A new member

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A new member

Postby midesire » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:39 pm

Hello All,

My question is about the 2 programmes.
The MWL and the Non MWL.

I haven't purchased the book, and thought I would follow the menu plan on the web site. Now on the discussion board I am reading about the MWL programme, and this is the first I have heard about it.

Which plan would be best to start with.

Thank you for your assistance.
midesire

Re: A new member

Postby kirstykay » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:21 am

It really depends what your goals are. If you're trying to lose weight, the MWL plan is very helpful. If you just want to eat healthy but weight is not an issue for you, you can do the regular plan.
Here are the basics, but I do recommend buying the book. There is so much helpful and motivating information in there!

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.
1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

Guidelines for Healthy Eating in MWL book, page 67.
1. Eat until you’re satisfied
2. Graze
3. Allow time for digestion
4. Chew foods thoroughly
5. Restrict variety

The main difference in the two plans are: The weight loss plan restricts high fat whole foods (#3), flour product (#4), and only allows 2 servings of fruit/day (#9). These "rules" make weight loss faster.
A good place to start is to go to the "Food and Recipes" section of the forum and look up recipes using the "clickable" MWL list and the regular list. You'll get an idea of the differences.

Good luck, and keep posting. People here are very friendly, helpful, and encouraging!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Kime » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:39 am

If you want to lose weight and you have a lot to lose, you can start out on the regular plan, which allows flour products, and then when your weight loss slows down, switch to the MWL plan. You would lose faster on the MWL plan from the start, but the regular plan might be easier to begin with as a transitional phase. If you only need to lose 30 pounds or less the MWL plan would probably be the best.
Kime

Postby VeganMom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:21 pm

So far I vary between the two and have had small success with weight loss. The above advice is true and worthwhile. But it doesn't have to be all or nothing. The more you follow the plan (like MWL), the better for you.
~ Lisa

VeganMom

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program