November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Health 1st » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:13 am

Hello Mark + Everyone,

Despite my plan to have started back on MWL this week, I never did (not even The McDougall Plan or even WFPB :roll: ), so please add me as starting out, + I'll post a 10 point checklist next Friday/Saturday. Thank you!

The reasons why I stepped away from the Group about a month ago have continued + changed a bit. The bottom line is that life has just been too busy + this week ended up with me being even more sleep deprived. I know everyone's lives are busy + stressful, so I never ever mean for anyone to think that I think my life is any busier, etc. than any one else's.

With so much going on, I have put all that + other people 1st, which is good + I have no regrets. But I have to start putting my physical health 1st or else I either will be of no help to anyone or won't even survive; yes, the lack of sleep, the lack of healthy eating, + negative physical symptoms I'm experiencing have been that bad. :-(

Glasses (filled with water) raised to us all having a great MWL week! :)
Health 1st

Postby texaslil » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:28 am

+2.8 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO, had some chocolate
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). NO ate peanut butter
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES,

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
First I want to apologize for being MIA these past two weeks.. with some work travel(last week) and big upcoming changes at work I have been a bit off schedule. Having said that I knew there would be some setbacks with the travel, during which time I did eat out but at a wfpb no oil restaurant, they do use nuts though. But this last week I was pretty much adherent and gained so much! I've been wondering if I should stop weighing myself each week and perhaps move to a monthly schedule... it makes me so depressed to see the numbers go up.

As always, I do feel like I continue to maintain but it's increasingly frustrating to see that I am not losing.

Hope everyone is well, I have been reading through everyone's posts and trying to catch up.

Have a great weekend everyone!
texaslil

Postby Noella » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi Mark,

Yay! Down 5 pounds :nod:

It’s been a long, but good week, and I feel like have travelled a great distance: from despair to relief! I was shocked by a sudden weight increase of five pounds last week and I’m similarly relieved at the 5 pound loss this week. I don’t usually weigh myself every day, but I’m glad I did this week because it was reassuring to see the gradual and steady weight drop of almost a pound each day. Last Friday I carefully analyzed my adherence to the MWL behaviours when I was puzzled by my sudden weight gain. Mark, Wildgoose and Stephanie came to my rescue. Thank you so much! I needed your help so much at that moment. As I read your encouraging words I was overcome by emotion. Thank you, thank you, thank you for caring enough to reach out to me and help. Each time I reread your words and considered your questions I gained more clarity, knowledge and courage to follow the MWL behaviours, perhaps better than I ever have before. I’m so grateful for your help!

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes. This week I had a salad or vegetable soup.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes. Mark, Wildgoose and Stephanie’s comments helped me to realize that I was eating too many servings of fruit each day. So this week I had just four servings of fruit, in total, for the entire week and I had each of these for dessert after dinner. (An apple topped with a sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and baked in the oven for an hour is a delicious dessert!)
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes. I went easy with the sea salt I bought recently. (Seasonello brand sea salt with iodine is a brand that Jeff Novick recommended.) I was overdoing it with this salt thinking it was ‘healthy.’ However, too much sodium is simply too much sodium, no matter what the source. Lesson learned.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes, water and herbal tea.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes, I finally know when I’m hungry and when I am “comfortably full.” This week I didn’t eat fruit unless I was actually hungry. What a difference.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes, a bit better this week and the cross country ski trails the nearby mountains will be opening soon. I can’t wait!

I started focussing on eating starch on December 29, 2019. I started MWL on April 1, 2020.

“The positive psychological benefits may prevent relapses to the old eating habits, especially since a positive self-image encourages more positive and life-supportive behaviors.”
— John A. McDougall
Noella

Reporting for November 5 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for November 5 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:48 pm

cmcavazos2 - Kudos to you for persistently working your way back to being on track! It can be really effortful to do so, right? Something that has really been helpful for me, Christine, has been to spend a little time putting together a "toolbox" of solid coping strategies that are unconnected to food behaviors. That way, when I have a tough day, or am faced with problems, I can turn toward that "toolbox" instead of seeking comfort in ways that are incongruent with my goals. I've found that getting really specific about what my "tools" are (what works for me) and having a clear list of what to do when I'm feeling overwhelmed is invaluable. Just an idea, that you might try. :) Keep striving toward what you want to achieve.

