need a reality check and some advice.

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

need a reality check and some advice.

Postby tinabru » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:24 pm

OK, been on plan since monday, today is thursday. posted my first day food on my first day, got some advice, today I ate:

b-fast: oatbran, banana
lunch: green beans, baked potato, salsa
dinner: cooked spinach, whole wheat pasta, frozen banana

during the day, tea (no coffee today, I don't believe it!)
one and one 1/2 cans diet soda (I know it's not healthy but
I don't think it will impede my weight loss)

I was not hungry between meals, or even super hungry at meal times.

Now, my question. Years ago (when I wasn't 51) I would go on a 'plan' and my jeans felt better in 2 days. Today, my jeans were really tight (ok, they were hot out the the dryer..but still) In my head I know this is not enough time to see or feel anything, but inside I am getting worried that maybe this plan works for everyone but not me.. :(
Could I have some support please..
btw: 51, female, 5'3 1/2" , 220 pounds (oh my, how did it happen!)

thanks,
tina
tinabru

Re: need a reality check and some advice.

Postby sksamboots » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:39 pm

I believe this plan works for everyone. You know what though, I thought the exact same thing when I started. Just sit back and let the results happen. Get rid of fast weight lost mentality and think about all the positives that are happening to your body. Your blood pressure, cholesterol and other numbers are all going now, as we speak. Your insides are screaming "thank you" "thank you" Keep your head up and keep on keepin on :nod:
sksamboots

Postby talkingmountain » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:49 pm

As long as you're not adding oil to the foods you listed, yes, this plan will work for you. Be patient.

I think I've read that coffee is a stronger diuretic than tea, so the switch (and congrats on that, by the way!) may just have you retaining a bit of water for a few days. Also, diet sodas tend to have tons of sodium which causes water retention.
Cured: severe reflux, chronic pain, pre-diabetes. More to come!
Join me at my McDougall journal, "Recommitting" http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29811
talkingmountain

Postby kirstykay » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:13 am

I thought the same thing when I started, but then I began seeing results!!! Trust the plan. Make a commitment to yourself that you will stick with it, no matter what, 100% for the next 30 days. No excuses. Don't let your mind play tricks on you. You can do it.

Just a couple of thoughts about you menu: Looks good except pasta is not allowed on the MWL plan. It's allowed on the regular plan, but not for weight loss. Also, no diet soda is allowed on the plan. One important reason is that it leaches calcium from your bones, not a good thing! Another is that it keeps your taste buds and your brain craving sweets. I think you will find that if you give it up, you will feel better after the initial withdrawl. My last bit of advice is that a little exercise will go a long way in getting you into your "skinny jeans."

Good luck to you! You can do it! Keep up the good work and trust the plan!!! It works, just read a star mcdougaller story everyday...that can be you!!!!!!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby tinabru » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:37 am

thanks Kirsty! I am still waiting for my MWL book..question, even whole wheat pasta is not allowed? If that's the case, I can deal with that..
Soda, tea and coffee are going to be a challenge..I can cut back, but quiting entirely is going to take some time and I just am not at a point where I really want to quit..so that makes it twice as hard. Knowing you should but not wanting to is not a good thing.

I actually did get on the treadmill twice this week..1/2 hour first time and then 20 minutes second time. I need to do it everyday..
I feel good, and I'm not hungry, I just want to feel thinner..I am commited. I am going to a friends house for dinner tomorrow and I am going to call her today and tell her about my plan so she isn't shocked when i pass up dessert.
Thanks for your support...
tina
tinabru

Postby Clary » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:09 am

Until your book arrives, you could check out Kirstykay's post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15978

and you can Go here:
http://mcdougall-friendly-recipes.pbworks.com/Summaries
and Scroll Down to here:
The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL, or MWLP)
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:13 pm

wow where's the veggies? Where's the fruit? I'd be starved. Picture your plate, try half veggies and half starch.

Glad to hear you started the exercisse.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby tinabru » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Hey Faith,
2 bananas and green beans and spinach...
I was full all day.
tinabru

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:13 pm

I'm glad you were full. It just doesn't seem like much. I try to strive for five veggie and my two fruits. But if you were full then maybe later. I know getting use to all the starches and fiber can fill you up quicker. I kind of eat massive amounts of foods now.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby tinabru » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:30 pm

Hey Faith, usually I am the kind of eater that eats way more than anyone else (hence the weight issue)..Do you think it is the starch that is making me so full?? also, can it be puffing me up, which might be why my jeans feel tight..maybe its the fiber? What do you think?
tinabru

Postby TwinB » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:09 pm

After only 3 days you have may have better things to think about: food for the weekend, searching for new recipes that sound appealing, making sure you're getting enough exercise. In short: not to worry. Your body has its own timetable that has evolved over all of your family's past generations down to you. It will do what it's designed to do - get you healthy. Chill grasshopper. :D
TwinB

Postby RiceGirl » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:14 am

Gee, it took three weeks before I lost a pound, so don't worry about it - everybody loses in their body's own sweet time.

Hang in there. :)
DJ
DJ
Height 5'9"

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been - The Elephant Hill School of Economics
RiceGirl

Postby tinabru » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks DJ. I'll try to be patient. I read alot of people saying how much they lost in one week and I haven't lost anything . But I will stick with it. I just am tired of feeling this way .
tinabru

Postby Clary » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 am

Clary wrote:Until your book arrives, you could check out Kirstykay's post in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=15978

and you can Go here:
http://mcdougall-friendly-recipes.pbworks.com/Summaries
and Scroll Down to here:
The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss (MWL, or MWLP)

You haven't mentioned these links (above) or this information (above). Did you get a chance to review any of the information?
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby MaryW » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:01 pm

I wouldn't worry about not losing. I actually GAINED a couple of pounds when I started. Give your body a chance to adjust. Also, if you have drastically increased your fiber, you might be bloated. Drink extra water to help the fiber get through your system and wash out sodium.

And I agree with Faith. If you are looking to lose weight, increase your veggies. Raw is better, so try to eat salad a couple of times per day, preferably at the beginning of a meal. Cooked veggies are good, but they don't seem to be as effective for weight loss.
MaryW

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program