Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby poppyseed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:57 am

I am starting anew today. Part of my routine will be to read these guidelines daily! I have 118 pounds to lose to get to the middle of the Normal BMI range.

Kathy
poppyseed

Postby poppyseed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:58 am

Correction, that was a typo. I have 18 pounds to lose.
Kathy
poppyseed

Postby poppyseed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:12 pm

I see a rice discussion here. Interesting. I have been using an electric rice cooker. I combine 2 cups of rbrown rice with 1 cup of hulled barley. That is a tasty combination and my husbanddlikes it too.

Kathy
poppyseed

Postby frozenveg » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:09 am

I love rice and barley combined also! I never have tried a rice cooker, as it's so easy to make in a pot.
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Jeannie1960 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:17 am

poppyseed wrote:I see a rice discussion here. Interesting. I have been using an electric rice cooker. I combine 2 cups of rbrown rice with 1 cup of hulled barley. That is a tasty combination and my husbanddlikes it too.

Kathy

Oh yummy!!! I have brown rice , barley & a rice cooker!! :-D
I never thought about putting them together!! :!: :)
Thanks for the idea!!

Jeannie
Jeannie1960

Postby Chel-lala » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:26 pm

Good Day To all readers.

I am new to the forum. I have a few questions.
1) How much is a serving of food? Or more to the point how many bananas in a serving?
2) What percentage of my overall daily food intake should be raw?
3) Is it safe to eat potatoes raw? Or more to the point are there like any vegetables you have to cook ?
4) Brown rice is like really expensive I can get 18kg of bananas for the price of 3kg of brown rice and 6kg of white rice for the price of 18kg of bananas. So is white rice a whole grain ?

I have not joined the Maximum Weight Loss Program. I am just considering it. I will have to calculate the cost of living like this first.
Chel-lala

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:45 pm

Chel-lala wrote:1) How much is a serving of food?

As much as you want to make you feel satiated without feeling over-stuffed. You'll figure it out in a week or so how much you need.

Or more to the point how many bananas in a serving?

MWLP is restricted to 2 pieces of whole fruit a day (not pureed, not in a smoothie, etc.), and Dr. McDougall has said one "serving" of fruit is one piece of fruit, so one serving of banana is one banana, one serving of peaches is one peach, etc. Things like watermelon or grapes would be around a cup for a serving.

2) What percentage of my overall daily food intake should be raw?

Not that much. The guidelines are to aim to make 3/4 of your plate (by sight) starch and 1/4 non-starchy foods. If you're having problems losing weight, you can go as much as half and half, but no more than half your plate non-starch. Whether the non-starchy veg is cooked or raw is up to you.

3) Is it safe to eat potatoes raw?

This question was brought up one or twice before and some people said they have nibbled on pieces of raw potato now and then, but the general consensus was that potatoes are one of those foods that really should be cooked. If it's organic it would be safer than non-organic.

Or more to the point are there like any vegetables you have to cook ?

On this food plan, the potatoes are counted as starch, not vegetable. There is no vegetable that *must* be cooked according to the program guidelines, just personal taste.

4) Brown rice is like really expensive I can get 18kg of bananas for the price of 3kg of brown rice and 6kg of white rice for the price of 18kg of bananas. So is white rice a whole grain ?

No, it's not. But Dr. McD has said time and again that if the only rice you can find or prefer is white, so be it. There's no reason to not follow the food plan just because you prefer white over brown rice. Brown is slightly healthier, because of the fiber and some nutrients, but white rice is not unhealthy.
VeggieSue

Postby frozenveg » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:34 am

Chel-lala wrote:4) Brown rice is like really expensive I can get 18kg of bananas for the price of 3kg of brown rice and 6kg of white rice for the price of 18kg of bananas. So is white rice a whole grain ?

This way of eating seems to be one of the least expensive of all eating plans. Perhaps you can find a whole starch (potatoes, for instance) that are not as expensive as whole grain rice. (Where I live, bananas are 1.3 times the cost of brown rice.)

Fruit is limited on the MWL plan because it has been found that, although tasty, fruit does not have the satiating power that starches do. So if you find the inexpensive whole-food starch that you like, you can base your meals around that, adding in either cooked or fresh vegetables, and a couple of fruits. Add in a few legumes (less than a cup a day), and you have your food.

Keep us posted when you decide!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Chel-lala » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:37 pm

Thank you Frozenveg for answering my questions.

I have decided to adjust this Maximum Weight Loss Program.

So To Recap. My version that I will follow from the 1December2014=31May2015

1 Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Avoid Dried Fruit and Fruit Juice ( So I will still eat loads of fruit and many banana smoothies and very little juice, no more than a cup a day)
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

So then if by 31May2015 I will evaluate my progress. If I fail to loose weight I will try eating only two fruit a day.

