'Zero' soft drinks - they've gotta be too good to be true

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

'Zero' soft drinks - they've gotta be too good to be true

Postby CherryPizza » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:18 pm

Here in Australia, we're currently going through a heat wave, and cold drinks are pretty much the order of the day.

Last night, going to the shop to get yet another bottle of cold water, the Coke Zero and Sprite Zero was sitting before me, trying to lure me into their evil circle.

I know that the drinks are sugar-free, and looking at the nutritional information on the side of them, they have all of 1.1 calorie per can. Therefore, it would be so easy for people in our situation to make excuses to indulge in these.

Since I am currently working about 15 hours away from home (where my copy of the McDougall MWLP book is), I could well be asking a very elementary question here, so I apologise in advance for that. Is there any information out there as to why these drinks would NOT be McDougall-friendly?
CherryPizza

Postby Potatohead » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am

Being a Newbie here, I can only answer by what I have read...its the chemicals and artifical sweetners in the soda, that dosn't make it McDougall friendly....but I will admit, I endulge in a coke zero from time to time...daily its probally not a good idea, but once in awhile should not hurt you.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Chumly » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:28 am

Seltzer water mixed with lemon, lime or orange juice is a healthy alternative to diet soda.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Clary » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:42 pm

Chumly wrote:Seltzer water mixed with lemon, lime or orange juice is a healthy alternative to diet soda.

Michael

I buy "Sam's Choice" brand "MIXER, Sodium Free Seltzer", at Wal-Mart.
Ingredients: NOTHING but Carbonated Water.
Sodium: 0mg Sugars: 0mg Calories: 0

I also buy the "Minute Maid" frozen 100% lemon juice to keep on hand (thawed) for when I want a fizzy drink and have no fresh lemons, limes, oranges, etc. on hand.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby LauraA » Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:34 am

Chumly wrote:Seltzer water mixed with lemon, lime or orange juice is a healthy alternative to diet soda.

Michael

I drink tons of sodium free club soda ( I have a soda club soda maker, so I make it) with a little bit of Pom juice. It is so good!
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program