March 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: March 2020 McDougall MWL Weigh-In Thread

Postby NomeOslo » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:05 pm

For those who miss their gym, another option is looking for alternatives on YouTube. We're having good weather right now, but usually by this time it's too hot to walk outside in the afternoons (so I'm enjoying it). But when it does get too hot, I use a Leslie Sansone Walk at Home DVD. She also has several free samples at YouTube. I wear a step counter, and the steps run a bit shorter for the 2 and 3 miles videos - but I actually feel like I get a better work out, because she includes all kinds of movements. Just a thought.

And one *big* success today. I needed to use up some mushrooms, so decided to make a pot of veg chili with dried pinto beans. I normally use the pressure cooker, but always forget how long - so inevitably I look it up on a chart, try it, and have to bring it back up to pressure once, or even twice, to get the beans soft enough (for us). Today I came across a more scientific article about it, which recommended using baking soda (1 tsp per cup of dried beans) that would make them cook in half the time. I had already soaked them, and they had just come to a boil, so I added 2 tsp (I had a pound), brought them up to pressure, cooked them for 10 minutes, and let them slow release. They turned out absolutely perfect, all of them (usually I have a few that are "crunchy"). My husband ate later than me, and came out of the kitchen twice to tell me to remember how I cooked them, because they were perfect! :D I had never heard this before, and the article was quite educational. If you're interested, it's here https://beaninstitute.com/cooking-with- ... uy-crosby/.

Thank you wildgoose for the ketchup info. I've really enjoyed the applesauce version. Now I feel even more virtuous while eating my baked potato fries with homemade ketchup! :lol:
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

Postby Mark Cooper » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:28 pm

NomeOslo - A Walk at Home video sounds like a great option for maintaining physical activity! Thanks for sharing that.

I hope everyone in the group is safe and well! If any of you are looking for some Success Story inspiration, check out:

Charles Alexander: Listen to your body’s wake up calls
When I was 40 years old (I am now 68) I was very surprised to discover during an annual physical that I had borderline hypertension and elevated cholesterol. At the time I felt that I was eating a good diet which provided lots of animal protein, which I assumed was necessary for my rigorous exercise program (bodybuilding and running regularly since age 16). This is the way my parents and grandparents ate, and if it was good enough for them, it must be good enough for me. I wondered, “How could I possibly have elevated cholesterol and hypertension with such a “healthy” diet and such a strenuous exercise program?”
At the time of my physical, my cholesterol was 230 mg/dL and my blood pressure was around 180/95 mmHg. My doctor seemed to be as surprised as I was and could only attribute these problems to heredity. I asked him if my diet could be affecting my blood pressure and cholesterol, but he didn’t think so. He did, however, feel confident that drugs would take care of my problems.
After losing about 20 pounds, I expressed concern to Dr. McDougall that if I continued to lose weight at this rate (while eating all I wanted), I would be nothing but skin and bones. Dr. McDougall assured me that I would continue to lose unnecessary pounds until I reached the weight that nature had intended for me. In approximately six months, when I reached 125 pounds, I stopped losing weight, even though I continued to eat until I was full at each meal. That was in 1980, and I’ve maintained this weight ever since while continuing to eat according to the McDougall Plan. As Dr. McDougall expected, my high blood pressure dropped to normal, as did my cholesterol, after about two to three months.

I am now 68 years old and am in excellent health. I take no drugs, vitamins, nor supplements. In addition to losing weight, and lowering my blood pressure and cholesterol, I have also gained much more energy and I am less susceptibility to colds, flu, and other common maladies. I bicycle 70 miles a week, play tennis twice a week, and work out with light weights every other day.

Many of my peers who continue to eat the typical western, high-fat, low-fiber diet, and get little or no exercise, show the symptoms of an unhealthy lifestyle, such as heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, and breast and colon cancers. They are always impressed when they see what activities I’m involved in, observe my lean and muscular body, and learn that I don’t take any drugs or supplements. They begin to realize that there must be something to a healthy diet and lifestyle.