So Will report back in 6 months.
Bye
Chel-lala

Postby Chel-lala » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:42 pm

Oh and my current weight is 72kg and I am 174cm and 31years old.
Chel-lala

Postby frozenveg » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:40 am

Chel-lala wrote:Thank you Frozenveg for answering my questions.So then if by 31May2015 I will evaluate my progress. If I fail to loose weight I will try eating only two fruit a day.

So Will report back in 6 months.
Bye
Great! Good luck to you, and we hope to hear from you then! And in the meantime, if you want!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby nakeasimone13 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:01 pm

I am new to plant based whole foods and I am trying to lose the last 40lbs. Can I eat whole wheat flour torillas? I know it's a silly question but the book mentioned no bread, bagels and and pasta. I just wanted clarification. Thanks
nakeasimone13

Postby frozenveg » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:27 am

nakeasimone13 wrote:I am new to plant based whole foods and I am trying to lose the last 40lbs. Can I eat whole wheat flour torillas? I know it's a silly question but the book mentioned no bread, bagels and and pasta. I just wanted clarification. Thanks

Another thing that keeps whole wheat flour tortillas off most of our plates (MWL or regular plan) is that they mostly have added oil. It will also help to become a label-reader! Here is a short video of Jeff Novick, RD on label reading.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs

There are lots more of Jeff's label-reading videos on YouTube! It's fun! Google it!

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby Lean Jean » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:18 pm

I'm not sure how to make the discussion board work, but here goes. On November 10th I stopped eating animal (including fish & eggs) of any kind as well as dairy. Yep, did this just a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. The fact that I have not found it difficult tells me this is right for me. I watched many of the McDougall videos on Youtube and the website. I've made sure each meal includes a starch (I love potatoes--sweet too, brown rice, and beans) and lots of veggies. I've limited avocado (my favorite fat) and stayed away from olive oil. I found some oil free dressing to add to potato and salads. Maybe I getting fats in ways I don't realize. I have also kept fruit to a minimum. I'm almost never hungry but do get munches sometimes and go to low fat microwave popcorn.

The thing is that in the first month I lost 9 pounds which seemed really good to me. Not too fast and not too slow. But now another month has passed and I'm stuck-no more weight loss. I'm sure I'm not completely on program with little cheats during the holidays. But even with that I've been increasing my exercise (not enough yet but it's a start) I would expect a few more pounds to go.

I hope that is enough information for someone to spot what I'm doing wrong.
Lean Jean

Postby frozenveg » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:56 am

Lean Jean wrote:I'm not sure how to make the discussion board work, but here goes. On November 10th I stopped eating animal (including fish & eggs) of any kind as well as dairy. Yep, did this just a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. The fact that I have not found it difficult tells me this is right for me. I watched many of the McDougall videos on Youtube and the website. I've made sure each meal includes a starch (I love potatoes--sweet too, brown rice, and beans) and lots of veggies. I've limited avocado (my favorite fat) and stayed away from olive oil. I found some oil free dressing to add to potato and salads. Maybe I getting fats in ways I don't realize. I have also kept fruit to a minimum. I'm almost never hungry but do get munches sometimes and go to low fat microwave popcorn.

The thing is that in the first month I lost 9 pounds which seemed really good to me. Not too fast and not too slow. But now another month has passed and I'm stuck-no more weight loss. I'm sure I'm not completely on program with little cheats during the holidays. But even with that I've been increasing my exercise (not enough yet but it's a start) I would expect a few more pounds to go.

I hope that is enough information for someone to spot what I'm doing wrong.

Lean Jean,

If you want to discuss further, you will want to start your own thread! Near the top of the page, under the title of the forum you're in (i.e., "Maximum Weight Loss Program"), click "New Topic." Give it a title that relates to your question, and post your thoughts there--that starts a new thread people can reply easily to.

How about if you give us a day or two of what you eat and drink, with condiments and everything listed, and we could possibly give you ideas of what may be off on your eating patterns. How much do you have to lose? If you lost a lot in the first month, you may have already hit a plateau and your body is adjusting. However, it's also possible that some things are slipping in to slip you up on losing.

You posted this is in the thread that is headed Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines. Have you read the guidelines at the top of this thread? They are very helpful, and list the foods to eliminate, which includes avocado ;-) . Those guidelines are a good start if you are impatient to lose weight. I didn't discover them until I had been eating this way for a few months, and so I can't tell if they are something I could have jumped right into, but I do love eating by them now, I can tell you! And I do best when I do follow the MWL guidelines.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Success Story:
frozenveg

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program