LOVE button or I would use!!!

I really like what you said about sprouting. I am starting inside small .... (don't want to fail)... Definitely, I will try!!! Going to think of as a science experiment.... I totally would aspire to the inside lettuce!! OMG!!! :)

Everyone,

If you haven't yet watched Dr. McD's lecture "Why Am I Fat?", I would highly recommend. It's 3:18 - with the lecture being about 1:25 and then questions (with Mary too!). Watched today and was super impressed by this. Love / love / love emoji s/b here!!! Looking forward to his new website on climate change and how to help.

Happy Valentine's Day to All!!!!

Cheers,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby squealcat » Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:10 pm

Stephanie, I definitely need to watch that McDougall YouTube talk. I saw it but haven't watched yet except for the short part with Esther. Maybe tomorrow !

Just want to say that I have been (on purpose) noticing how I feel while eating this way. It helps keep me motivated. Walking upstairs is much easier, I feel like my thinking is clearer, my mood is much improved (I have been very stressed about my son's upcoming wedding even though there is only so much I can do ), my pants are fitting better .....not tight-feeling. So far, that is all I have noticed but I will continue to note changes as I go along.

Oh, since my stress level is lower, I am sleeping better too !!

I just made that Zucchini soup again. I added dried basil since I don't have fresh and it worked really well ! I love that soup !

-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:11 am

Hi Team Time & Adherence! :-D

Hope that everyone is having a great week!!!

Marilyn! - Loved what you posted below -- so many non-scale victories!! Awesome!!!

Wondering if anyone has any others that they want to share with the group?

squealcat wrote:Just want to say that I have been (on purpose) noticing how I feel while eating this way. It helps keep me motivated. Walking upstairs is much easier, I feel like my thinking is clearer, my mood is much improved (I have been very stressed about my son's upcoming wedding even though there is only so much I can do ), my pants are fitting better .....not tight-feeling. So far, that is all I have noticed but I will continue to note changes as I go along.

Oh, since my stress level is lower, I am sleeping better too !!

(Marilyn)

Here are some things that I am thankful for --- improvements since following MWL checklist:
* Clearer skin
* Clockwork digestion :mrgreen:
* Can zip pants !!! :lol:
* Want to exercise; more energy to exercise - longer, faster, etc.
* My rings are not tight
* Better sleeping
* More calm :eek:
* No random aches / pains

Best,
Stephanie

VegSeekingFit

Postby Noella » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:06 am

VegSeekingFit wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on defeating the mid-winter doldrums?? Beyond counting down the days until Spring??

I spent some time yesterday shopping for little Valentine's gifts and looking over seeds... I haven't gone out for my walk yet - it is cloudy and cold...

Happy weekend!

Best,
Stephanie

What a good idea to share Ideas! I would love to hear everyone's thoughts on overcoming the mid-winter doldrums.

I have been rereading/viewing videos featuring tips from Dr. Lisle and Jeff Novick, the success stories on the main McDougall website and the Dr. McDougall videos. These are inspiring and motivating.

Best regards, Noella
Last edited by Noella on Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby carwex » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi ladies of MWL,

After just returning to the new improved MWL I just found this additional thread and I'd really like to join. It's what I need - like-minded women who are doing what I'm doing-ie eating plant based and specifically MWL. I have been plant-based on McDougall for over 11 years but my weight only got to where ii wanted when I started following MWL. I started at the beginning of the covid pandemic. I remember that some of you also date from that period. Joining you would make me feel a little less lonely. There is no one I know who eats like I eat. Even my husband expects non-compliant foods. I don't expect anyone to eat like me but it still amazes me that no one does! I am 2 months away from turning 80. I am thin (after a lifetime of being overweight) and energetic, have no underlying conditions, take no medications. People around me know that but no one seems to want to do it. I'm always the odd ball, not that that deters me but still...
Since I eat mainly legumes and rice or potatoes/veggies and salads for most meals, I need to find new dishes that are compliant but easy.
I sometimes make polenta which is delicious and as easy as oatmeal to make, except that you have to keep stirring it to get the right texture I usually do 1 cup of coarse cornmeal to 3 cups of water or veggie stock, but half way through I throw in corn shaved off the cob to give the polenta more corn flavor and more texture. I use the corn cobs for enriching the taste of veggie stock. As a topping for the polenta, I use veggies roasted in the oven, like red peppers (preferably skinned), onion chunks, zucchini, eggplant, green beans, tomatoes, lots of cilantro, parsley and garlic. If you skin roasted peppers the slimy texture is reminiscent of oil. Quite luxurious.The non-compliant can add cheese.
Looking forward to more sharing.
Carol
carwex

