Almond Milk

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Almond Milk

Postby grandma6 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:17 am

Can almond milk be used instead of rice milk. I realize it's made of nuts but there are only 30 calories per cup. I've never done the "Maximum Weight Loss Program" and the book I have was loaned to me by a friend and is older. (1994 ?) I only use in my oatmeal.
Thanks.
grandma6

Re: Almond Milk

Postby frozenveg » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:49 am

grandma6 wrote:Can almond milk be used instead of rice milk. I realize it's made of nuts but there are only 30 calories per cup. I've never done the "Maximum Weight Loss Program" and the book I have was loaned to me by a friend and is older. (1994 ?) I only use in my oatmeal.
Thanks.

Well, it doesn't matter that the book is "older" as the program is the same! :-D Everything, except for the specific product suggestions, is as current as today--the wisdom doesn't change!

A lot depends on what you are going to do with the "milk." There is no drinking of milk, as a beverage, on this plan.
The "milks" are intended as condiments only, so the "serving" isn't 1 cup as applies to this way of eating--whether Maximum Weight Loss or the regular plan--but more like a tablespoon or two at most, at a time.

The problem with almond milk is not the calories, but the percentage of fat--at 25 calories of fat per in 30 calories per serving, you are consuming a product made of 83% fat! Rice milk, on the other hand, is 120 calories per serving, but only 20 calories from fat--so less than 17% calories from fat. Frankly, for the 18 months it took me to lose my weight, I just stopped doing anything with the milks altogether, although I do use them now and again to make sauces for my husband's meals, when he eats my food.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby grandma6 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:19 pm

Thanks for your reply. I can surely live without it. I have been cooking my oats until there is still some liquid left and pouring it over bananas chopped up very small and sprinkling a bit of cinnamon on it. Before I was making it at night and soaking a half cup of oats in a cup of unsweetend almond milk with a few raisins. Now that you've brought it to my attention I guess I'll have to be vigilant in finding the hidden fat. Congratulations to you on being a star McDougaller
grandma6

Postby Rease » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:07 pm

I heard a wonderful interview with Ann Esselstyn one evening, and she said she is making banana milk by putting a ripe banana in a blender with some water and using that to make her oatmeal. It's delicious! She also adds a tad of vanilla extract if she wants to give it a vanilla flavor.
Rease

Postby grandma6 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:53 pm

Thank you Rease. That sounds like a great idea! I'm going to try it in the morning.
grandma6

Postby grandma6 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:09 am

Thanks Lynn. I too am over it. I'm enjoying just plain oats or with banana. Before I started the MMWL I only used Unsweetened almond milk for my cold oats (muesli) or in recipes that I was making. Drinking it from a glass has never been an option, something mind over matter. Funny how brains operate sometimes .
grandma6

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program