November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Melissa B. » Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:56 pm

eight change +/- in lbs: 0

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. N
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. N
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).Y
6. Eliminate any added oil.Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. N
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). N
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Y

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I have been WFPB for a while but am struggling to lose weight and have 50-60lbs to lose. This group was suggested to me by someone on one of my FB groups that has been very successful. I need to improve on several things including eating more green stuff and starting my meal with a veggie soup or salad. I am aiming for 30 minutes (at least) of walking every day and woud like to switch that up for more variety.
Melissa B.

Postby George Ohwell » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Weight change: I am traveling and don't have a scale.

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Y
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Y
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Y
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Y
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). One day I bought nuts and ate about 5 handfuls and threw the rest out! I can't control nuts!
6. Eliminate any added oil. Y
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Y, except for the nut episode
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Y
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Y
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). N

Victories, comments, concerns, questions. victory: I'm traveling and having no trouble with my food. just cooking up starch in the instant pot, having easy to prep veggies (baby carrots, bagged lettuce, frozen veggies). I got too tempted by the "seasonally fresh" walnuts. they don't even taste good but they still give me a dopamine hit. I'll save those for a special occasion.
George Ohwell

Postby Rebecka22 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm

144.4 Weight change +/- in lbs: +0.2 pounds
1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. YES
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
6. Eliminate any added oil. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: Another successful week with travel included. Every success is another opportunity to build my foundation. Thanks for all the information from this group!
Rebecka22

Postby CUgorji22 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:22 am

*Weight Change: -3.8 lbs (loss)*

*Guidelines:
Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Compliant 4/7 days
Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. 6/7
Choose fruit for dessert. Compliant 1/7 days
Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Compliant 6/7 days
Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Compliant 7/7 days
Eliminate any added oil. Compliant 6/7 days
Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e. bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Compliant 7/7 days
Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Compliant 7/7 days
Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself. Compliant 6/7 days
Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Compliant 2/7 days

*Summary:
WOW! I'm so glad to be back!! While I am very happy with my weight loss this week, I know I'm a bit rusty with compliance. My 1st two days this week were really tough. I realized I had stopped thinking about what I put in my mouth. I have been mindlessly eating for the last several months as I've wrestled with grief & heartache. I decided (on Tuesday) to keep a food journal on my phone to ensure I could remember what I ate, how to report my week. Throughout the week, I asked myself several times, "Can I really do this? Is it possible to eat right again?" I felt like I had strayed so deep in to all things vegan. But I knew I was heading in the right direction on Friday when I intentionally chose NOT to eat vegan snacks I prepared for my kiddos. I had at least 3 chances to nibble on non-compliant foods and I didn't. YAY!!!!

Challenges =
1. I was not as prepared as I needed to be to start this Group. My family returned from traveling a couple days before Day #1 and I didn't have the grocery items I needed so I defaulted to leftovers on Saturday (ate seafood) & Sunday.
2. I must re-train myself to eat a soup or salad before meals. It was so hard to remember at the beginning of the week.
3. Wasn't consistent with fruit for dessert. I think I feared triggering a sugar-thing or possibly craving sweets...mainly because I was eating lots of vegan treats before this month.
4. I didn't commit the time to daily, moderate exercise. I kept saying I would do it but didn't schedule the time.

Victories =
1. I found my rhythm toward the middle of the week.
2. I made it through an ENTIRE week with the Guidelines!
3. I printed out the Guidelines (again) and put them on my fridge.
4. My strong cravings are gone! UNBELIEVABLE!!
5. I'm enjoying real food again...which feels so good!
6. I am NOT emotionally eating!! This is HUGE for me.
7. I feel GREAT about how body responded to getting back on track!
8. Re-committed myself to only drinking water throughout the day. This is also HUGE for me.

-Chesca
CUgorji22

Postby Gimmelean » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:34 am

Weight change +/- in lbs: +2.0
11/05/2021. 126.2
11/12/2021. 128.2

1.Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes

2.Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes

3.Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.Yes

4.Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes

5.Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes

6.Eliminate any added oil. Yes

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO. My downfall this week.

8.Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9.Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes

10.Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.