Postby carwex » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:15 pm

Hi Moonlight and Daydream (love the names you chose),
First let me correct what I said about roasted peppers above. The peppers need to be Red not Green. For some reason roasting the red peppers til blistery and then removing the skin when they cool down- cannot be done successfully with green peppers.

Secondly, thanks for welcoming me to this special club of MWL devotees. I for one need to have the support of others whom I can identify with. I am at a particularly confusing juncture of my journey, have reached goal weight and am afraid of getting any thinner (mainly bec of my age -nearly 80). The MWL plan is so efficient that one can lose quite consistently. So the common sense thing to do is to add in some of the non-compliant foods. Unfortunately I have found that this does not work for me. Reaching for nuts, seeds, tehina, avocados, in other words higher fat foods, and bread leads me eventually down the path to the dreaded Pleasure Trap. The next step is oil itself, peanut butter and more bread and weight gain! So i realize (from some of the comments that Mark made over in the Behaviorlal thread) that my next challenge is to maintain the MWL plan but not lose weight. I think I'm up to it. Time and effort are the key -needed for the solution of any problem. And we know what a problem the eating-overeating-weight gain-body fat problem can be!
I am so happy with my MWL foods most of the time. But it sometimes girls just want to have FUN. And fun translates into food! Going out to eat is a real problem. The city is very vegan aware but I found only one small restaurant that has compliant dishes.

Here's to everyone's success with MWL!!
Carol
carwex

Postby squealcat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 6:35 pm

Good evening everyone ! I have read everyone's posts and love what you have all been saying !

Carol, reading about your polenta makes my mouth water ! I love the taste of polenta and putting roasted vegetables on it sounds amazing !

Winter doldrums? Yes, I am there ! today was an especially grey day which made me feel :( . However, my granddaughter came over today and we baked vegan chocolate chip cookies together and had a lot of laughs. She is 9 and did all the measuring herself and pouring the vanilla turned into OVER pouring so we just renamed the cookies vanilla cookies with chocolate chips :lol: . We had a great time together and it passed the time but I was very tired after she left. I have been knitting the last month or so too and that helps in the evenings. Reading helps but what I look forward to is walking outside again ! Being outside in the fresh air is very healing and I hope I can do that soon.

Today as I was getting dressed I noticed that my shirt was loose around the hips (YAY!). Another positive about following MWL ! I was also thinking yesterday that I haven't had a headache in months and months .....but had one today :roll: (I don't think it is as bad as they usually are so maybe will be gone tomorrow ).

Anyway, that is it for me right now. Keep the comments coming !
-squealcat (Marilyn)
squealcat

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:47 am

March 2022 RESOURCES
This section will be updated throughout the month with links to useful resources, as they are added to the thread.