Also worth noting, under Hot Topics you can find resources on a variety of medical and nutrition topics. For example, the entry for Diabetes includes links to related newsletter articles, success stories, videos and independent research. Check it out!

Take care everyone, make mindful choices & be safe!
Mark Cooper

Postby Mark Cooper » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm

I hope you are all safe and doing well; I'm looking forward to your reports for tomorrow's weigh-in. Checking-in with the principles of MWL is a great way to demonstrate to yourself that you are consistently executing the fundamentals of a healthy lifestyle! As usual I'll respond to the reports in a group post on Friday and Saturday evening, and the weekly summary will go up on Saturday night. :D
Mark Cooper

Postby Abe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:26 am

Weight Change: -1.3 lbs.

MWL Points Successful:
  1. Start meals with soup or salad.
    Been sticking with soup, with the occasional salad. Given all of the extra free time I have during the stay home mandate here in Vermont I tried cooking a soup this week. I enjoyed it very much, it was not difficult, and I will do it again in the future. Nothing fancy, here is the recipe for Cabbage Soup if anyone has the ingredients on hand. I added several cups of low sodium vegetable broth to this recipe.
    https://plantbasedcookingshow.com/2016/04/13/two-vegan-sos-free-soups-black-bean-soup-cabbage-soup/
  2. Follow 50/50 plate volume.
    Potatoes and oat groats continue to serve as my primary starches, with the occasional beans, corn, rice, or winter squash. I feel lucky that I live so close to two organic farms. I am still working through a good stash of potatoes, and I was able to pick-up 5 pound bags of fresh spinach and baby red Russian kale.
  3. Eliminate sugar and salt.
  4. Eliminate animal based foods.
    Having my parents staying with me during this virus outbreak and eating dinner over with my sister's family has provided a lot of temptation. I have not succumbed to any of their food, but I am looking forward to not seeing and smelling it. I will spare anyone reading this the details, but it is not easy.
  5. Eliminate higher fat plant foods.
  6. Eliminate oil.
  7. Eliminate higher calorie dense foods.
    I had one Moroccan style meal which contained a small amount of raisins and pine nuts, but otherwise staying on track.
  8. Do not drink your calories.
  9. Follow these principles, eating whenever you are hungry until you are comfortably full. Don’t starve yourself and don’t stuff yourself.
  10. Avoid being sedentary and aim for at least 30 minutes or more of moderate exercise daily (i.e., brisk walking).

Comments
  1. I hope everyone is doing well during this challenging time.
  2. I am now officially overweight, rather than obese according to my scale BMI chart. I have been using an older model of this scale https://www.fitbit.com/us/products/scales/aria2 since 2013, and it tracks my weight, fat %, and BMI. All of the data is accessible through an app on my iPhone. It was a great investment, and it is interesting to see the extreme roller coaster chart my fluctuating weight has created. I hope that this time I have learned the right way to eat and the chart will stay flat and boring once I reach a normal weight. The biggest major dip in my weight in 2017 is when I was on the wrong amount of thyroid medicine, although at the time I thought that I was on an awesome diet. Image
Abe

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:54 am

Weight Change this week: -1.0 lbs:

Total weight lost since 01/2020: -10.1 lbs

I was unable to weigh in last week because I didn't have access to a scale. We had to drive our college-aged son to pack up his apartment due to his campus being closed. Now we are back home and participating in social isolation with the rest of the country. I am back on plan and doing well again. I'm focusing on getting at least 30 min of exercise daily and eating soup before meals. All the other guidelines are becoming a habit. I'm hoping to see the scale continue to drop, as well as my blood sugar the longer I continue on this path. Hearing that obesity and diabetes are some of the underlying health conditions that make Covid-19 worse has increased my motivation to restore my health and be very compliant on this plan. It has also made me take the self-isolation mandate very seriously. We are not even going to the grocery store at this point, and I believe we have enough supplies to last us at least a month if need be. My husband's company has shut down until at least April 10th, and he is working from home. Thankfully, our income is not affected at this point. I continue to pray for those who are facing hardship during this difficult time, and I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby wstokes » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:58 am

great week for compliant WFB eating when we're '"locked in" !!!
and lots of good stationary bike exercising!
:-D
wstokes

