Hello! New to this style of eating.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello! New to this style of eating.

Postby Martin280 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:12 pm

Hello!

I'm new to this style of eating, and I'm just now getting setup to start this lifestyle. My goal is to lose weight. I have over 100 pounds that I need to lose, because I'm currently about 310 pounds and I should weigh around 180.

I recently bought the book on my Kindle and I read it. After deciding to follow the plan, I did my best to follow the guidelines and I have ordered ingredients that fit the parameters of the plan.

My grocery list looks like this, and I am using these ingredients to compose my meals:

Sauces/Condiments: Hunts Original BBQ Sauce, Annie's Natural Organic Ketchup, Sriracha, Organic Balsamic vinegar, Kirkland Maple Syrup, Annie's Natural Dijon Mustard, Pace Picante Salsa
Main Starches: Bob's Red Mill 10 Grain, Bob's Red Mill Spice N' Nice, Bob's Red Mill Apple Cinnamon, Fresh local farmer potatoes, frozen potatoes, brown rice
Vegetables: Frozen vegetable mix (20% corn, 23% carrot, 12% kidney bean, 23% garden pea, 22% green bean), Fresh green salad (dressing made from vinegar/mustard/maple syrup mentioned above), frozen potato/vegetable mixture (35% potato, 25% carrot, 20% onion, 20% bell peppers)
Soups: McDougall Minestrone, McDougall Split Pea
Fruits: Frozen blueberries, fresh bananas, fresh apples, fresh pineapple
Snacks: Lundberg Organic Rice Cakes (Cinnamon Toast flavor)

A simplified structure of my plan:
Breakfast: Hot Cereal w/ Blueberries
Lunch: Baked Potato + Soup
Dinner: Rice or Potato + Vegetable
Snacks: Rice cakes

I'm planning to accompany this with daily exercise. I can't do much due to some injuries, but I can walk for about one hour a day in addition to my normal working day physical activities (a lot of walking/standing).

Am I setting myself up for success with this?

Edit: Forgot to mention the salsa on my list.
Martin280

Re: Hello! New to this style of eating.

Postby viv » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:39 pm

Welcome Martin!

You have come to the right place. You most definitely are setting yourself up for success, your eating plan is very doable, ensure you are eating enough, nuke a potato if you feel peckish! You are prepared and ready to embark on your journey to looking good, feeling good and being the healthiest you imaginable. There are many wonderful posters here who will support you every step along the way on your journey. Check out Success Stories under the education tab for lots of encouragement and motivation.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby docscience » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:11 pm

I would recommend to have a blood work test results, so that you have something to refer back to, to see what improvements show, and to show others at a later date. I had blood work tests done when starting, and have had people ask me about that. I am not ready yet, to get another set done, so I am hoping for an improvement.
Just for your doctors benefit, make sure he records your weight, so that you have proof of your starting point for him and others. I do not know whether it is beneficial to mention to him, that you are doing the Mcdougall or similar plan, as he may try to discourage people from plant based eating.

Be sure to get a Vitamin B12 test and Vitamin D tests included, as those seem to be the main ones that people sometimes get low on, because so many processed foods that we should not be eating, were Vit D and Vit B12 fortified. Those tests are not normally included, in my area, and I had to specifically request those to be included.

If others know what other tests are good to include, please mention it.

Check out the weight loss weigh in group at this link.
viewforum.php?f=11
Look for "January 2014 McDougall Weekly Weigh In Group"
- - - - or the "February 2014 McDougall Weekly Weigh In Group"
They should be within the top 6 postings on that page.
I really HATE my profile picture, but it reminds me to watch my eating. For me, that is a good motivator.
MyTest results viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39555
5'8" , started- sept. 2013 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
docscience

Postby PurplePotato » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 pm

Looks like you're setting yourself up for success :-D

As I suspected, the Lundberg Organic Rice Cakes (Cinnamon Toast flavor) contain oil. One of the other flavors would be a better choice. And as far as snacks go, you might try eating a cold baked potato. They're surprisingly good, as are sweet potatoes. I'll sometimes eat them plain like an apple.

Also, If you haven't already, you should pick up a B12 supplement. You'll probably find that they have an absurd percentage of the daily recommend value, in which case you can just take it once or twice a week.

I agree with docscience that getting some blood tests done can be a good way to track your progress. I'm not so sure about the Vitamin D though, as the numbers for normal tend to be overstated.
PurplePotato

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program