Gimmelean - 10 YESes makes for a solid week, and a GREAT way to start November! :thumbsup: Carry on!

George Ohwell - Woo-hoo! Down 2 lbs! Nice progress in your practice of the recommended behaviors, and cheers to you for making headway in finding "comfortably full." :nod: May you have comfortable days, free from back & neck pains in the week to come. :)

Hope410 - And a drop of 2 pounds for you, too! Plus, you did pretty well sticking with the recommended foods, as well. Was the sandwich something you had been craving, or did it arise out of the late night situation? Get to the root in eliminating that little remaining deviation and make a date with yourself for some exercise and you'll be 100%! :thumbsup:

squealcat - You are making progress in the right direction, Marilyn! Escaping the Pleasure Trap can be quite an ordeal. Building a habit of getting out of the kitchen after you finish a meal, and having a break in another room seems like a useful routine to test out. In general, the more you can set things up so that you don't have to rely on "willpower" the more successful you are likely to be. Having some of your favorite adherent foods prepped and ready for whenever you run into an obstacle can be really helpful, too. As you said, with continuing effort and attention "it will come." On you go!

BambiS - Welcome! :D Today is always the best day to get started practicing the recommended pattern of behavior, and that is a path toward improved health, too!

CUgorji22 - Hi! Welcome back to the group. Let me offer my condolences for the loss of your father. May fond memories of him bring you comfort during this difficult time. Setbacks are almost inevitable, but what matters most is what we make of things and where we find ourselves in the end, no matter the starting (or restarting) point. This time of year seems like an ideal time to reengage in the practice of MWL as your healing continues. :)

Health 1st - Well, as I remarked above, no matter what day it happens to be, TODAY is always the best day to begin. Here's hoping the days ahead are less taxing and stressful for you. However, if we wait for ideal conditions to get started we may be waiting indefinitely, no? Adhering to MWL isn't easy, but it can almost always be accommodated - we are eating food regardless, right? So endeavor to make that food ADHERENT. Keep things simple, and oriented toward the minimal necessary effort, and focus on the fundamentals. Small wins stack up and lead to bigger victories. The sooner you get started, the sooner you will experience the benefits; don't rob yourself of that. :)

texaslil - Offer yourself some compassion, Laila; it sounds like you did pretty well while traveling and managing a fluid schedule. I totally understand how demoralizing it can feel when the scale result seems inconsistent with our self-assessment (and our hopes and goals). Ultimately, though, our goal isn't about any single time we step on the scale, but rather building, practicing and maintaining a pattern of behavior that results in healthy, sustainable weight loss. The best way to do that is by adhering to the MWL 10-Point Checklist, and the more we can arrange our environment, routine, AND point-of-view in service of adherence the easier success is to attain. Focus on the PROCESS and the OUTCOME will take care of itself, given time + adherence. I know that is easy to say, but hard to do - if we stumble, we have to dust ourselves off and get right back on the path. Have a great week!

Noella - YAY! There you go! I think you handled the past week exactly right, you took a careful look at your adherence to the recommendations, adjusted as needed, and saw the results! Good for you and keep it up!
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - November 5, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:06 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for November 5 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for November 5 - Part 2

By my count, 13 participants reported for our first November 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the first Friday in November:

Week ending 11/05/2021: 13 participants reported a total change of -8.60 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Texaslil +2.80
Gimmelean +0.80
Cmcavazos2 +0.40
Total gains: +4.00
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
BambiS 0.00
CUgorji22 0.00
GreenFroG 0.00
Health 1st 0.00
Rebecka22 -0.20
Squealcat -0.40
George Ohwell -2.00
Hope410 -2.00
VegSeekingFit -3.00
Noella -5.00
Total losses: -12.60
Cumulative group loss for November 2021 to date: 8.60 pounds
Average loss for week ending November 5: 0.66 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2021: 18.84 pounds
Cumulative group loss for October 2021: 7.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 12, 2021.

