Proud of Myself

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Proud of Myself

Postby catmatt » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Good Afternoon Everyone,

Today is day #2 for my vegan diet. I almost slipped up yesterday....I wanted some chips badly. I knew though, if I had one, it would have started another binge. Then today, we went to a resturant that doesn't have anything vegan. I just ordered some water and sipped on it and socialized. I had a good time without food!!

Either one of these circumstances could have easily sent me into a "binge now, diet tomorrow" mentality, but I got past the temptations fairly easy.

I hope everyone has a great day,
Cathy
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wxcykMX/]
[/url]
catmatt

Re: Proud of Myself

Postby Vegankit » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:07 pm

Excellent. BTW, look over older posts here for lots of info about dealing with eating out and sticking to McDougall diet - there is a lot of good advice. Dr. McDougall also addresses this in his books and tapes. It is hard eating out but having a plan definitely helps - load up on these ideas so next time you'll have a plan A, B and C to choose from. I have done what you did, just had water or tea and I found it more fun because I could focus on the socializing aspect - after all that's why we get together with people.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby amyla51 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Cathy- Good for you!!! This way of eating can be hard, especially when you start out. I am also a chip person and cannot have just one, so I don't have any. Instead, I cook some potatoes in the oven. I slice them about 1/8", lay them on a baking sheet and sprinkle with some herbs, then bake at 350 for 20 minutes, turn them over and bake for another 20. Having them with some ketchup or salsa feeds my need to "dip".
Mary McD says that every time you eat out you compromise on eating healthy. In some places there is absolutely nothing you can eat. I have ben able to find at least a salad, and sometimes a baked potato (plain).
I applaud you for not having your own little "Pity Party" when you couldn't eat with your friends! (That used to be my trap.) Keep it up!

Amy in NH :)
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby Katydid » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 am

Congrats on staying strong. Now learn to speak up for what you want when you are eating out. Just because there is nothing vegan listed on the menu doesn't mean you can't get a vegan meal. Does the restaurant offer baked potatoes? Demand one without butter, cheese or sour cream. Do they offer salads? Demand one without added chicken, bacon or cheese. No fat-free dressing? Demand a bottle of vinegar. Do they offer a side of vegetables (green beans? broccoli?) demand a plate of just side dishes, no butter. Do they offer chips and salsa? Demand just a bowl of salsa. You may (and probably will) end up paying more for ordering less food, but you will get the meal you want. I say demand not ask because frankly you sometimes have to be a bit of a hard a$$ to get through to the wait staff. If necessary lie. Say you will have an allergic reaction if there is any cheese in your salad or butter on your potato. In the end, if they want your business they will want to make you happy. Just make sure to leave a good tip.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby VeganMom » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:25 pm

You done good! All the above posts are full of great advice, I just wanted to cheer you on. I will be re-starting yet again, so don't worry if you fall. Just get back up and get on plan again. I am going to be a master at starting. :D
~ Lisa

VeganMom

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program