Victories, comments, concerns, questions: I hope everyone is doing well this week no matter what the challenge. I never realized before how bread becomes a Pleasure Trap item for me, leading to chips, crisps and other very poor choices. Looking back over the last two weeks, I realized that I was gradually letting go, often unnoticed, until 2 pounds appeared seemingly out of nowhere this week. A pound a week that is much easier to gain than lose. I am back on track right now. Thank you for providing resources, education, support, sharing, and as always non- judgmental kindness!
Gimmelean

Postby texaslil » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:39 am

-2.8 lbs

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. YES
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. NO, had some chocolate
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. YES
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). YES
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. YES
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES,

Victories, comments, concerns, questions:
Feeling good, not too excited about the drop since this is what my body has been doing for the past year, up and down, up and down the same 4-5 lbs. I am trying to stay positive and motivated and encouraging myself that I know what I need to do and to make the right decisions. one meal at a time. In the evenings, I have been trying to brush my teeth after dinner but if I don't and want a snack I will munch on a Japanese sweet potato, which I am obsessed with, do you think this is detrimental to losing weight? At this point, I never eat past 8, so if I have a JSP it's before that time. Thanks! Hope everyone is doing well!
texaslil

Postby cmcavazos2 » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:11 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs: - .6# loss

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. YES
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. NO
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). YES

Victories: I'm back on track. Had a good week.
Comments: I'm thinking ahead regarding our family Thanksgiving get-together -- what foods I can prepare to add to the menu.
I'll check back on the boards to see if there are any suggestions that were previously discussed.
Questions: None
cmcavazos2

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Nov 13, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Fellow MWL peeps,

Weight change - +.4 lbs.
Current weight - 129.4 lbs.
Last Week weight - 129.0 lbs.

1 Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes, most of the time - especially for breakfast & lunch.

2 Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches.
Choose fruit for dessert.
Yes, most of the time. I think 2 meals of 21 this week were starch heavy.

3 Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.

4 Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). YES, of course. :D

5 Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). YES!!! I am still eliminating the bad snacking. :mrgreen:

6 Eliminate any added oil. Yes! I do not add oil and only have this if eating out.

7 Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes, puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.

8 Don’t drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes

9 Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes. I continue to focus on hunger and am not stuffing.

10 Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).
Yes - at least 30 minutes walk every day.

This has been a really motivating week for me - with attending the 12 Day program. It is a phenomenal experience!! Lots of great content and networking opportunities with support after. Participating has definitely raised my confidence level in ability to just "keep on going"... :-D

I have been marking in my written food log a star each day that I don't snack on the dry and salty stuff. 7 stars for the week!!!

Have found a super easy salad - using tomato dressing recipe from this website (with low-sodium V8 and no guar gum) - takes 5 min to make and putting it over a couple of pre-washed bags of cabbage / coleslaw mix. Then, sometimes adding other veggies. It is delicious and super easy to grab.

Hope that everyone has a fantastic week!! We can all do this - keep going!!! :)

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Noella » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi Mark
No Change +- 0 pounds

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit. Yes.
2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert. Yes.
3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them. Yes.
4. Eliminate all animal foods (dairy, meat, eggs, fish, seafood). Yes.
5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy). Yes.
6. Eliminate any added oil. Yes.
7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit. Yes.
8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages). Yes.
9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself. Yes.
10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking). Yes.
Last edited by Noella on Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noella

Postby Health 1st » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:01 pm

Weight change +/- in lbs:  -7.3 (294.5 to 287.2)

1. Start each meal with a soup and/or salad and/or fruit.----No.

2. Follow the 50/50 plate method for your meals, filling half your plate (by visual volume) with non-starchy vegetables and 50% (by visual volume) with minimally processed starches. Choose fruit for dessert.----No.

3. Greatly reduce or eliminate added sugars and added salts. This includes gourmet sugars and salts, too. If either is troublesome for you, you can eliminate them.----Yes.

4. Eliminate all animal foods, meat, eggs, fish, seafood).----No, had some cheese.

5. Eliminate all higher fat plant foods (i.e., nuts, seeds, avocados, tofu, soy).----Yes.

6. Eliminate any added oil.----I didn't add oil, but had processed food that contained oil.

7. Eliminate all higher calorie-dense foods including flour products (i.e., bread, bagels, muffins, crackers, dry cereals, cookies, cakes), puffed cereals, air-popped popcorn and dried fruit.----No.

8. Don't drink your calories (especially from juices & sugar-sweetened beverages).----Yes, did not have.

9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don't starve yourself and don't stuff yourself.---Yes, for the most part.

10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).---Walked about 25 minutes each day.  Still cannot walk briskly due to ankle and back.

----I gave myself a whole lot of grace this week +  saw this week as a transitioning from truly an awful SAD vegetarian/vegan WOE to MWL.

----Mark, your comments last week were very good + true; thank you! :nod: I am not one who likes to use excuses, but rather to speak truthfully + own up to inadequacies. I was soooo far off the MWL path, + with everything going on, I did find it hard to get back in the MWL direction. But, as bad as my eating was, last week my sleep had reached an all time low with barely existing on 3-4 hours each night for 9 days. Last weekend I got almost 7 hours each night + felt so much better + also so much more able to think about getting on the MWL path. This week has also been sleep deprived, but I averaged 4-5 hours.

