Anyone want a buddy to help stick to the program

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone want a buddy to help stick to the program

Postby minirunner » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:59 pm

I am a chronic binge eater and I really need a buddy to help me stay on track. I will binge and then the next couple of days I will cut my calories to try and make up for it. This all started when i was eating a Fuhrman style diet and kept bingeing on starches at night.

Anyway, it would be nice to work with another person who is struggling to stick to McDougall style eating so we can kind of support each other and stay in contact. If there is anyone else who wants a buddy for support please let me know.
http://www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com
minirunner

Re: Anyone want a buddy to help stick to the program

Postby Dechen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:30 pm

minirunner wrote:I am a chronic binge eater and I really need a buddy to help me stay on track. I will binge and then the next couple of days I will cut my calories to try and make up for it. This all started when i was eating a Fuhrman style diet and kept bingeing on starches at night.

Anyway, it would be nice to work with another person who is struggling to stick to McDougall style eating so we can kind of support each other and stay in contact. If there is anyone else who wants a buddy for support please let me know.

I am a chronic...something or other and I'd like to be your buddy :D
I have had eating disorders most of my life. But for the past 4 years I have been ok. I eat till it comes out of my ears and then I want to not eat at all...but I am sensible now :P

I am starting this on the 1st of Jan but I am right in there with you!
If you would like me to be, that is.

Perhaps starting a journal would be good. I have. There is a whole section where people have their journals.
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby minirunner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:00 pm

That would be great, I think starting a journal of eating would help immensely. I plan on starting MWL program on January 1st as well. I eat pretty close to that now but I have been making some low fat desserts and other things to take to parties so I think after the Holidays is perfect.

I also think it would be a good idea to PM weight loss or weight gain once a week or something like that too.
minirunner

Postby lfwfv » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Amazing how many of us on here have had disordered eating at some point. I honestly think a lot of people are 'compulsive eaters' in one way or another. Compulsive eating is eating for reasons other than physiological hunger. Eating to sooth emotions, for energy, for excitement, out of rebellion, out of fear, out of feelings of deprivation, because we're happy, or empty, or....

I think this diet can actually be a key factor in helping to stabilize someone with eating disorder tendencies...the foods are not chemically addicting (especially on MWL), they are nutrient-dense and satisfy true hunger, they don't give us the same drug-like high that processed/fake foods give us. I find I am usually in good control around food when I eat MWL. Even if i do overeat, or even binge, I have committed to sticking to MWL foods, so at least i don't do much damage...no sugar hangover, fat indigestion, malnourishment from not getting any nutrients etc.. I overeat on apples/bananas/grains/potatoes occasionally, but it's just not as destructive as bingeing on PopTarts.

Anyway, my disordered eating can manifest itself as both starving and stuffing depending on the day/time/issue etc.. I can relate to feelings of being out-of-control at times, and I would invite you PM me if you ever have a bad day and just need to 'talk' to someone who understands some of what you are experiencing. Food addictions, eating disorders etc....they're all the same in my mind. We are using food and food issues to deal with non-food issues.

A few quick things I've found helpful...Geneen Roth's work helped me find true hunger/fullness, journalling honestly every morning helps me not to stuff my feelings, exercise evens my mood and calms my crazies, eating MWL foods helps me to feel in control around food more often than not and satisfies my urge to eat large volumes of food sometimes, ridding my house of any foods that i routinely binge on (including foods that are technically 'legal' but are triggers for me).

Good luck!
lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby gradstudentmommy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:39 pm

I would definitely be interested in a buddy (or buddies!) system. I lost a lot of weight on the McDougall plan in 1993 but slowly gained it back due to chronic overeating. I did the MWL religiously for a month and was doing great but I got pregnant and haven't been able to get back on track since then.
gradstudentmommy

Postby minirunner » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:15 pm

I always do well on MWL for a short time and then I binge on sugar or cereal, they are my two trigger foods and I really struggle with them. I have been found in the cupboard pulling everything out to see if I can find one single chocolate chip that might have spilled out, yes it is that pathetic.

We can start a buddy group of those who need some help with binge eating, I think it would really help those of us who have some serious issues. I read some on overeaters anonymous and they say that you MUST have a food plan in place. What you are going to eat for each meal and snack and what times and you do not eat any more than that. I think that is an excellent idea. We can keep journals saying what we are going to eat, if we stuck to the plan and any positive things that happened like weight loss etc...

