Newbie Help!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Newbie Help!

Postby Donnie5614 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:02 am

So my wife and I have been doing a plant based diet For 2 months. She has had breast cancer on and off for 5 years and she feels a plant based diet is the way to keep cancer away. I have decided to do it with her. I have gotten past my meat cravings, potato chips etc. However, I am not losing weight. I need to lose 20 lbs at least.

After reading post on here my main problem seems to be I am still eating nuts, oils and maybe too many starches and I need to exercise more

I travel and work from home. Fixing things is difficult. I am looking for some easy things to eat . Any suggestions on how this big boy can lose some weight?

Thanks for your help

Donnie
Donnie5614

Re: Newbie Help!

Postby Ltldogg » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:52 am

Hi Donnie,

Welcome :)

First off, you are not eating too many starches. The McDougall Program is based on mostly whole, intact starches, with the rest being whole veggies and whole fruits. Make potatoes, corn, brown rice, sweet potatoes, oats, etc. the base for all your meals and add some beans, peas or lentils as well if you like them, but not necessary. Then remove all animal products, all oil products and greatly minimize if not eliminate all highly processed products. If you need to lose weight avoid nuts and seeds; they are not necessary for any reason and are high in calories, high in fat and addictive. Eat when hungry, until full. Don't count calories, track portions or nutrients; it's a waste of time.

Another important point is to keep it simple. Find like 5-10 foods you like, cook in bulk and refrigerate or freeze so you can make meals for the week. It's easier to cook this way, eat, clean and shop. Starches are the cheapest foods you can buy per lb and will save you a ton of money.

You can find all this info and more in the below places, but be sure to read/watch and then re-read and re-watch as the answers are there. Don't overthink it and stick to the program. I cannot emphasize that enough. If you want results, stick to the program. Don't mix this program with any other "expert's" program either. This program works because of the science and behind it and is based on the science. So deviating will cause you to have less than optimal results.

Here are the resources you need to learn:

1. Read through all of Jeff Novick's numbered threads, in order, in the How To Begin sub-forum, which you can find here: viewforum.php?f=14

2. Read The Starch Solution book from Dr. McDougall, which can be bought off this site, Amazon, in most book stores, libraries and is also available on Audible (which I highly recommend).

3. Read through Dr. McDougall's Color Picture Book here: https://www.drmcdougall.com/pdf/dr-mcdo ... nglish.pdf

These 3 resources are enough and cover everything you need to know, but if you follow what I summarized in the beginning that is actually enough and will not give you info overload. If you want more details or all scientific references the resources above are cited. Dr. McDougall has also put out a ton of newsletters, videos, articles, etc all of which can be found on this site or by Googling something like "Dr. McDougall Potato is the perfect food" and you will find a video like this: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... ts/potato/.

I highly recommend you keep it simple, follow the program exactly and don't give yourself excuses to go off program. If you and your wife want to be healthy then you have to do healthy things, which is this program. Time and consistency will lead to optimum health results and any deviation will cause delays if not adverse results.

Cheers and Good Health,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby Daydream » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Eating a McDougall diet is one of the best gifts you can give to yourself and your wife. I have to avoid nut butters and nuts/seeds or I'll overdo it and binge so it's better if I don't even get started on those calorie dense foods. Ltldogg gave you excellent advice and I agree wholeheartedly with what he said to you! Clean your environment at home and get rid of all the oils, nuts/seeds and junk foods.
Daydream

Postby Donnie5614 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:02 am

thanks very much for all your help
Donnie5614

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program