Question RE: MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question RE: MWL

Postby winkle211 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am

I know cooking spray is not allowed on the MWL, but does anyone use it who is on the MWL. If so, does it hinder your weight loss?
winkle211

Re: Question RE: MWL

Postby SmittenKitten » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:37 am

I wonder about that too, since on the can it says "Zero Fat." I know Dr. D says not to use it, but how come? :?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpIVCGA/]
[/url]
SmittenKitten

Postby SactoBob » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:48 am

You could really use Jeff Novick's DVDs on labels and calorie density.

1. Cooking spray is not allowed on either the MWL or regular plan or any other plan. It is simply and completely off plan for any plan.

2. Cooking oil will hinder weight loss and encourage weight gain faster than anything else you could eat. Jeff discusses the concept of calorie density in his new dvd. Oils are the most calorie dense products in the universe. He gives an example of using a tablespoon of oil on a pound of vegetables. There can be more calories from the oil than the veggies.

3. You have to understand the label issue to understand that products advertised as "zero fat" can be pure fat. This is the case with cooking sprays. By adjusting the serving size to a quantity nobody ever uses, they can legally advertise them as zero fat when in fact they are 100% fat. Strange but true.

Besides their status as the most calorie dense food in the universe, Dr. Esselstyn also establishes that they are very harmful to the arteries. Just don't use them. You can learn to saute in water or wine.
SactoBob

Postby SmittenKitten » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you, SactoBob. I will definately check out Jeff Novicks DVDs. I will admit, I'm not a numbers person, so looking at labels can be confusing for me. :roll:

I better buy some more parchment paper for my sweet potato fries, since I will no longer be spraying any oil. However, I sauteed some onions last night in vegetable broth, they turned out great! :nod:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wpIVCGA/]
[/url]
SmittenKitten

Postby desertwind56 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uSNvujONuQ

Not the video I was looking for, but he does explain it in here. Half a gram or less of fat gets ROUNDED DOWN. The serving size is the equivalent of a 1/4 second spray. I know when I use to use PAM I used way more than that!

The calorie/fat from these sorts of sprays is NOT ZERO. They are being less than truthful!!!

Connie
desertwind56

Postby winkle211 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks everybody! Helpful info.
winkle211

Postby Attom » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm

Cooking spray is nothing but oil in an aerosol can. Notice the 1/4 second spray serving size? Well, they purposely do that so that it's such a scant amount of oil that they don't have to count the fat or calories it. But really, when you use it, you are spraying for 2-3 seconds, if not longer, and that's a lot of oil.

Hope this helps~!
Attom

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program