April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: April 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby Sam.snips » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:03 am

Hey, everyone!
My name is Sam. I’ve been loosely following the McDougall program for about a year or so and am ready to get serious. I’m getting married in a few months and the COVID-19 anxiety has let me stress eat and gain some weight, but I’m ready to get back into it! I have about 30-35lbs to lose altogether, but I’d be happy with whatever happens, so long as I feel better. I’m so proud of you all for committing to this lifestyle, and am excited for all of the positive influence!
Sam.snips

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:15 am

Sam.snips - I think right now is always an excellent time to "get serious!" Congratulations and best wishes for you impending nuptials, Jeff has a fun video demonstrating a simple breathing exercise for assisting in managing stress.
Mark Cooper

Postby sbrooks48 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:17 am

Test post. Hoping to join this thread during April.
sbrooks48

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 am

sbrooks48 wrote:Test post. Hoping to join this thread during April.

Hi, sbrooks48! Please do join in this month, I'd be delighted to see you participate in the group! :D
Mark Cooper

Postby SaraC9 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 am

Hello!

I've been reading these boards for a few months and now I'd like to join.

I started on MWL at the beginning of the year and have been pretty good about following it but the weight loss has been slow and sometimes frustrating. I have thought about giving up a few times, especially because I don't necessarily feel the amazing change that is often talked about with transitioning to a WFPB diet. So, I'm hoping joining this board will help. I have 20 lbs to lose to get to a normal BMI but I'm hoping to lose more than that.

One of hardest things for me is having to cook/prepare/reheat everything that I want to eat, even if it is goes quickly. I want so much to just grab some bread or crackers or cereal out of the pantry, rather than heat something up. I tend to get hangry very quickly.

Finding time to exercise has also been challenging, especially the last few weeks. I am a stay at home mom with my 2 young kids so I don't have much time to do anything alone. I try to do a couple laps around our street with them but it always depends on the weather and what they can tolerate.
SaraC9

Postby maja » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:52 am

Hi, I would like to join. My story is the same as some others I saw here. I have not been onboard for the full 100% and gained some weight. The weightgain is one thing but the most important part is to take action again to eat as healthy as possible.
I’m from Europe, Netherlands, so excuse me if my English isn’t perfect :D .
I’m glad I saw this post and can join this group!
maja

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:05 am

Thank you. Testing this out because I don't remember using a discussion board. Elsa.
josietheschnauzer

Postby inverts99 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:13 am

Good Morning Everyone from Stay@Home California!

I have heard of McDougall for many years, watching John in health documentaries. But, it was not until I watched his recent video on his Coloring Book that I totally got it. I have been following his plan since then, but I find myself getting off track at work due to the stress. Shelter-in has been a blessing for me as we have Zero junk food at home. My wife cooks everything and even just started making bread from scratch. My weight has start to lower on a slow, consistent basis as a result. I look forward to learning about the MWL as well as giving and receiving support through this journey. Today, I weighed in at 277 and I am 5'10". I stand at my desk most of the day and walk my dog five times a day.
-Michael
inverts99

Postby josietheschnauzer » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:29 am

This is Elsa again, aka, Josie the Schnauzer. I can't see my earlier post and can't tell if I am part of this group. I don't remember participating in a McDougall discussion group. I am used to facebook, but I would like to participate. I am an alumni of the 10 day program (last August). I have lost and maintained since 2012 about a 70-75 pound weight loss. I would like to lose 10 more but this might not happen. I am detached from the weight loss. I just want to stay off French Fries and keep McDougall healthy during this time of craziness. Thank you.
josietheschnauzer

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am

SaraC9 - Welcome! A couple of things to consider, in regard to getting "hangry" and needing adherent foods that are available quickly and easily:

Having things that are "ready to eat" as is, can be really useful - some people cook potatoes or sweet potatoes in advance and eat them straight from the fridge, make their oatmeal for breakfast the evening before, dump together premade salad with their starch of choice, &c.

It's important to not let yourself become overly hungry, so be sure to eat whenever you are hungry, until you are comfortably full.

Fruit can be useful in fending off the urge to grab off-plan foods, many fruits can be eaten "as is" and may fend off your craving for enough time to prepare a more substantial meal.

