Started McDougalling Today

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Started McDougalling Today

Postby catmatt » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Everyone,

I started the MWLP today and I feel like this is the diet for me. I have been on several diets since Jan 1, but I always ended up going off of them. I don't have a problem giving up meat because I don't like it very much anyway. Dairy is something that I love though, and I know that I will be wanting milk. There is so much variety on this program that maybe I won't miss it too much.

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Cathy
catmatt

Re: Started McDougalling Today

Postby kimba » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:37 am

Welcome Cathy. You can always use rice milk.
kimba

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Welcome a board. To help you a bit, instead of thinking of it as a diet, think about how healthy you are eating. You are trying to help your body and give it what it wants. It's a learning process but it's a journey to health. It's not something you go on and off of, or it shouldn't be.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby lydia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:17 pm

I would suggest reading The China Study by Campbell. That book is a fantastic read and very convincing about dairy. Just reread it and found it as interesting as the first time....
lydia

Postby kimba » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:15 pm

What is the China Study book about? Just dairy? Ive not read that book.
kimba

Postby janluvs2heel » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Hi catmatt,

I also had a really hard time giving up milk, cheese, etc. I was raised on milk, believe it or not, I would not drink whole milk, only skim but I drank a ton of it. I think part of the thing is it is white & that tends to make us believe it is a good guy.

The other "milks", yes, they can be used a little on cereal, etc., but they dont taste the same, at least for me, so I gave up all the dairy. Hard, but once you push thru it, it becomes a thing of the past. And just think of the money you save, man, a gallon of milk is like a lot of money!!

Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby catmatt » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:49 am

Thank you all for the welcome and words of wisdom.

Lydia - I will see if the library has The China Study book. I need something that will help me give up dairy products.Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, this is the beginning of the 2nd day of a vegan diet. Yesterday I fixed some lima beans with no seasoning except an onion and some salt. They were very good. Today I am fixing vegetable soup.

Hope everyone has a good day!

Cathy
catmatt

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:14 pm

Way to go Cathy. Yes, it's just one day at a time. When I gave up dairy I had to do away with any foods that normally used dairy. I did the same thing with meat. No substitution worked. It helped to change my way of thinking like that.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program