Dr. Oz today (Tuesday, Feb 16)

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Dr. Oz today (Tuesday, Feb 16)

Postby amyla51 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:48 pm

On Dr. Oz's 100th show, he is having people on there who have lost 100 pounds. I am anxious to see if he talks about how they have achieved this. Bariatric surgery? I hope not. After having Rip Esselstyn on the other day, I am hopeful.
If you go to his web site, you can find out when he is on where you live.

Amy in NH :)
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Re: Dr. Oz today (Tuesday, Feb 16)

Postby amyla51 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:55 pm

I don't know if anyone saw it, but it was interesting. Everyone in the audience had lost at least 100 pounds. Some had lost over 150 pounds! The thing I liked was that NONE of them had had bariatric surgery. They had all done it, as Richard Simmons said, "The old fashioned way." He didn't espouse a particular "diet" or eating plan, but showed that it is never too late to start.

Amy :)
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby kimba » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:40 pm

I had turned it on just before Richard came on. I remember him from a long time ago. I have a couple of his exercise tapes. They are fun to do. And he has regular people on there, ones who actually need to lose weight. Really down to earth.

I enjoyed what I saw of the show. Way to go for all those who lost the weight and kept it off.

kimba
kimba

Postby MaryW » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:08 pm

I'm so sorry that I missed this! I tried watching it on his web site, but my internet connection isn't great. The video is very jerky for me. So frustrating! But I'm glad he had non-surgery people on. I think so many people look at surgery as the magic answer. But once they have it, they realize how much work it is and how many side effects there are. It's so much easier to change your lifestyle and AVOID surgery, rather than be forced to change your lifestyle BECAUSE of the surgery.

And who doesn't love Richard Simmons?? :-D
MaryW

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:13 pm

Sounds like it was a good show, sorry I missed it. He's only on during the day in my area so I never get to catch him.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby havfaith » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm

I would've liked to see that. Maybe I'll try his site and see if I can watch there.

I agree, too many people think surgery is the easy fix. How anyone can consider surgery easy, I'll never understand. I've seen too many people go in and have the surgery, lose a lot of weight and then regain it because they never learned to eat properly along the way. An old friend had it done a couple years ago (as did her husband, sister and mother) and though she's lost, she still eats mostly junk and drinks a lot... and wonders why she hasn't lost as much as some do. I just worry about her kids. All are overweight and she feeds them junk. It's just sad to see. :-(
http://stashingless.blogspot.com/
http://delusionsofdomesticity.blogspot.com/
havfaith

Postby Daffodil » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:33 am

Richard Simmons could look a lot better if he ditched the shorts for pants and did something different with that hair. Although I respect him for all the help he's given everyone over the years, he just irritates me.
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Richard Simmons...

Postby splat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am

I have a lot of respect for Richard. Yes he still wears the shorts. Yes he seems a little light in the loafers. But he is the first person I can remember to be seen in public with large groups of obese people and not treat them like a herd of diseased cattle. I suppose it stems from him at one time being one of them; carrying not only the extra weight but also the extra hurt and embarrassment. I believe he would do what he does even if it meant there was no monetary gain from it. He deserves the financial success he has gained. He is one of the good guys in my book.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSs0DrN/]
[/url]
splat

Postby Daffodil » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 pm

What I should have said about Richard Simmons is, I like him, have respect for him and yes, he is one of the good guys. But he really needs a makeover.
:)
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Postby RiceGirl » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:09 pm

The show with Rip Esselstyn was great! I bought his book, too, mostly because he espouses the same way of eating as McDougall (glory be!) AND he's from Austin. If the Austin firefighters can eat this way (at least some of them), then it doesn't sound so radical. :)

DJ
DJ
Height 5'9"

Things are more like they are now than they've ever been - The Elephant Hill School of Economics
RiceGirl

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program