Postby rlechols » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:44 pm

Hello again everyone! It's hard to believe this is the last March weigh in. Here are my very modest results for the week:

Weight: 158 lbs
Loss of 0.5 lb

And here's my thoughts on the 10 pt checklist for this week:

1) Start with soup or salad or fruit - Doing great here. Breakfast starts with fruit and lunches and dinners start with soup or salad, or sometimes soup or salad IS my meal, but I always make sure there is a starch in there.
2) Follow the 50/50 plate method - This is getting to be natural for me now. I always think of this while plating my meal, and adjust to get the correct ratio.
3) Reduce/Eliminate sugars and salt - I only add these at the table if I really want them. I never include them in recipes (I just omit) and I don't eat any processed foods.
4) Eliminate all animal foods - Easy peasy 100% for me on this!
5) Eliminate all higher plant foods - I sometimes have a mild cheat on this one on the weekend. This past weekend I had about 10 almonds and a box of raisins, but that's it. During the week I'm hard core on following this 100%
6) Eliminate any added oil - This is only an issue on occasion when eating out, but I am pretty darn good at letting restaurants know how to accommodate me even then! Since I am working and staying at home, this is a total non issue. I love being oil free!
7) Eliminate all higher calorie dense foods - I only had that box of raisins and the 10 almonds over the weekend. No popcorn or any flour. It's just easier to stay away. This will be a work in progress; I would like to get away from even my tiny weekend cheats. But it is always a balancing act between not feeling deprived and making progress and good lifelong habits. Small cheats sometimes help me be ready to hit things hard with 100% compliance when Monday rolls around.
8 ) Don't drink your calories - not hard for me; I drink water only.
9) Eat when hungry and until comfortable full - This is something that is so important to me! I try and be in tune to the messages my body sends. I do well here, but have noticed when my omni husband goes for the ice cream and cookies at night sometime after dinner, than I usually want a snack too. It isn't hunger, but an emotional desire. I try to leave it alone, but if I don't want to, I've been having a bowl of fresh mixed berries. That really satisfies, although I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't be eating anything at 8 or 9pm!
10) Avoid being sedentary - I am still sticking to my exercise regimen. It is becoming habit and my day doesn't feel right without it. I did my 60-70 min of cardio daily this week (5 days) plus my resistance training. There are days I don't want to do it, but honestly, what motivates me is the desire to be strong and healthy, especially to have strong bones. I am seeing results too! I look and feel more toned and doing physical things are easier every day. The weather turned out nice a few days this week and I was able to walk 3.5+ miles outside. It was so refreshing! I also decided to try some light jogging this week (I usually walk briskly, and when on the treadmill, use the incline). I was able to jog 3 miles and 40 minutes straight with a problem, something I would never have been able to do a year ago.

Overall it was a great week, but obviously I'm seeing slow progress as I get closer to where I need to be. I need to lose a minumum of 8 more pounds to be considered "normal weight." In any case, I love this lifestyle!

Stay safe this week everyone!
rlechols

Postby lmggallagher » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:31 pm

SW: 241.9
CW: 229.8
GW: 150
Total Lost: 12.1
Last Week: 231.8
This Week: 229.8

Lost TW: 2.0

Hello all - looks like everyone is doing well - all things considered. In fact, I see that like me this terrible virus has put new fire under us to be as healthy as we can be.

I'm so saddened by suffering people are going through now - the loss of life and the scarcity of resources for our health providers is distressing and surreal. It gives one pause to do everything within one's control not to worsen the statistics - which is I guess other than donations and prayers - the best one can do for now. I am grateful for the McDougall's for sharing their informative videos and for their son and DIL serving as doctors during these frightening times.

This week I stuck to my resolve and lost the two pounds, but also my blood pressure is in normal range once again. The WOE is working its miracles!

