Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's Mini Challenge-would you like to join me?

Postby ajhondrngal » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:23 pm

I didn't stick with just rice/beans.

Day 1
B: rice, rice milk, tiny bit of sugar/cinnamon, banana
L: Vegetable soup (leftovers--potato, squash, carrots, corn, beans, red pepper, onion, swiss chard, etc)
D: Potatoes with a bean/corn topping, raw carrot

Progress, not perfection.
ajhondrngal

Postby luvmyveggies » Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:30 pm

Welcome Heidi, I hope you have great success!

Yesterday was quite the day and I didn't eat much. Matter of fact not at all, and that led me to this mornings low blood sugar. I first ate a banana and still felt very sick and grabbed the quickest thing I could get my hands on, a brown rice tortilla. It made me feel much better and I was off to feeling like myself again. So today I am back on track and put a potato in the oven which I am about to enjoy. I am glad to be on board and feeling good!
luvmyveggies

Postby HeidiH » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

B: baked potato, 1/2 sweet potato, 1 small banana with 2 tsp ground flaxseed
L: baked potato, a salad with a blueberry/balsamic vinegar/lemon juice dressing
S: baked potato, cooked carrots/broccoli/cauliflower, small dish of frozen mango chunks

One of my problems is making up too large a plate of food, out of concern for getting enough nutrients, then my stomach doesn't feel so hot. Oh well, I certainly learned today just how filling potatoes are!
Heidi

HeidiH

Postby ajhondrngal » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Day 2
L: Vegetable soup (leftovers--potato, squash, carrots, corn, beans, red pepper, onion, swiss chard, etc)
D: Thai Tacos

ajhondrngal

Postby luvmyveggies » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:34 pm

Today was o.k. I ate what my family was eating for dinner though.
B: Romaine, Spinach and 1/2 apple
L: Baked Potato
D: Coconut Rice with Curry and Veggies. (It tasted so good that I ate more than I should have! That's why I should stick to one starch!!!!)
luvmyveggies

Postby ajhondrngal » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:47 pm

Day 3
L: Thai Tacos
D: Brown Rice and Black Bean Extravaganza

ajhondrngal

Postby HeidiH » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:30 am

Day 2

B: baked potato, banana/blueberry/flax seed/baby spinach smoothie
L: baked potato, 1/2c cup green peas, 1/4 cup kidney beans, 1/4 cup chopped cooked kale
S: baked potato, 1/4 cup kidney beans, 1/5 cup chopped cooked kale, 1/5 cup quinoa
S: baked potato, 1/2 cup quinoa

By the way, I'm a relatively new McDougaller, though not new to plant-based diets. Dr. Fuhrman's work first introduced me to the idea of eating for nutrition about 4 years ago, but I love how the McDougall's are so generous with the information and support they provide. I also went years with avoiding white potatoes, and funnily enough, having a hard time getting potassium into my diet, and the potato has totally solved that! I also had forgotten how filling and satisfying they are.

Enjoying my taters over here!
Heidi

HeidiH

Postby SpudInTheBuff » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:58 pm

Hello there~ I'm new and just wanted to say hi! I will be joining you all in this mini-challenge starting Sunday. I plan to read up/clean out kitchen/and go grocery shopping until then. I've always been a fairly healthy eater since I have problems digesting meat as well as have a gluten sensitivty. For the past 6 months I've been feeling really fatigued and unhealthy no matter how much sleep I get and how well I eat. Blood tests show up as normal so I'm hoping this will help. Also, losing about 8 lbs would be nice too. :D
SpudInTheBuff

Postby mahami » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Hello all, I saw this post and started Mary's Mini on 4/18. My starch of choice is potatoes. I started with sweet potatoes and I added in white potatoes last night for dinner. I plan on having both white and sweet potatoes while on the mini challenge. My goal is to complete at least one month, but hopefully do 3 months.
Last night I made aloo bhortha and I also ate a plate of microwaved broccoli. Aloo bhortha is a bangladeshi food which is commonly eaten with rice and lentil.
I boiled 4 russet potatoes and skinned them then mashed them with 2 chopped roma tomatoes, a bunch of chopped cilantro, green onions, chat masala and salt to taste. It was wonderful. It's also good with red onions, ginger, green chilies, etc.
So far so good, and I find this thread very motivating. Best wishes to all!
mahami

Postby mahami » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Oops, I meant that I started on 3/18 :)
mahami

Postby HeidiH » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:11 pm

I'm glad there are more people joining this challenge! :-D

Day 3:

L: baked potato, some cooked kale, peas, and quinoa
S: baked potato, some cooked kale, peas, and red kidney beans, frozen mango

My meals are really repetitive but it's only because I've been busy and relying on the simple things I've cooked in advance.

I didn't plan to have just 2 meals, but I worked a long shift today.

I hope everyone is doing well on the challenge!
Heidi

HeidiH

Postby ajhondrngal » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 pm

Day 4
D: Spanish rice and beans, broccoli and cauliflower

Heidi, I enjoy reading your menus. They sound so good.

ajhondrngal

Postby Katydid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:28 pm

HeidiH wrote:I'm glad there are more people joining this challenge! :-D

Day 3:

L: baked potato, some cooked kale, peas, and quinoa
S: baked potato, some cooked kale, peas, and red kidney beans, frozen mango

My meals are really repetitive but it's only because I've been busy and relying on the simple things I've cooked in advance.

I didn't plan to have just 2 meals, but I worked a long shift today.

I hope everyone is doing well on the challenge!

You're doing great. Eating the same starch every meal and repeating the same menu day-after-day is part of the Mary's Mini protocol. Boring, repetitive food is what makes the MM a diet instead of a lifestyle.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby tamcam » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Hi All!

I would like to start Mary's Mini tomorrow and join you all! Is that okay? I am having a hard time sticking to anything right now, and feel joining you all will help me! I have about 10 lbs. to lose, but more importantly I have my husbands birthday party in 2 weeks from today. I would like to start this until then, and then switch to MWLP. I just need some support! :-D I am headed to get The Maximum Weight Loss Book now. I know Mary's Mini isn't in the book, but want to get it to follow for after. So I am going to use brown rice as my starch. Is that correct? I will have brown rice and veggies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can switch the veggies? Do I get to have fruit? Anyone that could answer, I would really appreciate the help! I was thinking of having brown rice with a fruit for breakfast. Not sure if that is okay!

Thank you!
Tamcam
tamcam

Postby Katydid » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:52 pm

tamcam wrote:Hi All!

I would like to start Mary's Mini tomorrow and join you all! Is that okay? I am having a hard time sticking to anything right now, and feel joining you all will help me! I have about 10 lbs. to lose, but more importantly I have my husbands birthday party in 2 weeks from today. I would like to start this until then, and then switch to MWLP. I just need some support! :-D I am headed to get The Maximum Weight Loss Book now. I know Mary's Mini isn't in the book, but want to get it to follow for after. So I am going to use brown rice as my starch. Is that correct? I will have brown rice and veggies for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I can switch the veggies? Do I get to have fruit? Anyone that could answer, I would really appreciate the help! I was thinking of having brown rice with a fruit for breakfast. Not sure if that is okay!

Thank you!
Tamcam

Read through the links below, in particular the second one. Pick one starch - in your case rice - and plan three meals around it. Repeat those three meals over and over for the next two weeks. That's it.

Kate

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/july/marys2.htm
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program