----My goal this week is to get more sleep and adhere even more to the MWL principles.

----I always like to see the good in the bad. Even though I ended up falling off the MWL wagon really hard + have really put my health at risk (including the sleep thing with the crazy schedule), I have learned a lot which will hopefully serve me well for decades to come. I don't have time now to pan that all out, but hope to jot down some notes during the week + share it on next week's entry.

----Congratulations to everyone in their MWL endeavors!!!! :-D For those struggling, keep at it. We're all in similar boats + are cheering for you. :)

----CUgorji22, I am so, so sorry for the loss of your father. I know that each person's experience is different, but after experiencing quite a few loses, I have found that none equalled that of my mother. I never knew a grief that deep, that painful. There will always be a hole that no one and no thing can replace, but over time, the pain does get better. May sweet memories be magnified, + any bad times be minimized. Kudos to you for taking care of yourself physically by getting back to MWL! I am certain your dad would be very happy about you taking care of yourself.
Health 1st

Reporting for November 12 Weigh-In is now CLOSED

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:02 pm

The window for reporting this week's weigh-in and behavioral results has officially closed.

The remainder of my replies and the weekly summary will follow.
Mark Cooper

Mark's Replies for November 12 - Part 2

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Hope410 - A solid seeming week and down 1.4 lbs! Great work sticking to the recommendations AND navigating the aftermath of your dental work. :thumbsup: Those "old habits" have a way of reappearing when we are under stress, right? Building a new habit of reaching for a 50/50 plate instead seems like a laudable response. :nod:

Melissa B. - Kudos to you for getting started! The most useful thing about the checklist is how it gives us clear and specific areas where we can focus our efforts for improvement. Eliminating the calorie-dense foods and liquid calories, and focusing on a 50/50 plate (with preload) will certainly have a positive impact. :nod: Are there any particular obstacles you feel have made including adequate non starchy vegetables more difficult? Keep working at it, with an aim toward achievable progress from day to day and meal to meal.

George Ohwell - Hooray for sticking with the recommended pattern of behavior while traveling! :D Aside from the "nut episode," that looks like an awesome week. Isn't it funny how we can still be drawn toward higher fat and calorie rich foods even when they "don't even taste good?" Getting troublesome, tempting foods out of the environment (as you did by tossing them) makes adherence MUCH easier to maintain.

Rebecka22 - Another successful week, replete with YESes, including TRAVEL! :thumbsup: Awesome! Keep building that foundation.

CUgorji22 - Down 3.8 lbs! Making a return to adherence after letting behaviors lapse for some time can DEFINITELY make for some tough days climbing out of the Pleasure Trap, Chesca; taking a pass on 3+ direct "opportunities" to stray seems like a real win. YAY! You are right that preparation can by really key; having adherent foods on hand, prepped and easy to access makes everything easier. Just to clarify, it is fine to omit dessert entirely (if you aren't hungry for it), but if you choose to have dessert, choose fruit. The 8 victories you listed all seem quite significant, indeed. Keep it up! :D

Gimmelean - Hang in there! Being back on track, and adjusting where needed to maintain that path is what matters. :nod: In regard to bread being a trigger for the Pleasure Trap, you might be interested in this thread discussing a poll of (mostly) WFPB adherents about Pleasure Trap Trigger Foods. Bread products / flours were the most cited item!
JeffN wrote:As Dr Lisle said,

"Truth is, we simply drift to soft, easy to eat, salted, high calorie foods."

texaslil - I'm glad to hear you are feeling good and staying positive; I think you made encouraging progress this week! Narrowing things down to only one "exception" seems like definite movement in the right direction. I think
texaslil wrote:encouraging myself that I know what I need to do and to make the right decisions. one meal at a time.
is particularly notable, and a useful mindset. The adjustments and interventions you have made to address after dinner snacking on non adherent foods seem spot-on to me. A japanese sweet potato seems like a delicious and appropriate snack, so don't worry. If you want to make that snack even more on target, match a portion of sweet potato with an equal volume of non starchy vegetables or fruit. (I'm partial to a "sweet potato sundae," myself - a JSP topped with thawed frozen blueberries) Onward!

cmcavazos2 - Woo-hoo! Back on track! Nice progress, Christine! In reference to Thanksgiving foods, Mary McDougall has a recently updated article on Holiday Meal Planning & Recipes. Not everything she covers is suitable for MWL, but several recipes are, or could be relatively easily adapted to meet the guidelines. Perhaps some group participants may have ideas to share, too.

