do you eat organic or conventional potatoes?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

do you eat organic or conventional potatoes?

Postby chewy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:12 pm

i am curious to know if other mcdogougall followers eat organic or conventional potatoes?
chewy

Re: do you eat organic or conventional potatoes?

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:10 am

For the past few years I grabbed organic when the store had them, but these past few months they've been horrible. No matter how carefully I tried to check beforehand, more than half the bag would turn out to be green, and many of the ones that were left would look alright on the outside, but when you cut them open, the insides were all rotted.
Click this link to see an example.

The past 2 weeks I bought non-organic russets, reds and Yukon Golds, and not one was tainted in any way. All have been edible, and maybe even tastier than the organics have been.

It looks like I'll be sticking with non-organics for the time being.
VeggieSue

Postby frozenveg » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 am

I'd like to eat organic as much as possible, but I have to take what I can find. Even our local potato growers, for which my Valley is famous, don't grow organic. I mostly eat the little red potatoes from Costco--they seem to be from Washington state.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby OOnaOwl » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I eat only organic potatoes. They are plentiful where I live & fairly cheap. Also, the conventional ones make me itchy & twitchy from the pesticides.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wAKnwyn/]

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight" -Japanese proverb
OOnaOwl

Postby RonMcClaaren70 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 pm

Quite a few potatoes are genetically-modified, aren't they? Supposedly, they have a modified gene that kills bugs, makes the plant resistant to lots of pesticides, and/or keeps it from turning brown by stopping one of the natural processes of the plant. Some say that GMO foods may cause cancer.

One thing they do for sure is to affect the other genetic material around them genetically. The non-GMO cells become GMO.

You don't mind that? I'd rather eat a brown potato, apple, pear, etc. than a GMO one. In fact, I think the brown spots are sweeter! If they're not, I just cut them out. At any rate, I believe that eating fermented food occasionally is healthy for the auto-immune system, isn't it? In fact, I ferment my own veggies in order to strengthen my auto-immune system by keeping lots of bacteria of all kinds in my gut.

I'm not a normal person.

Ron :-D
RonMcClaaren70

Postby Potatohead » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:17 am

For many years I ate regular potatoes(I usually eat about 15lbs a week). last year I ate some regular russets and got a severe stomach ache(potatoes were not green) I bought some more russets not from the same store and had similar problems with my stomach. I switched to eating reds and gold. I buy Organic russets and I have no problems with eating them..no stomach issues. I think my problem was that russets require more pesticides(more diseases and bugs) for growing than reds or golds and I think I got sick from the residue.
Now I always buy organic russets and organic reds and golds when I can..I look at it this way, it might be more expensive, but it's still cheaper than buying meat :nod:
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Gershon » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:49 am

Organic is conventional. :)

Anyway, I've been noticing green potatoes for the past six months or so. I only eat organic because of the chemicals they put on the others to keep them from sprouting
Gershon

Postby jessicajane11 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:10 pm

I eat all organic because our local Whole Foods have every variety (red, russet, gold, sweet, etc.) in 5 lb. bags that are super easy to grab on the go (the conventional are usually out and you have to put them in one of their plastic bags, and I'm lazy haha). But I think with organics you have to work with what you have and what you can afford. It's probably better to have a conventional veggie than no veggie at all! :-D
"There is nothing wrong with loving the crap out of everything. Negative people find their walls. So never apologize for your enthusiasm. Never. Ever. Never." - Ryan Adams

5'5", 22 YO, started journey to health 3/10/14.
jessicajane11

Postby rickfm » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Potatohead wrote:For many years I ate regular potatoes(I usually eat about 15lbs a week).

Wow, I'm kinda' surprised to see you promoting organic now. I recall several times you championing good old regular grocery store potatoes. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with them and the stomach problems.

I'm still using conventional potatoes. I love being able to buy a 10 lb. bag for $2.99. I have no problems with them... other than the occasional one that has some rotten spots or some slight green areas. I just trim/peel away the bad stuff. They do grow sprouts, so I'm guessing they aren't the GMO kind designed to be sprout free.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Potatohead » Thu May 01, 2014 7:12 am

rickfm wrote:
Potatohead wrote:For many years I ate regular potatoes(I usually eat about 15lbs a week).

Wow, I'm kinda' surprised to see you promoting organic now. I recall several times you championing good old regular grocery store potatoes. Sorry to hear about your bad experience with them and the stomach problems.

I'm still using conventional potatoes. I love being able to buy a 10 lb. bag for $2.99. I have no problems with them... other than the occasional one that has some rotten spots or some slight green areas. I just trim/peel away the bad stuff. They do grow sprouts, so I'm guessing they aren't the GMO kind designed to be sprout free.

Rick, I still buy regular golds and reds, because I rarely can find organic ones. but when I want russets, they have to be organic, I still believe it is better to eat regular potatoes than SAD foods, and I still buy regular potatoes.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Wildapple » Thu May 01, 2014 7:28 am

I eat conventional potatoes because I live in one of those rural areas mentioned in another post that is an organic desert.
Wildapple

Postby landog » Tue May 06, 2014 11:43 am

chewy wrote:i am curious to know if other mcdogougall followers eat organic or conventional potatoes?

Yes, I do! :D
landog

Postby Lesliec1 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:32 pm

I wish I could afford organic but I buy conventional. My hope is that, like the mice in the China Study, my good food and lack of animal proteins will protect me. That's the hope anyway. Still, I'll switch to organic when I win the lottery.

What is sprayed and non sprayed? Am I missing something? I thought organic means no pesticides and conventional means pesticides. Is there something else to know?
Lesliec1

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program