I need some help - again!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

I need some help - again!

Postby Mommylut » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Here I am again with my tail between my legs. I have been off an on this board, and this program more times than I care to count. Most recently, I had been having stresses at work and lots going on and use it as an excuse to go haywire.
Then a frien tol me about Medifast. She lost a lot of weight fast and I thought this was the answer. To tell the truth I did lose weight -- about 20 lbs in 3 months. Along with that came an increase in protein in my urine. I feel like s--t. This board, and especially this thread, has helped me so much in the past. I am asking to be able to join again and share in everyone's thoughts and give any support I can give. By the way - some things positive did happened. Started a new job and, most importantly, I became a grandmother again 3 weeks ago. I now have 2 beautiful granddaughters! They are worth being healthy for!
Mommylut

Re: I need some help - again!

Postby amyla51 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Mommylut-

Welcome back! We have missed you! :-D

I have friends who tried Medifast and lost a lot of weight........BUT they all gained every bit back and more.

This plan works, you know it does, and if you fall off, just jump back on.

Keep coming back here......and no tail between the legs! What's that saying about people who living in glass houses and not throwing stones? :P

We are still here, and still kicking.....

Amy........ in my glass house in NH :)..... with not a stone in sight!
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby kirstykay » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Welcome Back! Glad you're hear again! I've been reading The Pleasure Trap, and I have found it so helpful in understanding my own struggle to lose weight all these years. It exposes the reasons WHY we as humans have such a draw to SAD foods. I've been able to see this for what it is and stop beating myself up about what is very normal and expected behavior. The nice thing about this book is that it points out the solution to the problem...and so does this website/program!Give yourself over to it! If you can do medifast, you can certainly eat healthy, delicious whole foods in quantities that keep you satisfied!Believe it, do it 100%, and don't look back!
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:00 pm

Saw your post. You know, I went back and forth and back and forth for years too. It took really having a motivating factor to get me to do it and even if I did have a slip to not look back and immediately pick it back up. You need to find something so compelling that there isn't a question on how you eat. It won't matter who dies, if the house burns down, it won't matter what because this is how I ate for me. Once you get that inside it really helps.

Keep on reaching, keep on trying. Hope you can get your blood pulled here soon to see what happened while you were off. That helped make my mind up on how to eat.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Mommylut » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks, everyone.
All good thoughts and I am feeling much better. Faith - what do you mean by having "my blood pulled"?
Mommylut

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:55 pm

sorry probably a bit of shelter slang. Have you blood drawn to see you lipid values. With ferrets we'd call it a pull since that is basically what is happening.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby areed030601 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

:-D You can do it better if you have a friend or loved one who will do the program with you. Its hard to be around people who are eating the SAD way at first. I too have been back and forth, but I'm convinced that this is the way to health. I plan on taking any set backs and jumping back in. Don't give up. Look to the message boards, what I've ready so far is very encouraging. It seems like all of these people on here are there for eachother. Good luck.
areed030601

Postby Attom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:11 pm

I think the way to make it through the cravings and hard times on theMcDougall program is to EAT! Eat, eat, eat until you are satisfied. You get weak when you let yourself get hungry. Remember to eat! It's okay to eat! (just the right foods). :D

--Adam
Attom

Postby Katydid » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:11 am

There's no question that this plan works. Dr. McDougall has done a great job to design a very livable diet, but that doesn't mean the the plan is effortless. You have to do your part, too. And that takes planning. When you get hungry you shouldn't have to even think about what you can eat - it should be right in the fridge ready to go. Every weekend I make a big pot of potato, bean and vegetable soup and put in individual containers ready to grab for lunch or dinner. I make a pot of brown rice and a pot of oat goats (my favorite breakfast). You can prebake sweet and white potatoes and they will keep several days in the fridge. Make sure you have easy access to fresh fruit. Cut-up vegetables. Make up a simple fat-free hummus with garbonzo beans, roasted red peppers (water-packed of course), garlic and lemon juice and you have something to dip them in. Keep a jar of salsa around, it makes a great topping for pototes, brown rice, and salads. I can get in from work and have dinner on the table in 15 minutes. And always bring you lunch to work. I don't care what or where your co-workers are eating. When we have a pizza party at work, I'm sitting right next to my friends eating leftover curry and brown rice and an apple and nobody says a word - they wouldn't dare or they known they'll get a lecture on McDougalling :D . Far from being ostracized, I've become the go-to person whenever there's a diet or nutritional question. I live with SAD eaters, but their food has no appeal to me at all. I can see very clearly what they are doing to themselves. I would no more eat their food than smoke their cigarettes or drink their beer. Be proud of what you are doing - you are sacrificing NOTHING and GAINING everything. Good Luck,
Cathy
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program