I missed on two areas of the checklist - #7 - I did eat off yesterday - again my neighbor gifted me her vegan chocolate chip cookies. That was just half the gift - her husband contributed a 4 pack of toilet paper to the small bag hanging on my front door knob. I did not resist the cookies and I did a happy dance for the TP, as I was down to two rolls. I have Instacart shoppers for two stores tomorrow - but I have yet to get TP on any of their runs.

Speaking of running # 10 - I am still am not exercising . I would like to walk - currently I'm getting about 5,000 steps a day in doing activities around the house - but at this weight my bad knee is complaining to the point the pain is disturbing my sleep. I think another 10 pounds off will help - as at about that weight it hasn't been as much of a problem.

Stay healthy friends - Michelle
lmggallagher

Postby chaz01 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 pm

Weight Change
Week: -2.4
March: -9.0lbs
Year: -39.4 lbs

Weight loss this week is based on my home scale, which is a few pounds different than my normal scale I used to use at the health club. I didn't include any loss for last week since I was forced to change scales mid-week, but I'm hoping I had at least 1-2 pounds that would put me at 40lbs for the first 3 months!

Here are my scores for the week, based on the 10 point MWL guidelines, with a 100 being a perfect score for a meal and 300 a perfect score for the day...

Friday 89,90,87 = 267
Saturday 89,90,60 = 239
Sunday 65,-,90 = 155 (late breakfast, missed lunch)
Monday 89,96,92 = 277
Tuesday 89,96,90 = 275
Wednes 89,96,95 = 280
Thursday 89,96,97 = 282

I've been managing with the stay-at-home policy, which in our governor made it mandatory this week except for grocery shopping, But now I'm hearing our local grocery store will be converting to pre-ordering/pick-up only. I think that will be strange - I often make decisions on what to have for dinner based on what looks best at the produce area. How do you pre-order "Give me the most freshest looking vegetable you got?"

I've managed to get all my exercise in, but I am really missing the health club. I did manage to make it outside this week for a couple long (for me) bike rides, but I just don't get the intensity that I do from my indoor spinning class at the health club. But all in all, a good week, month and quarter, and I'm looking forward to staying on track in April.

Chuck
chaz01

Postby Mark Cooper » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:11 pm

Abe - Way to go! I'm glad to hear you are well-situated to have a reliable supply of adherent food! It sounds like you are getting a first-person demonstration of the powerful effect of our environment on the relative ease of staying on-track - good for you in resisting those temptations, I'm quite sure it was not an easy victory. :thumbsup: Congratulations on moving out of the obese category for BMI! It is really neat that you have such an extensive record of your change in weight over time.

Kirsty - I'm glad to hear that you, your son and husband are all home and safe. You are so right in observing that the current pandemic has been a powerful motivator for many people's ongoing efforts! It's great that the MWL behaviors are starting to feel like habits to you. It sounds like you are well-prepared to weather the current situation. :)

wstokes - The bright side of being "locked-in!" Kudos on what sounds like a very successful week, and enjoy those bike rides.

Rachel - Awesome! It seems like you are really getting "dialed-in" on what you need to do to make MWL work for you in your current context, and seeing some great results. From my perspective, satisfying the urge to snack with an adherent food that you enjoy, like berries, is often a wise choice - once you are feeling that urge to eat, it can be really tough to overrule, so quelling it with a healthful choice makes sense. Keep in mind, heading toward your goal in a healthful, and more importantly, SUSTAINABLE way is perhaps even more important than how soon you arrive. You're building a solid foundation of habits and behavior patterns that can continue to serve you on into the future.

Michelle - Kudos! I'm glad you are weathering the current storm well, and using it to fortify your resolve. I think you are right, we can only do what is within our control, and for those things we certainly have a powerful reason to make our best effort. I'm sorry your knee is troubling you, of course the food is the most important aspect of the MWL plan; just do what you can to avoid being sedentary, but in a way that is comfortable for you.