Orientation Information for Time & Adherence:
The Behavioral Path to MWL Success

MWL 10-Point Checklist
MWL Program Guidelines
Calorie Density: How To Eat More, Weigh Less and Live Longer
MWL Recipes
SNAP Meal Template
1- 28 oz Can No Salt Added Tomatoes
1- 16 oz Bag Frozen Mixed Veggies (any type)
1- 4 oz Frozen Green Leafy Vegetables (collard, turnip, mustard, etc)
1- Around 200-250 Calories of a Cooked Starch (Brown rice, Yam, Potato, WW Pasta, etc)
1- Seasoning (to your preference)

200- 250 Calories Of Starch options
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Medium Potatoes
~ 1.25 to 1.5 Cups (Cooked) Whole Wheat Penne Pasta
~ 1 to 1.25 Cups (Cooked) Brown Rice

The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits
The Pleasure Trap: Dr. Doug Lisle at TedxFremont
How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind with Dr. Doug Lisle
Dr. Doug Lisle on The Ego Trap
Dr. Doug Lisle: The Story of Willpower – What it Is & How it Works
Dr. Lisle's Three Top Tips for Dietary Success
Jeff Novick, RD - Nutrition & Health FAQ: Answers To The Most Asked Questions
A Review of the Rules & Guidelines for Reading Labels
Passive Overconsumption: The Unintended Intake of Excess Calories
Why We Hit Plateaus and What We Can Do About Them
Top 10 Reasons for Lack of Success
Dining Out and Travel Food
Exercise, Health & You: How Much Is Enough?
Optimum BMI? / Optimal BMI - redux
Building Self-Efficacy
You Are Not Broken
wildgoose - How I determined my "goal weight"
Amy's Giant List of Links to Dr. Lisle's Lectures
Mark Cooper

March!

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:56 am

Welcome to the March group thread!

What would you like to accomplish in the weeks ahead? What are your primary goals for this month? What are you looking forward to in March?

Personally, I am anxious for warmer weather (let's hope it materializes :shock: ), and I'm looking forward to taking my daughter to a show on Broadway - her very first! Also, I have Hawaiian sweet potatoes on the way that should arrive soon; I expect I'll be bringing some of those along (steamed), with broccoli and apples for our day in NYC. :)
Mark Cooper

Re: March!

Postby wildgoose » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:19 am

Mark Cooper wrote:What would you like to accomplish in the weeks ahead? What are your primary goals for this month? What are you looking forward to in March?

I’m looking forward to melting snow! To getting the car out of the garage, where it’s been stored all winter (we only drive one car in the winter, and that very sparingly). To getting the windows in the back half of the house replaced (we've been on the list since November). To getting Phase 2 of extensive dental work done.

The dental work prompts a story that proves how deeply ingrained our attraction to hyper palatable food is. I had to be sedated for some extensive procedures a few weeks ago. The Gander says that, on the way home (a 50-mile drive), I was repeatedly asking to stop at Dairy Queen! I remember none of this, of course :lol:, but the dental technician said I was saying the same thing while I was still in the office. I haven’t had Dairy Queen in a long time, but obviously the memories are still there.

I’ve gotten a little sloppy with my program these last few weeks. Time for a "spring cleaning." My weight isn’t reflecting my less-than-ideal behavior (so it would be easy for me to claim that it hasn’t been a problem), but I feel much better when I eat the way I should. I’m sure the areas of my health that I can’t see will be affected as well.

Mark, I look forward to a report on both the Broadway show and the Hawaiian sweet potatoes!

Goose
My story: MWL works!
How I determined my "goal weight"
wildgoose

Re: March!

Postby Obadiah » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:00 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:Welcome to the March group thread!

What would you like to accomplish in the weeks ahead? What are your primary goals for this month? What are you looking forward to in March?

The first goal is to follow the ten points perfectly one meal at a time.

The second goal is to listen to all the videos you posted.

We plant peas and small seeds on St. Patrick's day.
Obadiah

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:48 pm

Hi, Obadiah! Those seem like excellent goals to get March started! If you haven't already, be sure and take some time to review the Orientation Information for the group; it has pretty much everything you need to know about how Time + Adherence works. :D

Wishing you all the best with that ongoing dental work, wildgoose; I'm sure it isn't much fun. I loved that funny story. The memory of those hyperpalatable foods can really forge a strong impression in our minds it seems. :wink:
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program