Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Maximum Weight Loss Guidelines

Postby tangeletti2 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:04 pm

hey! newbie here... is my old fashioned oatmeal "whole grain"? is my oatmeal & blueberries (only fruit of the day) Ok???That is the only "grain" I eat , the rest is salads & veggies with my potatos & sweet potato or rice...OK???
tangeletti2

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:49 am

tangeletti2 wrote:hey! newbie here... is my old fashioned oatmeal "whole grain"?

Yep. So is the 1-minute version. It's the powderedy instant kind that is *not* whole grain.

is my oatmeal & blueberries (only fruit of the day) Ok???

It's a perfect breakfast.

That is the only "grain" I eat , the rest is salads & veggies with my potatos & sweet potato or rice...OK???

Rice is a grain, too. So is quinoa, wild rice, barley, faro, etc. - all are perfectly fine to eat on all versions of the McDougall programs. Try them all! :lol:
VeggieSue

Please Help me with the MWL list of brand foods to eat

Postby Sunflwrgirl » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Hello everyone, Im so excited since I just finished reading Dr. McDougall's MWL and ready to begin. Been following the basic plan on line here in the forum using the recipes that I randomly find and from then MWL list filled with recipes.. However, I wanted to kick things up a knotch and read the book and then follow the plan. I have printed out the shopping list of brand names and such from the book and with no luck found myself going home nearly empty handed. I am wondering if there is a new/updated list I can get from someone on here since I am beginning to believe that the list in the book is old or that people in El Paso really do eat as poorly as I had come to believed... lol It does say in the book that I can send a self addressed stamped envelope to the address shown, but I am feeling very discouraged by that as I am not a person who really wants to wait on snail mail.. :P
Sunflwrgirl

Postby Katydid » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 am

I wouldn't even worry about it. Get yourself some boil-in-bag brown rice, a bag of potatoes, some sweet potatoes and winter squash, some canned beans and tomatoes, a big jar of your favorite salsa, some fresh and frozen (no sauce!) fruits and vegetables and go to town. You don't really need brand names of anything. Buy no-salt added canned beans and tomatoes if you like, but it isn't necessary. Check for added oils if you buy processed or canned goods like tortillas or diced tomatoes, otherwise throw the lists out the window.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby frozenveg » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:06 am

I want to second Kate! It is so important to realize that you don't need any "products" on this plan at all, and I remember that I didn't know that at the beginning. Just get potatoes and rice, corn and peas, lettuce and broccoli, canned tomatoes, some dried or canned beans,(and both Kate and I were just throwing out a few of many, many starches and vegetables you can have), and start eating!

The hardest part in the beginning is figuring out which "flavorings" are acceptable. After a while, the plain food will taste so good, you will forget to use the sauces you got in the early days (like I do!). But in the early days, you are looking for things that will make the plain food have more flavor. So what's acceptable? You know, is ketchup OK, how about this mustard, this salsa, this stir-fry sauce, this hot sauce, this maple syrup?

So I suggest that you maybe watch Jeff Novick's label reading videos to see how to judge for yourself from the products that are
available to you on the shelves at your regular supermarket. This is a very simple-foods plan! Here's a link to one of Jeff's talks on label reading:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs

And here's a link to Jeff's notes on making simple food FAST with simple products, better known as SNAP (Simple, Nutritious, Affordable Plan):
viewtopic.php?t=10519

He has a great Fast Food video (series) that I highly recommend--the first one is invaluable! Here's a link to a short excerpt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yd9XnyNGXGs
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Sunflwrgirl » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:51 pm

First I want to say thank you both so much especially for your timing on your response. I was actually about to walk in the store for groceries when Katydid's message came through and then while leaving Frozenveg came through and confirmed. I did basically do as you both had mentioned and focused on potatoes, rice and lots of veggies. I been doing this for awhile and had been losing about 5 pounds a month. However I think the past few weeks before I read MWL I started to eat a lil to much Ezekiel bread with Jelly and tofu blended with Vegan chips to make pudding. I think I can get away with it a bit but obviously I was having it more than just a bit :P.....

Frozenveg you did hit the nail right on the head with the sauces and dressings and such. The warmer it gets outside the simpler I want my kitchen time to be. However I dont have much salads or fresh veggies since I prefer some tiny amount of dressing. When I saw that their was a nice list put together of random things that were ok, I got very excited and of course wanted to have some of them. This of course discouraged me tremendously as I am not finding many of the stuff on the list. Though I do recognize allot of it, Im thinking that this is not things found where I am at...

One really important thing that I would like is the Amazeke rice drink that I am not finding anywhere. Going to call the website phone number on Monday with hopes to hear where I can find this. It would be nice to have a cold bowl of cereal now and then since this has always been a lifelong love of mine. Not that I like real sugary cereal, I even love cereals like plain shredded wheat... I was doing rice dream rice milk when I first started this woe almost 6 months ago, but something in me tells me I should leave it alone...