Chuck - Congrats on another nice loss! I'm glad you are managing well while "sheltering in place," we are under a similar mandatory order here in NJ. I'm SO sympathetic to missing the fitness club! It has been a significant adjustment finding a sufficiently intense workout, suitable to do in my home, that is gentle on my joints - I've had pretty decent success with these YouTube workouts.
Mark Cooper

Postby VGuzman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi all,

Weight Change for this week: -.4 lbs
Starting weight 125.2 (1/3/2020)
Last week: 114.8 lbs (3/20/2020)
This week: 114.4 lbs (3/27/2020)

Following the MWL checklist has become such a way of life for me. I am now focusing my attention on how to make it work when we are confined to our homes. Since fresh produce is such a big part of my diet, my focus this week is on getting it. My local farmer's market that I have purchased from for years is now closed due to the coronavirus and I am also trying to minimize going to the grocery store. So my solution to the problem has been that I joined a CSA (community-supported agriculture) that delivers fresh organic produce to my home once a week.

Best wishes to all,
Vicki
VGuzman

Postby NomeOslo » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:38 am

3/20 - 139.8
3/27 - 138.0
Goal weight: 110 lbs

Weight - lost 1.8 lbs

I was 90-100% compliant with the MWL principles this week, and I think the primary reason was the emphasis on my health (not weight loss in particular). I wanted to make sure I ate all my veggies, especially greens, and starches with them, to build up my body. I began thinking of them as my "medicine." Routine also made this easier; the less I have to think about what I'm going to eat, the better off I am. I don't have trouble eating the same foods repeatedly, so this works well for me.

One of the things I struggle with, are food adverts (especially now with all the the ones for take away). I purposely look away, or try to scroll by fast, but sometimes they're too fast. So instead of caving in, I've considered a compliant alternative, and that's worked (this week).

Take care all.
“Those who think they have no time for healthy eating will sooner or later have to find time for illness.” Edward Stanley

NomeOslo

Postby moonlight » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:22 am

Hi Everyone,

I hope you all are healthy and safe - and not going stir-crazy! :D

No change in my weight since last week's weigh in. :( I guess that is due to a few too many nuts :oops: and lack of daily exercise. I've been good at getting in plenty of veggies and a couple of fruits daily. I'm really disappointed that the few times I've gone off the MWL plan prevented me from losing any weight. Maybe next week will be better. I think I'll keep a daily log of what I'm eating. I do this sporadically. It's surprising how I can't remember what I did two days ago while I'm sheltering in place. :)

I've been preparing my garden plot. Also, morels are up in the woods around my house. I've been morel hunting a few times. I'm really low on energy. Not sure why. Even energy at the brain level. I'm mostly sewing or gardening. No reading or writing. I only watch TV in the evenings, like before when I was out during the day. And, now the TV watching is the news, trying to catch up on what's happening around the world.

My plan for this week is to continue my good eating habits, minus the nuts, and to row on the WaterRower at least 5 out of 7 days, even if I also get outside exercise.

Good luck to you all!! Shelter in place without going absolutely mad!
moonlight

Postby JaBee » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:30 am

Down 1.5 pounds
Success: Managed to follow all 10 guidelines
Challenge: Craving bread but didn’t have any?
Question: Are corn tortillas permitted on MWL?
Observation: May need to convert to regular plan for a while. Is there an online group for regular plan?
JaBee

Postby Drew* » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:16 pm

Weight change on Friday: 170.4 lb …--1.4 lb
Down 14.8 lb since January 2020 start date (includes weight week before January).

Success: My soup mix had all the 5 ingredients plus an extra can of unsalted tomato sauce. It was a tasty mix!

Challenge: Need to get in a routine of exercise now that the public gyms are closed. I was so busy this week that my routine of straight lifts did not occur. Will start again this week and it is just one half hour a day! Today, my wife and I may go for a walk to get some fresh air. As for crackers and caloric beverages (on weekends only), I need to work on this.

Impression: In Washington State, the stay-at-home order has been workable on a personal level. So far despite the lines to limit people in the grocery store or to pick-up orders, I have had access to frozen and fresh veggies. There are also other supplies. I have dried veggies and rice just in case…. So there are good reasons going forward to continue eating the MWL way!

Comment: Meditation / breathing is good. Thanks Mark for the video. Another thing that seems to help is going for a walk!
Drew*

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program