The only McD in the family

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

The only McD in the family

Postby Dechen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:42 am

I am the only, well, will be the only McD in my family. Are there others who have to think around a family and the McD Eating Plan?
If so, I would like to hear from you. Is the plan ok for kids to follow?
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Re: The only McD in the family

Postby windycitychick » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:17 pm

I'm thinking of trying the Mary Mini Diet for myself and my family as a way to simplify our foods making potatoes (which everyone likes) and a variety of fresh and steamed veggies and fruits (at least one that each person will eat) at each meal. My hope is that they won't even notice that I'm feeding them a vegan diet!

Kate
windycitychick

Postby Letha.. » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:10 pm

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Reni » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:20 pm

This is my opinion...
It is extremely hard for me to cook McDougall friendly food for my family. More specifically it is hard for me to create food that they will actually EAT, since the cooking part is pretty easy. My daughter is extremely picky, and although she is willing to try most foods, her plate is usually only 1/3 empty after 'finishing' her dinner.

My daughter is 15 1/2 and underweight by about 10 pounds. I worry about her health constantly and will freely admit to letting her eat foods that are junk (vegan junk food) just to make sure she eats enough calories. Often, I will make separate meals for her. My husband has also lost about 15 pounds since I have been cooking McDougall style, making him underweight by about 10 pounds as well. Sometimes I make separate meals for him too. Yep, this means some nights I make THREE dinners. :\

That being said, we have not given up. I am constantly trying, perfecting and discovering new recipes for my family to experience. Also, I try to have staples on hand that the family will eat. My daughter loves plain rice and even though it is white rice, I always make sure there is some in the fridge.

Some of our tried and true favorites are:
- Tofu Fried Rice (from the McDougall Quick & Easy Book)
- No-Beef Stew with a LOT of adjustments from myvegancookbook.com
- Black Bean Burgers w/ mashed potatoes (we eat a LOT of mashed potatoes) I make thick homemade whole wheat pitas for the buns. :)
- Cauliflower Chowder, adapted to be Fat-free from Vegan Dad's blog
- Whole wheat pasta or brown rice pasta

Hope that helps. I'm trying to develop a cookbook of sorts for more omni-friendly/Mcdougall families, which I'm hoping to put on a public blog. The goal being to help families transition to the healthy eating habits of a McDougall lifestyle.

Sorry, I also wanted to add...
Don't be discouraged if you are the only one in the family who McDougall's. I did this for quite some time and it really isn't difficult. Make a huge batch of baked potatoes and eat the families' veggie side with your potato for dinner. :) For breakfast you can even have some plain Cheerios with fat-free rice milk and still feel like you fit in.

Plenty of ways for your eating not to cause you too much stress if you have to eat somewhat different than your family.

-Reni
Last edited by Reni on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reni

Postby Dechen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:25 pm

I am hoping the same Kate :nod:
And Letha ...thanks for all those recipes. :D
I am researching milk substitutes I can make at home.
I showed my hubby the Dr Klaper Foods that Kill videos and I think it set him thinking.

I don't wanna bother Dr McDoughall about this...my hubby was told by a friend that soya products are bad for men because soya contains plant oestrogen and will 'feminize' men. Is that true? I mean, I can't see it. Anybody know? Like I said, I don't wanna bother the Doc himself with it.

And thank you Rene. My daughter is 9 and a bit picky :\
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby Reni » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:29 pm

I make my own rice milk at home. It isn't hard, but I don't think the family likes to drink it or put it on their cereal. (they love refrigerated Rice Dream) I use the following recipe mostly for cooking. Here is the basic recipe, I think from RecipeZaar:

* 1 cup cooked rice (white or brown- I use white)
* 4 cups hot water
* 1 teaspoon vanilla ( I leave this out, but to make it taste more like commercial rice milk, I've added 1 packet Truvia-but the family still didn't use it even though I thought it tasted like Rice Dream)

Place all ingredients in blender and whirl for about 2-3 minutes. Let set for 30 minutes, then strain into a jar or pitcher. If you have a juicer, this works best as the results are creamier. VARIATION: Add 1/4 cup slivered almonds or cashews to blender. Make sure the rice is warm when preparing milk as cold rice does not turn out well for some reason.

I don't add nuts, as I don't want the added fat. Plus, I didn't really notice a huge difference in taste.
Reni

Postby Dechen » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:22 pm

That is great, THANKS!!! Erm...what is Truvia :?:
Dechen

Postby Reni » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:57 pm

Truvia is a sweetner made from the Stevia plant. :)
Reni

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program