Mary's mini and blood sugar??

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Mary's mini and blood sugar??

Postby Mr.44266 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:29 pm

Hello all, Im brand new and diabetic. Iwas wondering what Marys mini consisted of?
Mr.44266

Postby Randrews » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:05 pm

minirunner wrote:I do not technically have diabetes or insulin resistance but I do have PCOS which can be very susceptible to certain foods. I want to try Mary's mini but have been hesitant because I don't know if I want to use white potatoes and was wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a starch to use.

I have been trying to follow Dr. Fuhrmans diet and found that without enough starches I CANNOT meet my nutritional needs [I was using the crono-meter]. I tried a McDougall style diet and found I could easily meet my nutritional needs. Anyway, I have noticed that I have been having afternoon fatigue and dizziness when I eat sugars so I want to avoid anything that might aggravate blood sugar issues. Any suggestions for doing Mary's mini with these issues would be wonderful. Thank you.

Just thought I'd mention a great food for diabetics, I know the Mcdougallers don't believe in the glycemic index, but Chana dal beans have a very low index, much lower than any other starch type food. I have been eating them for a while but never tested them until they other day.
Two cups eaten by themselves gave me a blood sugar reading of 115 after 1 hour! This compares to 191 with brown rice. No one can tell me this isn't better for a diabetic!
Randrews

Postby minirunner » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Mary's mini entails selecting a starch: sweet potatoes, potatoes, brown rice. For 10 days that is the only starch you eat. You add vegetables and fruits to it for each meal.

Example:

Breakfast: Hasbrowns and a couple peices of fruit

Lunch: Baked potato and steamed veggies or a salad

Dinner: Mashed potatoes, steamed veggies and fruit salad

Hopefully that helps.
http://www.thepeacefulkitchen.blogspot.com
minirunner

Postby Mr.44266 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:22 pm

Thank you for the info, Im irish so I love potatoes
Mr.44266

Previous