Stevia?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Stevia?

Postby kimby98 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:39 pm

Does anyone know it stevia is an acceptable sweetner for my steel cut oats? I was just curious because it's supposed to be "natural" but I was just wondering what anyone else has heard or uses.

Thanks!!!
kimby98

Re: Stevia?

Postby Letha.. » Sun Nov 29, 2009 7:01 pm

kimby98 wrote:Does anyone know it stevia is an acceptable sweetner for my steel cut oats? I was just curious because it's supposed to be "natural" but I was just wondering what anyone else has heard or uses.

Thanks!!!

Hi Kimby98,
Dr. McDougall talks about Stevia in his November 2006 Newsletter article on Artificial sweeteners. Here is a brief quote.

Stevia—A Natural, Safe, and Powerful Sweetener

From the leaves of a perennial shrub found in Paraguay and Brazil comes a substance that is 200 to 300 times sweeter than table sugar. This stable sweetener is essentially calorie-free, time-tested, and non-toxic—and therefore may be the best choice if you must use a sugar-substitute. Stevia, and its pure white active ingredient, stevioside, are safe when used as a sweetener and no allergic reactions to it have been reported.”

You can read the whole article here.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/ ... teners.htm

Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby sunnystuf » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:02 pm

I have used stevia for 20 years. It is wonderful.

Stephanie
sunnystuf

Postby kimby98 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi Letha,

I just wanted to congratulate you on your success! You are an inspiration to people like me who are just getting started on the program. Great job on all your hard work!
kimby98

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program