New to this board...

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

New to this board...

Postby splat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm 42 years old and have been strictly following MWL for 18 days now. My reasons for starting are that my last physical, which I'm required to get due to the laws involving Commercial Driver's Licenses, showed that my blood pressure (145/92) has gotten to the point where my Dr. is about to intervene. Anything higher than 89+ diastolic, and I can't legally drive. He has given me three months to correct the problem or start me on medication. The thought of lifelong medication which my father is resigned to is not a path I wish to follow. The complications of years of daily pills (liver failure) is something that I think many don't consider but I am keenly aware of. My father does not drink, yet has a liver that resembles that of a long-term alcoholic, which requires yet more pills, ect. I have one more chance to avoid his fate. If I show up with a diastolic over 85, he will consider putting me on a diuretic (his rule, not the Fed). I'm 6'2" tall and weighed 280 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. After 18 days, my weight is 268 lbs and my BP is 122/82 as of this morning. I'm fairly pleased so far, but I wish my BP was a little lower to give me a little room for White Coat Syndrome. I assume the drop in BP is due to the elimination in fat and increase in fiber and not the meer 12 pound of weight I lost.

My diet prior to MWL mimics Dr. McDougall's early upbringing almost to a tee. I was raised a "farmboy" and continued to eat like a farmboy throughout adulthood. I didn't eat a lot of processed foods. All meals were eaten at the family table. I ate out maybe once every three weeks. But meals were centered around a large meat main course (fried chicken, pork chops, meatloaf) with some potato and vegetable on the side. This worked for me up until the early nineties. Due to mechanization of my daily life, I was no longer burning off these meals like when life was more simple and financial success was determined by the strength of my back. Those days are gone and they're not coming back. I had to alter the amount of fuel going in.

I abhor the very notion of daily exercise for its own sake. Sorry folks; you won't see me at gym, walking/jogging down the road, or riding a bike. I did a lot of the gym and running stuff in High School and I hated it then, but it allowed me to legally crush someone on the football field or on the wrestling mat. Plus the girls just loved it. So I was willing to put up with the formality of exercise if the end justified the means. So now, in middle-age, I have to figure out how to increase my physical activity without demeaning myself. I haven't figured out exactly what to do yet. Perhaps I'll put out a garden this year. I haven't done that in years because the produce is so cheap compared to the time and effort required to put out a respectable garden. I would of course do this without a rototiller. I also purchase my firewood for the year. I used to split my own by hand, then got a log splitter, then just started buying it. I don't even know if I could still split wood by hand. These are just some ideas I'm mulling around that would be acceptable to my admitted warped sensibilities.

I ate two bowls of brown rice/mixed vegetables (maybe 3 cups?) for breakfast, a 2 bananas and 10 baby carrots for a snacks, another two bowls of rice for lunch, and two bowls for dinner. I may have a low sodium V-8 before I go to bed. Tomorrow will be a oatmeal day. Hunger or cravings were pretty fierce that first 5 days or so, but have become manageable. I lost all my weight the first 10 days, nothing the last 8 days. I've dieted enough in my lifetime to know that this is how it goes sometimes. Seven days from now, I could lose 10 pound, maybe nothing.
That's all I really have to contribute for now and in retrospect I've blathered on enough. I would like to know how to get the ticker on the bottom of my posts, however. I'm pretty naive on how this internet thingy works, so if some would be so kind?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSs0DrN/]
[/url]
splat

Re: New to this board...

Postby splat » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:57 pm

Never mind about the ticker. I figured it out myself.
[/url]
splat

Postby Lilliane » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:56 pm

Welcome, glad you have joined. This is a great board for information and inspiration. I am also fairly new, and still have not figured out how to get that ticker symbol on my signature, so good for you!
Keep up the good work.
Lilliane
Lilliane

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:56 pm

You have a great beginning to the Star McDougaller story you could write when you get done. I got serious because of the threat of being put on cholesterol meds so I know the feeling. It's a good motivating factor.

For exercise you do have to do something you enjoy. I personally do like to walk when the weather is good. I'm in an office so love to get out and feel the air and see what is growing. I also do gardening. This winter, there has been no walking just snow removal. So the chores would really help. I like to feel like I'm getting something done off the 'to do' list.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby splat » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:13 pm

Thank you for replying Faith. I'm a grain farmer and excavation contractor by occupation. I'm usually reluctant to admit this on vegetarian-type boards because usually someone will have an ax to grind against modern agriculture and I end up spending a great deal of time defending my occupation. My occupation does illustrate that I don't consider myself sedentary. Modernization does mean that many tasks are now automated/mechanized that used to require brute labor. Bottom line is my activity level no longer offsets the diet of my youth. I tried wearing one of those pedometers but found I was already walking 10-12 thousand steps a day averaged over a week during the summer. Winter is usually the killer; a lot less walking and a lot more eating. Exercise for me has to be killing two birds with one stone. I just can't bring myself to exercise for it's own sake, at least not consistently.
[/url]
splat

Postby Kime » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:25 pm

If you're actually feeling hungry you should probably eat more or more often. If you are just craving the old ways, and not actually hungry, hopefully the cravings will get better soon. Mine did.

Maybe you would like to bake some potatoes and keep them on hand for snacks if you could find a topping you like that is allowed. I have a lentil dish that I like with baked potatoes. Or find some other highish carb snack on the MWL plan that you like.

You still have quite a bit of time so you shouldn't be too concerned about the blood pressure issue yet. Give the diet time to work.
Kime

Postby kirstykay » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:24 am

Splat,
Welcome! Dr. McDougall has some great articles on the website regarding his treatment of high blood pressure and reasons to avoid meds. Thought you'd like to check them out, if you haven't already, and maybe you can even print one to give to your doctor when you go in and show him how you've lowered yours with nutrition! You're doing great! Your numbers will continue to come down the more you work the plan! Good luck to you!

http://www.drmcdougall.com/res_blood_pressure.html

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hypertension.html

http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_hot_high ... ssure.html
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:59 am

I totally understand about the exercise. If I didn't like looking at what is growing and had someone walking with me I wouldn't do it. This winter I haven't been able to motivate myself to continue walking or do tapes or what ever. So I have to think up chores. Lately, Shoveling has been my exercise.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program