Dec. '09 Mary Mini, 4 those who need a bit more help

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby CarolynA » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm

Lindas,

I am keeping a journal on here too, and post every day with my menu from the day before.

Here is the link: http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14341

But as an example, today I had:

B - 1 cup leftover potato soup

L - plain baked potato, salad with about 1 T italian dressing

D - mashed potatoes, italian blend veggies, 1/2 cup butter beans (I was having a craving for them)

Snack: 1 orange

I have my 1 cup of coffee (or less) in the morning, and then have been drinking only water or hot tea. It has gotten cold here this week, and I have felt the need for warm drinks more.

Carolyn
CarolynA

Postby minirunner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:34 pm

I am on day 4, I was discouraged this morning, my body fat% is climbing like crazy and I look really 'puffy' all day I have been contemplating stopping early because I look so bad. I haven't lost any weight yet, my scale measures by the 10th of a pound so I would have expected to see the scale drop a little bit but it hasn't.

I haven't added salt to anything, I have been using salt free spike and salt free bensons seasoning. I hope this puffiness goes away soon, I may go back to my regular diet if I don't see some improvement. I hope everyone else is doing well.
http://www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com
minirunner

Postby Potatohead » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:42 am

I'm still on MM, had to go out of town for a few days, stayed on the program the whole time. went to Sam's and got some huge potatoes, will cook them up later :D
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby CarolynA » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:53 am

Day 5 on MM for me - still on plan, still doing okay. I couldn't force down a potato this morning though. Hubby is going to buy me some hash browns today, so that I can have those in the mornings. Other than that, things are good. I packed mashed potatoes and butter beans for lunch, but I forgot my fruit, so I guess I will just have it tonight.

It seems like quite a few people posting on this thread are feeling really down about things, and are not doing so well right now. Is there anything that we as a group can do to help motivate each other and be a better support system?

Carolyn
CarolynA

better late than never?

Postby eaufraiche703 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:40 am

hi, MMers

gotta give the mini another go in '09! last round, i dropped 6 pounds in 4 days.

are those of you who are struggling w/ this (haven't lost - or actually gained) starting your lunch and dinner w/ a big salad or cooked veggies? that might help things.... we don't want you to be discouraged!

Debbie mentioned succombing to a pizza jones - have any of you tried the potato pizza recipe?

as a career dieter ( sigh.) (but not a career McDougaller dieter, please note), it was my experience waaaaaaaaaay back in the day that my body would hold weight in spite of best dietary efforts, and then suddenly POOF! 5 pounds would vaporize overnight.

just hang in there! it will work for you!

sorry to be joinin' in late - this'll be day 1 for me - and i'll be carrying cold spuds in the pocket to some very interesting locales this weekend!
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby minirunner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:04 am

I'm feeling a bit better today, my weight dropped again, it's like a yo-yo. I think my problem is that I have been eating until I was very full, I cannot do that without gaining weight. I have to eat only until I am satisfied or I gain weight so I think I'm going to have to pay more attention to that. When I first gained this extra weight I was running 1 1/2 to 2 hours a day so the exercise thing hasn't been a problem, however I have cut back since then because the excess exercise prevents me from ovulating.

I have learned a few things since starting MM, these have been my AHA moments so hopefully they will help someone else.

1- You still have to watch the volume of food you are eating, you cannot just eat until you are very full or your weight loss will be slower. Eat until satisfied but you can't feel the food in your stomach.

2- Salt will cause water retention so it's best kept to a bare minimum.

3- I do tend to snack a lot, I have noticed that I need to 'Plan' my snacks and not snack at other times or the calories add up. Example: breakfast at 8am, snack 10:30am, Lunch at noon, snack at 3pm and dinner at 5:30 or 6.

4- NO eating after 7pm at all! You should not eat within 3 hours [at least] of bedtime. Go to bed on an empty stomach.

5- If I am really craving something sweet, I make an herbal tea with stevia and drink that.

6- If you are having a food craving for something non-MM, then figure out a way to make it MM legal. I was craving mexican food so I made a potato chalupa minus the guacamole of course.

Hopefully those recommendations will help someone else as well. If weight loss is slow add 30 minutes of exercise in the morning or the evening. Chins up and keep going :D
minirunner

Postby minirunner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:35 am

Debbie, Don't beat yourself up over it, we all have our moments of weakness. Just pick yourself up and keep going on MM. Hopefully you won't feel too ill today. We are all here to support you!! Hugs.
minirunner

Postby eaufraiche703 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:19 am

minirunner,

excellent adherence points!

'specially like the idea of fixing a mcdougall legal version of the crave. how'd you make that chalupa?

we need an "eat this; not that!"

:lol:
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby minirunner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:13 pm

To make the chalupa I baked potatoes, scooped out the center of the potato and put a mixture of salsa, fat free refried beans, the potato the I had scooped out, lettuce, tomatoes, onion, red bell pepper, corn and I did top it will a dollop of tofu sour cream. The tofu sour cream is just silken tofu, lemon juice, garlic powder and a dash of salt and pepper. I guess that might not be MM legal but it was GOOD!! That really satisfied my craving for mexican. You can leave off the tofu sour cream and it still is really good.

Mix the refried beans with the scooped out part of the potato and the salsa and heat. Then fill the potato and top with veggies.

I know you can also make pizza potatoes the same way with marinara sauce and veggies. That sounds really good to me. I have a cheese sauce recipe that is made with potato, onion and carrots with nuritional yeast and seasonings that is so yummy and you can put that on top of your mexican potatoes or pizza potatoes and that is really good too.
minirunner

Postby Della Street » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:26 pm

I'm back on MM after a few days of MWL. A couple of days ago I made a wonderful split pea soup which was nice for a change, but I miss the simple potato and steamed veggies, so I'm back. Also, since the scale hasn't budged in a week I was hoping a few more weeks of MM would remedy that.
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Postby eaufraiche703 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:39 pm

mmmm! minirunner, guess what's for dinner!

how bout a chinesey craving? anyone have an idea?
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby minirunner » Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:05 pm

What kind of chinese are you craving?

Take cauliflower and pulse it in a food processor until it resembles rice. Then put whatever chinese sauce you are craving on top of the 'rice' and then add a potato to it. You can make stir fried rice by stir frying the cauliflower rice in some veggie broth with a little nutritional yeast, garlic, soy sauce with some peas, carrots, onion and other veggies and then serve it all on top of a potato.

If you give me an idea of what chinese you are craving I can make a MM recipe up for you, I'm pretty handy at that :-D
minirunner

Postby eaufraiche703 » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:03 pm

you are very, very clever, minirunner!

what do you think about starting an 'eat this; not that' thread?
what would Scooby do?
eaufraiche703

Postby Potatohead » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:01 am

Morning..still on MM I'm cooking my potatoes as I write. jumped on the scale..down 6 lbs...
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby debable » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:56 am

WOW,Potatohead,6 pounds is amazing! Congrats. :D
Some people dream about success......Others wake up and work hard at
it.
debable

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program