newby .... need advice!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

newby .... need advice!

Postby lucymy22 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:15 pm

Hello! I started the mcdougall program for max weight loss one week ago, my concern is that I might not be eating enought calories. I know we are not suppose to be counting calories, I have been eating not more than 1800 even 1300 some days, I eat potatoes with veggies, lentils, diff canned veggies, brown rice ,I use some ketchup and soy sauce and I have been drinking coffee, I eat when ever I'm hungry like 4 times a day. Does the amount of calories matter? Should I cut out the coffee and ketchup and add more of other food to get the best results? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.. have an amazing day. :)

Lucy
LiFe Is GoOd! :)
lucymy22

Postby bunsofaluminum » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:20 pm

hi lucy and welcome

the question isn't how many cals, but are you feeling hungry after eating? A lot of people feel like they have to eat more volume at first. I did. It amazed me how much I was eating to get full. But now it's more normal looking plates of food.

calories do matter, when you're trying to lose weight. Your intake must be less than the output. But I wouldn't worry about the calorie count. If you are eating until you are satisfied, and it comes to 1200-1800 cals a day, you'll lose weight for sure. and be healthier, for sure. I haven't done a calorie count, but the last time I mentally calculated, I'm probably getting on the low end of the cals you mention...around 1200-1400 a day? I guess. I've lost 20 lbs in three months then stalled due to not being able to exercise...

But I'm betting that you will be thrilled at the other benefits, so the scale and calorie amounts don't mean nearly as much to you as the end of indigestion, the beginning of amazing energy, the cure of depression, the focused, calm, stability of your emotions...it feels REALLY good, even if the scale doesn't budge. :thumbsup:

have fun! click around these forums. :) good group of people.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Re: newby .... need advice!

Postby Faith in DC » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:15 pm

I'd keep going like you are doing and gradually work on the coffee and ketchup. Really the ketchup is in such small quantities that it shouldn't hurt, if you are using healthy ketchup. Is this for your potatoes? I use marinara sauce for that. I'm not a ketchup fan though.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Letha.. » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:35 pm

Hi Lucy,
Ketchup is allowed on the McDougall program. If you look at Dr. McDougall’s list of approved packaged foods, under the heading of BBQ Sauces & Ketchup we find this message.

“There are many Barbeque Sauces and Catsups available that are compatible with the McDougall diet. Please check labels carefully and choose those that are low in sugar & salt and avoid any with added oil.”

Dr. McDougall recommends that we avoid coffee. Here is a link to a newsletter on that topic.

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougal ... coffee.htm

Regarding calories, you said in a prior post that you’d like to lose some weight, so I’m not sure why you’d be concerned about getting too few calories. After you reach your goal weight, if you continue to lose weight you can adjust your menu so you are eating more calorie concentrated foods like bread to maintain your weight. But until then, if you’re satisfied on fewer calories, so much the better for achieving your weight loss goals. Best wishes.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:00 pm

Letha
That was from the MWL book? I'm at work so don't have it handy.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby AussieDavid » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi Lucy,

The most important thing to do is eat until satiety kicks in. No need to count calories on McD eating plan.

This, together with some physical exercise will help you to achieve your weight goals.

Best wishes
AussieDavid

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program