MWL Questions

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

MWL Questions

Postby Maryt54 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 am

I have been doing the MWL program and for 4 weeks and have not lost any weight, but I do love this way of eating and feel full. I do not have much to lose - I am 5 ft 4 in and weigh 128. I would just like to lose 5 pounds or so. I am following the MWL plan pretty strictly and have even cut down on the starches anf added more of the suggested veggies, but that leaves me hungry.

I do exercise - the Physique 57 workout 4-5 days a week and get my 10000 steps in daily.

Also, I still have loose stools. My main starch is potatoes. The diet I had before contained small amounts of chicken, turkey and salmon, but I always ate a large amount of leafy greens and veggies and always had whole grains. I would think that 4 weeks would be enough time to adjust. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance....
Maryt54

Re: MWL Questions

Postby Potatohead » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:35 am

Just keep eating the way you are...you will lose, but it will be slow because you only have 5lbs to lose..you body is comfortable at that weight...no need to back off on the starches if your hungry...1 month seems like a long time, but its really not...it might take you 6 months to lose that 5 lbs...my last 25lbs took me over a year to lose...the closer you are to your ideal weigh the harder it is to lose....just keep in mind the great fuel you are putting in your body...don't give up..it will happen
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:01 pm

Your system should be use to it by now. I'm not sure why you are still having problems. Maybe post that question to the doctors' board.

As for the weight, wow, it is going to be slow. Are you sure you don't need but a little firming? I just ran your BMI and it is only 22 which it says is 'At or a little below normal'.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Maryt54 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for the replies -- I'm sure I still have to lose a few lbs because the extra weight is on the thigh area and losing the lbs is the only way to get it off AND get it toned. If I were proportioned, I wouldn't be so quick to lose the weight. At 123, my legs look good, I know because I've lost that last 10 pounds over and over again. I finally feel that I can keep eating this way forever so I'll put in the time. So glad I found this forum... it's so informative.
Maryt54

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:09 pm

wow, at 5'2" I can't even imagine being 128. Back in my teens I did handle 120-128 but I starved.

You know in MWL he has the slower method the faster and the rapid method. You may have to increase your veggies and keep the starches slightly lower.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Maryt54 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 pm

Faith in DC

In high school,I was 119 and not skinny by any means, my thighs were still the biggest part. I tried your suggestion cause I read about the ratio, but I was too hungry, so I think I'll have to settle for the slow weight loss. I'm more active in the summer, so maybe the combo of this way of eating and increased exercise will do it. I just want to get back into my clothes - as you know 5 lbs makes a big difference on shorter people.

I saw some posts of someone who was 5'5'' and weighed about 110....that may be taking it a little too far....
Maryt54

Postby Katydid » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:20 am

I'm 5'9" and weigh 155 pounds. A few years back, I decided that I wanted to weigh 145 pounds and be a size 8. I could not get my weight down to 145 by diet and walking so I took up running. My weight dropped to 145 pounds and I got the elusive size 8. Then I broke my ankle and it had to be rebuilt with plates, screws and pins. No more running. Now staying with the MWL plan and doing moderate walking and weight lifting, my weight is stable at 155 and I wear a size 10. That's a lot better than the 305 pounds and size 26 I started with.
Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Maryt54 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:59 am

Wow, Katydid, I admire your progress. I agree I don't want to be obsessive with a number - just want to fit into my clothes. So I'm hoping to trade muscle for fat. I love this way of eating so it's easy to maintain the weight I'm at....As I mentioned before on other ways of eating i could get down to 123, but then craving would sneak up on me and my weight would go up. MWL seem to curb the cravings for me. LOVE IT....
Maryt54

Postby Faith in DC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:04 pm

Setting goals on how much to weigh isn't easy. I'm struggling with that now. I haven't been a normal weight for about 27 years. I don't see me getting as small as I was back then. I would like to have a healthy BMI. I also don't want too many sags. Everytime I think I have it, I change my mind.
Faith
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program