Flavored waters

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Flavored waters

Postby Mrs Missakian » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:47 pm

I sampled flavored waters today at Costco. I didn't see anything in the ingredient label that was bad but I'm still new to reading labels. Upon further research, it appears that they use Splenda to sweeten the water. Has anybody used this product. Is it McDougall approved? I'm not planning on guzzling it but after 20 days of McDougalling, I'm pretty burnt out on water and herbal teas.
Mrs Missakian

Postby Ladybug » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:55 pm

I got a bottle of pomagranite juice just add a little to a glass of water. Yum Yum. Could do the same with any frozen juice also blackberry ,orange ,tangerine lime, the choices are limitless. I would also think any nectars would be good ,more choices They wouldn't be adding many calories as you would use only a little for flavor.
Ladybug

Postby hope101 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:16 pm

Mrs Missakian, here is a recent newsletter that can tell you what Dr. McDougall thinks about artificial sweeteners. I doubt he would have issue with occasional use of them, but overall it's not really favourable.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/nov/sweeteners.htm

I too use the few Tbsp. of juice in cold water (or even lime juice) for my cold drinks. If you like hot drinks, have you tried some Teeccino with a splash of chocolate Silk in it. I have really grown to love it.
hope101

Make your own flavored waters

Postby Malva » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:03 pm

Just like the previous suggestions.
I put a splash of apple juice in a glass and fill it with water.
Just a hint of apple.
It takes me 2-3 days to go through a 10 oz bottle of apple juice that way.
I do a more restricted Program to maintain my weight & health. I have been McDougalling for about 30 years, with a long transition, until I finally accepted this lifestyle, stayed on Program and reached my goal back in 2006.
Malva

Postby Sunny » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:12 am

If I want to flavor my water I just add some lime to it, I do not like artificial sweetners. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby chrisv » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:19 am

There are some commercial flavored waters that are not sweetened. I don't know the name of the non-carbonated brand. Once in a while I buy Canada Dry flavored sparkling selzer water or similar carbonated unsweetened product.

Maybe you can find something you really like that is home made. Using fruit juice, lemon or lime juice. If you added spenda yourself, you could probably use less than the commercial brands.
The pounds you add two-by-two
You take off one-by-one
chrisv

Postby Mrs Missakian » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:10 am

I love these forums. Thank you all so much for your input. I read your replies and I think, "Duh!" It's okay. I'm still learning. So, I'm going to try adding fruit juice to my water and if I want it sweeter, I can use Stevia. I LOVE this. Not only am I in contral of my own beverage, it'll probably be cheaper than the bottled versions. I have to pick up some Teecino and give the chocolate Silk and Teeccino drink a try. You guys rock!
Mrs Missakian

Postby Puddy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Someone on the old McDougall board posted about putting a fruit-flavored teabag, such as raspberry, in a glass of cold sparkling water or seltzer water.

I tried it and really liked it a lot.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." C.S.Lewis in Mere Christianity
Puddy

Postby hope101 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:47 pm

Ooh, that sounds really good, Puddy. Yeah, we all forgot to mention herbal iced tea too. Good topic Mrs Missakian, since summer is approaching. :D
hope101

Postby Mrs Missakian » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:37 pm

Okay, so I tried that dash of fruit juice in my water and can I just say: LOVED IT! Thanks guys.
Mrs Missakian

teeccino is great iced, too...

Postby slimkat » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:08 pm

I love teeccino -- especially the mocha and the new Mayan mocha flavor.
It's great hot w/vanilla silk (though I'll try chocolate soon).

It's also great ICED! Ice + cold/lukewarm teeccino + soy/rice milk.

What I haven't done yet but have been thinking about doing, is making my own ice-blended w/ teeccino, soy milk, cocoa powder, and maybe half a frozen banana and some ice.

I'll let you know when I try it out!

SlimKat
[/url]
slimkat

Postby libellule » Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:51 pm

We love teecino! Thanks Hope! My son loves the hazlenut teecino. Our whole foods does not have the Mayan mocha flavor. We'd love to try that one!!

--Li
libellule

Postby hope101 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:44 am

Slimkat, I bet you could make a killer smoothie with the Teecino. I think banana would be great, but also a raspberry mocha Teecino sounds wonderful. Or strawberry.
hope101

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:14 am

oh man Mayan Mocha. ::drool:: I haven't drank the teechino I had, so haven't visited their site, but think I will this afternoon. That and soy vanilla do sound really good.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Flavored Waters

Postby pollkat » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:42 am

I used to buy flavored seltzer water. It had no sweeteners or sodium, however I later learned that the seltzer waters leech your body of calcium. So I have since stopped drinking them. They are quite good, but I can't afford to lose any more calcium. I also learned that drinking water out of plastic bottles delivers cancer causing properties into your water. Especially if the water is frozen, which I used to do. It causes the plastic to expand and contract which caused the plastic to leech these carcinogens into the water.
pollkat

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program