A Somewhat Gross Observation

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Somewhat Gross Observation

Postby splat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:10 pm

I have recently noticed a welcome side effect since undertaking MWL. Ever since attending college in the late '80's, I developed a condition that is embarrassing to talk about; Athlete's Foot. The creams and sprays reduced the symptoms but as soon as you stop, it comes right back. Well, for the first time in almost 20 years, all of a sudden, it's gone. Now, I know what some of you may be thinking, and believe me, I'm skeptical as well. How can diet have anything to it? I haven't used any over-the-counter products since I started MWL. I haven't needed to since the symptoms constantly reminded me to use the products. I haven't had the symptoms, so I forgot to use them. Today is the first time I've really become aware that the symptoms are gone. I haven't bought new shoes or socks, either. I was told by my doctor that once you get it, it never permanently goes away. Time will tell if I am permanently "cured".
I have not once experienced indigestion in the slightest for almost three weeks. Meat and fried food would get me every time. I liked them so much that I simply resigned to the fact that it was the price that had to be payed. My hair is definitely drier. I could probably go two days without using shampoo and get away with.
The indigestion and hair I can intuitively understand being effected by this new way of eating, but to say that diet creates a bodily condition that inhibits a dermal fungus, that's hard to believe.
Tomorrow morning is the big weigh-in, so I'm hoping for another small miracle. I didn't lose anything last week.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSs0DrN/]
[/url]
splat

Well, Debbie...

Postby splat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:09 pm

Well, Debbie, I think you are pretty much obligated to take a big whiff of your husband's feet to add support for our theory! :-D Rate the stink on a scale from one to ten. Do it! Science demands it!
[/url]
splat

Re: A Somewhat Gross Observation

Postby Lacey » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:57 pm

My husband's body ordor completely changed after he gave up eating animal products. Even when he has been working hard and has gotten sweaty he just doesn't smell bad. And since I changed my diet he says that my skin is softer and smoother. I don't have trouble believing that better health "inside" translate to better health with our outsides.
Lacey

Weigh in

Postby splat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 am

I weighed myself this morning. I lost 4 pounds this week.
[/url]
splat

I forgot to mention...

Postby splat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 am

I also had to drill a new hole in my belt to hold my pants up this week. This means more to me than the pounds lost.
[/url]
splat

Postby Lacey » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:09 am

Congratulations on the weight loss, Splat! It feels good to have to tighten your belt, doesn't it? I am either going to have to start wearing a belt or else buy new jeans as the ones I am wearing are starting to get really baggy. I have jeans two sizes down, but not one size down, so I think I'll just make do until I can wear ones I already own. I hate buying clothes in sizes I hope to just zip past on my way to a healthier weight!
Lacey

Postby Melinda » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:31 pm

My husband noticed his feet quit stinking after giving up all animal products - he was always slightly embarrassed about them before.
Melinda

Postby petero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:28 am

debbie wrote:He used to use powders creams and sprays and the problem was still there.

Baking soda. Cheap and works like a charm--the alkaline environment inhibits the growth of odor-producing bacteria. This works really well for "a friend of mine." ;-) It doesn't deodorize existing shoes, though, so this friend wishes he'd discovered this sooner as it would have saved him a lot of discarded shoes.

The diet does help with hyperhidrosis of the feet, though, which will also decrease bacterial growth. As does exercise and not smoking. I don't know what that's about--maybe somebody should ask in the Dr.'s forum--maybe a circulation issue?

Prescription-wise, there is clonidine, marketed as Catapres in 3 strength of skin patch. It is for hypertension but is used off-label for hyperhidrosis. It's not very expensive and works somewhat for "my friend", but he has not had to use it since adopting a healthy lifestyle.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby petero » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 am

The electrical apparatus also works well, but it is not designed well enough to cover a large enough area and requires chunks of time to use. It also requires the purchase of cell-phone type batteries, which do not last long and are expensive.

There are also very strong, prescription-strength antiperspirants, with a high aluminum content, of course. Certain-Dri (non-prescription but highest strength) may work for someone with less sweating. It should be applied before bed because it requires a certain amount of perspiration to "set".

Finally, there is a surgery where they cut a nerve. However, it is more effective with hand sweating than foot sweating.

Life is hard.
It's easy to be a naive idealist. It's easy to be a cynical realist. It's quite another thing to have no illusions and still hold the inner flame. -- Marie-Louise von Franz
petero

Postby momof4 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:48 pm

petero wrote:Finally, there is a surgery where they cut a nerve. However, it is more effective with hand sweating than foot sweating.

Be careful with that. I know someone who had that surgery, and now she deals with what I think is called "compensatory sweating." Now, although her hands are dry, she sweats heavily from her waist down, and she's finding it to be a harder thing to deal with (because of clothing and shoes) than sweaty hands were. :-(
momof4

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program