It is also worth considering that for many of us, any food that doesn't fit the MWL guidelines that is present in our immediate environment may always be a temptation, and the surest way to solve this problem is buy removing the tempting items from our environment (if that is possible in our respective situations).

maja - A warm welcome to you! I'm glad you found the group, and please don't worry about your English - it seems fine to me. :)

josietheschnauzer - Hi, Elsa! Getting used to the discussion board tools and format can be a bit of a challenge at first, but please feel free to post if you have specific questions or difficulties using the forum. Both of your posts are visible in the thread (at least for me). Congratulations on the impressive success in maintaining a ~75 lb weight loss over that extended period of time! Our groups focus is on putting into practice the behaviors represented in the MWL 10-Point Checklist, rather than solely concentrating on results from the scale, so I think you will find this group to be a good fit for your current goals.

inverts99 - Good morning, Michael, and welcome! Several participants noted over the last few weeks that the current lockdown made adherence feel more easily attainable for them, too. If you aren't already familiar with the principles of MWL, be sure and take a moment to review the guidelines and the checklist outlined in this month's introductory post.
Mark Cooper

Postby Kit_LaBear » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:03 am

Hello. My name is Kit, I'm 33 and from Ontario, Canada. In theory, I've been following Dr. McDougall since 2011, in practice though I yo-yo from his program to a junk food vegan and back again. I have a hard time maintaining any weight I lose. I lost 50lbs in 2018 and have since gained back about 25-30lbs.

I would like to teach myself how to truly eat well and maintain my weight loss going forward. I believe I have about 35-40lbs to lose, I'm not really stuck on any particular number though, I just want to feel healthy and no longer have chronic heartburn.

I received an email today about this group and thought, now is as good of a time as any when we are all thinking about our health and wellness.

My only concern is filling half my plate with non-starchy vegetables/fruits as I am trying to ration those so I don't have to spend more/ leave the house too much. I have plenty of rice, potatoes, beans etc though ... not sure if anyone else is in a similar boat. Once I can plant my garden and eat from that, that will be easier!
Kit_LaBear

Re: How do I join the MWL group

Postby webecl57 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:10 am

Good Morning,
I have been reading and watching videos here on the Dr. McDougall website for the past two years. I have been a vegetarian most of my life, but more recently have really limited dairy and eggs. I have been a yoyo dieter most of my life using counting calories to the WW points system. Veggies, fruits and legumes are already a priority for me, but I struggle with being a "cheeseaholic". I need to lose weight in order to have a total knee replacement. I am down to bone on bone in my left knee. With CORVID 19 I am not sure just when I will be scheduled. In the meantime, I want to shed some more weight and improve on my blood test numbers.
webecl57

Postby Mark Cooper » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:19 am

Kit_LaBear - Welcome! I can certainly understand that under the current circumstances, non-starchy vegetables and fruits may not be at hand in abundance. My suggestion would be to make the best effort you feel you are able to make under your existing constraints; since vegan "junk food" has been a concern for you in the past, it is probably worthwhile to focus your efforts on abstaining from any of those calorie-rich processed foods (ideally not bringing them into your environment), eat plenty of starches, and include non-starchy vegetables in the quantity you are able to sustain in your situation. Non-starchy vegetables serve to dilute the overall calorie density of a meal, so if you don't see the results you would like, you can reevaluate and adjust as needed (if you are able to do so).

webecl57 - Good morning to you! Cheese is probably one of the most often cited challenges mentioned in past months, which makes sense as it is high-fat, high-sodium, and calorie-dense which sounds 3 alarm bells for the Pleasure Trap. I'm happy you've decided to join the group, and please post if you have any questions about the specifics of the MWL program.
Mark Cooper

Postby Jadeice » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:30 am

Hello all, i hope everybody is staying safe and healthy . I am in. I am so ready to see results. I want to do the weekly weigh in for accountability. If i can over - come the shame of having my weight out there in the universe. Good luck to everyone.
Jadeice

Postby PoppyMoss » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:36 am

Hello!
I am wanting to commit to the MWL Weigh-In. Being held accountable will be good for me!
PoppyMoss

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program