Also I have a few of Jeff Novick's dvd's as well as read allot of him on the forum. Maybe I need to go in and read more again of his basic stuff as well as rewatch his videos I have since it has been awhile since doing so. Kind of a refresher course ;)
Sunflwrgirl

Postby kimz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:07 pm

Ok i'm starting in the morning! Mary's mini diet plan. I've been vegan for 6 yrs now. I occasionally have cheese and my worst habit is tasting desserts at work. I am determined to follow the guidelines. I'm tired of dieting and obsessing about food and my weight. I want to be free! I would like to lose 16 lbs.
kimz

Postby clarabels » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:24 pm

Count me in! See y'all in August. :-D
clarabels

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:18 am

LynnCS wrote:Can you tell me more about the boil-in-bag brown rice? Is it frozen? or?

Success brand rice comes in plastic bags that get tossed into boiling water for 8-10 minutes. You can find it right in the grocery store aisle alongside all the other bags of rice. It comes in white and brown versions, small (one serving bags) and Family Sized (3? servings per bag). This is the same as Minute Rice and other instant rices but is pre-measured. This is the rice Jeff Novick praises so much and uses in his Fast Food videos.

Some grocery stores do also carry frozen cooked brown rice. None of my local stores carry the brown, only white, rice so I never tried it, myself.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Here's a picture I found on someone's blog of the bag in the water:

Notice the teeny holes in the bag? That's how the water gets onto the rice to cook it. When the time is up, just drain the water in the sink, let the bag drip for a minute or so, then slice the bag and dump your rice into the bowl.
VeggieSue

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 am

LynnCS wrote:OMG! VeggieSue... :oops: Some people need pictures!

And I'm one of them! That's why I post so many of them here. They do say one is worth 1000 words, right? :)
VeggieSue

Postby frozenveg » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:17 am

They don't sell Success Rice here, but the frozen section does have brown rice in bags. But that's not shelf-stable, so not nearly as portable and convenient! Once in a while, my Costco carries brown rice in bowls - shelf-stable - that can be microwaved in 90 seconds. I really stock up on them when they do, as a bowl is about a cup and a half, which is a perfect emergency snack for me! Great for traveling, too. Annie's brand also has microwaveable brown rice, but Costco's is 1/4 the price.

Success Story:
frozenveg

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:25 am

frozenveg wrote: Once in a while, my Costco carries brown rice in bowls - shelf-stable - that can be microwaved in 90 seconds. I really stock up on them when they do, as a bowl is about a cup and a half, which is a perfect emergency snack for me!

Take a close look at the ingredient label. When preparing this year's hurricane/blizzard box I was thinking of grabbing a bunch of those pre-cooked microwave ones, then noticed every brand I picked up had oil as an ingredient, so back they all went. No Costco near me so going there isn't an option.
VeggieSue

Postby auggie7 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:59 pm

Ok I am so excited to be part of this awesome group :-D Love it!! So I am slowly giving up the not allowed foods. I already have given up oil, sugar, and added salt, I may have natural salt from the food items. So today I gave up nuts, tomorrow it will be seeds and processed grains. So excited I am going to do this!!!! I love sweet potatoes yummy with sprinkled cinnamon!!! I am not at my ideal BMI and would like to get to it. I will tell my weight in pounds too at each weigh in and be honest weather I gained or lose for that week. So grateful to be part of this group, Thank you all you amazing plant based peeps :cool: :shock: 8) :-P :!: Lets rock this everyone, we can do this!!!!! I love them all Mcdougal, Goldhammer, Furhman, Oshman, Benard, Essetyten, Sorry I don't know how to spell all those guys names, and I have only been in Santa Rosa 5 times, to see many of the great ones, Dougs lectures are amazing they really make you think, he kills it.... One of the things he said that sticks into my head, I do love nuts I could eat a entire can of them, as a matter a fact I have many times, Well at one of Dougs lecture he said nuts are not meant to be eaten like a meal are ancestors had to shell them and it took time and they could only eat a few after shelling, we get nuts in abundance that are shelled it is not meant for us to eat nuts like that. So giving up my nuts is huge!!! My nut butter :crybaby: but I am going for it, one day at a time.
auggie7

Postby frozenveg » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 am

VeggieSue wrote:
frozenveg wrote: Once in a while, my Costco carries brown rice in bowls - shelf-stable - that can be microwaved in 90 seconds. I really stock up on them when they do, as a bowl is about a cup and a half, which is a perfect emergency snack for me!

Take a close look at the ingredient label. When preparing this year's hurricane/blizzard box I was thinking of grabbing a bunch of those pre-cooked microwave ones, then noticed every brand I picked up had oil as an ingredient, so back they all went. No Costco near me so going there isn't an option.

The ingredients are: brown rice. That's why I get so excited every other year when they carry them!

Success Story:
frozenveg

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program