And November is off and running! My compliments to those who participated this week; your efforts to practice MWL in our challenging modern environment set you apart from the vast majority of society. Don't neglect putting in the work, but know, too, that our current world often runs counter to our goals; obstacles and challenges will arise - take them seriously, but don't forget to treat yourself with kindness and compassion, as well.

We will start this month with a review of what I think is a really important and valuable article from Jeff, particularly relevant to the hurdles and distractions of daily life in the 21st century and directly pertinent to some of the issues that came up in our discussion this week: The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits

Definitely read the entire article, but I do want to highlight the closing paragraphs,
JeffN wrote:Keeping Focused
When you are at the program, you get the same message from me, Mary, John, Anthony, Doug and Heather. Find a few simple recipes you like and repeat them. Find a simple and safe form of activity you like and repeat it.

The power of the repetition of simple changes to form new habits and behaviors is fairly consistent and strong. The time frame for developing new habits is not the same for everyone. It may take a few weeks for some and a few months for others. But, in the end, the process is the same. Consistent repetition of simple changes forms new habits and behaviors.

We have a history of clients who have been able to maintain high levels of success on these programs before any of this constant flow of information was available. Find a few simple recipes and a simple and safe form of activity or two that you like and then repeat over and over (and over and over).

Really excellent advice, that! Get to it!

Be well, everyone, and have a fabulous week!
Mark Cooper

Postby Melissa B. » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:08 am

Hi, Mark,

I would like to join this November group. I signed up before but forgot to post. Do I just check in on Fridays?

Thank you,

Melissa
Melissa B.

Postby Mark Cooper » Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:02 pm

Melissa B. wrote:Hi, Mark,

I would like to join this November group. I signed up before but forgot to post. Do I just check in on Fridays?

Thank you,

Melissa

That is correct; self-assessment and weigh-in reports with the MW1 10-Point Checklist are on Fridays. All the necessary information for the group can be found in the Orientation materials.
Mark Cooper

Postby BambiS » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:45 am

Weight change +/- in lbs:first weigh in 215.3 on Sunday 11/7
Weight 11/12 209.9

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.y
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).y
6. Eliminate any added oil.y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.y
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).y

Victories, comments, concerns, questions
I hope I’m doing this correctly, it is my first weigh in.
I started plant based 1 1/2yr ago. I had some slips with sugar and oil along the way. I was reading other vegan plans getting things mixed up, I never ate meat or dairy. I’m glad to be in the group to keep me accountable. I’ve made some great recipes from the MWL board this week.
I’m thrilled with my first 5 days weight loss, 5.4 loss
Bambi
BambiS

Postby squealcat » Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:49 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: starting weight for November: 197.5, 11/5/21: 197.1, 11/12/21: 195.6
loss this week: -1.5 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.yes for all meals but one
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.yes for all meals but one
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.I did this for all meals except two
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).yes
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).four meals had higher fat
6. Eliminate any added oil.two meals I ate out probably had oil
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.I count four meals that had higher calorie dense foods
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).yes !
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.Three different times were tough for me. The rest of the time went great !
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).yes !

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:I got out my old checklist for following the 10 MWL points. When I see all the times I made those checkmarks (yesses ) , it made me feel really good. I had two days that were pretty tough but I tried not to feel bad . I just went on to the next meal ! I listened to Dr Lisle's "Cram Circuit" talk and made some changes. I was able to just have those couple (sometimes more) meals that were off and not make it a whole "off" week. This week's problem was grabbing snacks at my daughter's house. They are all normal eaters so they have a candy bowl that they leave out. I learned to not even look at it, eat my lunch and then leave the room to read for the rest of my break. I may ask my daughter to hide that bowl next week. Pretty sure she will do that for me.

I was pretty happy to get in activity every day this week. The weather was pretty good so I could walk outdoors and I didn't have to leave early to watch my little grandson so that helped.

I want to make eating this way automatic and I know that the only way to do this is repeat, repeat, repeat. So on I go ! Oatmeal for breakfast today !