VegSeekingFit - That looks like an EXCELLENT week of adherence, Stephanie! :thumbsup: 7 STARS for the week! Glad to hear the 12 Day program has been a great experience for you; I can imagine it is very motivating, for sure. Keep those STARS coming! :-D

Noella - Great work, Noella! I'm sure making progress with activity may not have been easy, but I bet it feels quite satisfying. Continue the exemplary efforts!

Health 1st - You are moving in the right direction! Keep building on the improvements you are making, where you have the opportunity to do so. Wishing you restful sleep; I know sleep deprivation can be incredibly demotivating and debilitating, so getting adequate sleep and continuing to focus on the MWL guidelines is a very appropriate goal. I completely agree with you that valuable, important lessons can be "harvested" from periods of difficulty and struggle. Onward!
Mark Cooper

Weigh-In Report Compilation - November 12, 2021

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:22 pm

Please note - I replied to each participant individually in the two posts linked below, provided that their reports followed the guidelines for weigh-ins.

Mark's Replies for November 12 - Part 1
Mark's Replies for November 12 - Part 2

By my count, 14 participants reported for our second November 2021 MWL weigh-in! If I neglected to include anyone, or you notice an error in the tally, please let me know (via PM so we can keep the thread as tidy as possible, or in a post here if you cannot PM).

Here are the results for the second Friday in November:

Week ending 11/12/2021: 14 participants reported a total change of -20.80 pounds
--------------------------------------------------
Gimmelean +2.00
VegSeekingFit +0.40
Rebecka22 +0.20
Total gains: +2.60
NO CHANGE / MAINTAIN/ STARTING OUT
George Ohwell 0.00
Melissa B. 0.00
Noella 0.00
Cmcavazos2 -0.60
GreenFroG -0.60
Hope410 -1.40
Squealcat -1.50
Texaslil -2.80
CUgorji22 -3.80
BambiS -5.40
Health 1st -7.30
Total losses: -23.40
Cumulative group loss for November 2021 to date: 29.40 pounds
Average loss for week ending November 12: 1.49 pounds
Cumulative group loss for January 2021: 117.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for February 2021: 39.40 pounds
Cumulative group loss for March 2021: 73.20 pounds
Cumulative group loss for April 2021: 48.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for May 2021: 35.90 pounds
Cumulative group loss for June 2021: 34.10 pounds
Cumulative group loss for July 2021: 64.95 pounds
Cumulative group loss for August 2021: 49.30 pounds
Cumulative group loss for September 2021: 18.84 pounds
Cumulative group loss for October 2021: 7.10 pounds

Next Weigh-In is on Friday, November 19, 2021.

Congratulations to everyone on completing another week of practice in adhering to MWL! An email from the Dr. McDougall Health & Medical Center today served to remind me to share what, in my opinion, is among Dr. Lisle's most important lectures: The Story of Willpower - What it Is & How it Works.

From the email,
Our modern environment poses challenges to our willpower. Doug Lisle, PhD, psychologist for the 12-Day McDougall Program shares the science behind how willpower works as well as a list of habits we can work on to strengthen it. When our willpower is nurtured and protected, we can act in our own best interests.
I think the ground covered in this lecture is especially appropriate as we head into the holiday season. Don't rely on willpower alone to see you through the festivities; now is the time to plan and prepare for adherent celebrations.

Keep doing the best you can, take care & be well! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby RacingSnake108 » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:21 am

Hi,
I participated in this group earlier this year (May and June I think), but my head gremlins got me off track. As always I am remaining vegan, and have for close to 11 years now, but I keep second guessing myself and thinking it's fine to eat like a "normal" vegan, meaning having oil, bread etc. From experience of successful weight loss in the past I KNOW that the best results are from a whole foods plant diet that is VERY low in fat, regardless of overall calories. I do well with large amounts of fruit, veg, grains, but as soon as I add in even a bit of fat I seem to struggle.
As luck would have it I also find that my best overall health and my running performance is on point when I stick to the MWL guidelines.

I was hoping I would be allowed to join you all again. I have some extra pounds since last time, but I am confident they will come off with consistency.

My weight today is 166 lbs. I will post my first weigh-in / start weight on Friday if you'll have me?
RacingSnake108

November 2021 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Group

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:41 am

RacingSnake108 - Welcome back! As you note, consistency is key, so getting back to focused adherence to the recommended pattern of behavior over a substantial duration of time will deliver the results you are seeking. :nod: If you would like a refresher on the procedures for the group, you can always refer to the Orientation materials. Looking forward to Friday's self-assessment and weigh-in!
Mark Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program