Vegan Pyramid

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vegan Pyramid

Postby pollkat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:09 pm

How close to the Vegan Pyramid is McDougall's program? I get confused because every vegan pyramid I see is a little bit different in its serving sizes.
pollkat

Pyramid

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Dr.McDougall always says to break off the top part of the USDA pyramid - the dairy and sugar and fat - to make the McDougall Trapezoid.

If you're referring to servings of each food group, Dr. McD does *not* limit all the remaining foods - the starches, veggies, fruits. His food plan says to "eat to satisfaction" and if it takes 2 or 3 or more platefuls of food to satisfy you, so be it.

Ah, I just did a Google search and this turned up about the McD Trapezoid - an article from 1998:
http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag98/nov98_cover.html

VeggieSue

Postby Malva » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:09 pm

This is the Maximum Weight Loss section of the board, so I have to correct Veggie Sue in regard to eating fruit "to satisfaction."
Fruit is restricted to only 2 servings a day.
Eat no bread, no high fat foods (like avacados, olives, nuts, nut butters or tofu).
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program