-squealcat
squealcat

Postby GreenFroG » Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:57 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: -0.6 lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. :thumbsup:
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. :thumbsup:
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. :thumbsup:
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). :thumbsup:
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). :thumbsdown: Had about 6 almonds
6. Eliminate any added oil. :thumbsup:
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. :thumbsup:
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). :thumbsup:
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. :thumbsup:
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). :thumbsdown: missed two days of exercise

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Victories this week were 1) did not eat out this week -- took my own food and ate with the others 2) had a few almonds but then got back on track. Tried to keep it simple. Did pretty well, but one night had some almonds that were at the house. It was late and I think I felt I had done such a good job not eating out that I had a couple of nuts. :oops: Told my husband later and he took care of that for me -- he put them away. I got back on track and the rest of the week went smooth. Missed two days of exercise due to a class I am taking, but overall it was a good week. Trying to keep it simple and prep ahead so I can take my own food when necessary. Really like the article you shared; The Road to Success: Creating Healthy Habits. The habit I am struggling with is keeping it simple and eating at home, or taking my food with me if I am eating out with friends. This week went well. One week at a time. Onward!
GreenFroG

Postby Melissa B. » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:11 am

Good morning! This is my first week posting and I'm not sure if I am just supposed to post my weight each Friday or is it another day of the week? Thank you in advance!

Melissa
Melissa B.

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:39 am

Melissa B. wrote:Good morning! This is my first week posting and I'm not sure if I am just supposed to post my weight each Friday or is it another day of the week? Thank you in advance!

Melissa

Yes, today is the day for weigh-in and self-assessment, as in the posts directly above.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for November 12 - Part 1

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:00 pm

BambiS - Great adherence and excellent progress! You did, indeed, report correctly. :thumbsup: Glad to hear you've been enjoying the MWL adherent recipes. Keep up the good work!

squealcat - Nice loss, Marilyn! I can imagine that old checklist of yours will, again, serve you well. :D Asking your daughter to hide away that candy bowl seems like an easy way to address that challenge; good idea. Kudos to you for not allowing some deviations from plan to overtake your whole week, and cheers to you for finding time to be active each day. REPEAT, REPEAT, REPEAT = habituation - you are absolutely right!

GreenFroG - Down over half a pound! Bringing your own food to a social engagement seems like a BIG victory; well done! I think that notion of "doing such a good job . . . that I had a couple of nuts" will sound & feel familiar to many participants. Getting right back on track is what is most important, right? (And thumbs-up to your husband for helping out) :-D Keep building away at those healthy habits. :nod:

Melissa B. - Friday is indeed our day for weigh-in and self-assessment.
Weigh-ins are on Friday; participants have until noon pacific time (19:00 UTC) on Saturday to post a report of their result for the week. Reports posted outside that window of time won't be included in the weekly summary, or receive replies. If you choose to participate in the weekly weigh-ins, please post your report in the following format -

• Weight change +/- in lbs
  • Assess the week in regard to each of the recommendations from the MWL 10-Point Checklist, at least in brief.
  • Feel free to elaborate on specific points from the MWL Checklist where you succeeded and /or those that need greater attention, if that feels appropriate and applicable.
  • Victories, comments, concerns, questions
Below this Orientation post, you will find a template that can be copied and pasted to use for your own reports.

Please post a new report each week in the MWL Weigh-In Group thread for the current month. All group members are encouraged to post regardless of whether they have a gain, loss or no change to report.
Mark Cooper

Postby Hope410 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:30 pm

Weight change: -1.4 Lbs

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. N
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Y
6. Eliminate any added oil. Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Y
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). N

Victories, comments, concerns, questions Followed guidelines except for two days due to a dental procedure which accounts for no on points 1 and 10. Wasn't able to eat much on day of procedure except for mashed potato and carrot mix late that evening and very lightly the next day. So no exercise for two days either, but was able to get back on plan thereafter.

Mark, thanks for your comments last week regarding developing healthy habits and advice to check what led to eating the sandwich. It was from stress late in the evening and the sandwich was a comfort stuff for my feelings of frustration. Old Habit of mine! I think when it happens again, I will make sure to eat a 50/50 plate instead of anything off plan. Seems like a good habit to work and follow.
Hope410

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program