I need to be accountable, I have noticed that when I am stressed or bored I will proceed to eat every cereal in the pantry. I will start with just a little 1/3 cup thinking that will be harmless and then next thing I know I've eaten 1/3 cup of 4 different cereals.

Anyway, everyone who wants to do a buddy group let me know and we'll set up a thread or something.
minirunner

Postby Dechen » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:02 am

Well, I have just read through all the posts again and there is such a wealth of experience and compassion here that I think, even tough there are only 4 of us right now, we ought to team up and get started :-D

1) minnirunner
2) Dechen Loc: UK
3) lfwfv
4) gradstudentmommy

Since minnirunner started the thread I think she ought to have the first choice to ask someone to be her McD Buddy.
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby lfwfv » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:12 am

We could even treat this as a thread, and just have the topic be fairly all-inclusive, like 'compulsive eating' or 'emotional hunger' or....
lfwfv

Postby gradstudentmommy » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:46 am

Ugh, cereal. I also have a big problem with that if it has any sugar in it. The combination of wheat and sugar is what usually leads me to compulsively overeat, though I can overeat on any food, even carrots.

And I can relate to the chocolate chip story for sure. I have been known to take food out of the trash. I keep asking my husband to buy a lock-box to lock up his treats so I'm not tempted. I think he thinks I'm joking but I'm not. When he's at work and I'm home at night, those chocolate chip muffins call out to me and I end up eating them, despite my resolve to stay on my food plan.

I'm looking forward to having some support on this journey. It really helps.
gradstudentmommy

Postby minirunner » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:30 am

Okay, I set up a new thread called compulsive eaters for everyone. Please go over to that thread and we can figure out what we want to do from there.
minirunner

Postby jmgoforth » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:28 am

It is January 2nd and I find myself at the same horrible spot I was in last year and 30 January 2nds before that. Maybe I feel worse off because I have tried every thing under the sun except surgury. Yes, I have tried McDougall several times. Yes I lost weight.
But I find myself here time after time. I would do the 10 Day Program but I just don't have the money. So each year I try to do via CD'S or books.
What I have not figured out is why I stop? To be perfectly honest with my self I miss the taste of meat. We will be out and I will taste some meat and one bite leads to a 100 other bites.
I must consider the first bite leathal. I'm not asking for pity. I'm just struggling for recovery. I don't need some one comdemning me. I need a buddy with an out stretched hand. Chaplain Mike
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Postby Dechen » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:53 am

Well, I ma here if you want a buddy. I do not condemn. I have eaten plenty meat myself in my time and I know how it feels when you want that taste. But it is doable. I am here for you if you want my buddyship. Also have a look at Letha;she is an enormous inspiration.
Dechen

Postby jmgoforth » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:05 pm

I do really well with a buddy. Male or female does not matter to me. In the past I have done really well. Infact my son has been doing McDougall off and on for several years. He had a recent heath scare and returned to McDougall. That is what encouraged me.
I lost the weight several years ago. I fely great. I even enter 3 Marathons. Two were in Hawaii as I walked for the Leukemia Foundation.
One evening I had a horrible bike accident. My doctor said he did't know I was walking. I find it difficult to walk now. I can use a stationary bike.
In the process I stopped McDougall and stopped exewrcise and regained all the weight. I'm now 64 still a compulive eater. When I lost the weight I was going to Compulsive Eaters several nights a week and the McDougall. Our Compulsive Eaters closed down. Everyone went back to McDonalds.
The good news I have had a first great day. I have stayed on Course and planned supper already. If you are willing to buddy up with an old obese man with deep spiritual roots give me a ring.
I am a Chaplain for a Sheriff's Department. It is a high stress job. I go out with our SRT and also make Death Notification and I'm also over 7 jail chaplains. Crazy as it may sound I love my job.
Chaplain Mike-I'm also on FaceBook
Phi 4:[13 Whatever I have, wherever I am, I can make it through anything in the One who makes me who I am.
jmgoforth

Postby minirunner » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Mike- First I have to say, way to go on your first day! It felt like an accomplishment to me after all the Christmas desserts I ate to finally get back to McDougall style eating again. I would be happy to be your buddy as well. What an amazing job you have!
minirunner

Postby Dechen » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 am

jmgoforth I have sent you a message via facebook
Dechen

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program