Is this an acceptable meal?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is this an acceptable meal?

Postby kimby98 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:25 am

I know the book says chickpeas are an acceptable food, so would a whole wheat pita, with hummus, lettuce, tomato, and sprouts be an acceptable MWP meal?

Thanks everyone!
kimby98

Postby Letha.. » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:01 am

Hi Kimby98
Chickpeas, lettuce, tomatoes, & sprouts are good for both the regular McDougall plan and also the MWL plan.

Whole Wheat Pita is OK on the regular McDougall plan provided they have no oil in the ingredients. Dr. McDougall has Mr. Pita brand from the International Baking Co. on his list of acceptable packaged foods . Pitas are not considered to be MWL because flour products are not recommended for MWL.

Couple of things to look for on the hummus. Check the package ingredients for oil. No oil is allowed on any McDougall plan. If it has no oil it would be good for the regular program. In order to be acceptable for the MWL plan it would also need to be free from tahini, a common ingredient in hummus. Tahini is a paste made from ground sesame seeds. Seeds and seed butters are to be avoided on the MWL plan. Mary McDougall has recipes for humus with and without tahini. Here a couple of Mary’s hummus recipes without Tahini. :)

Hummus

Spicy Red Hummus

Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby LJ » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:00 am

Just an FYI, no oil pitas can commonly be found at Mideastern markets. My local one has a whole wheat, no oil pita. But as Letha pointed out, no flour products on the MWL. I follow the regular McDougall but sometimes go a week or two at MWL so I'm a regular at the local Mideaster market. I also make my own hummus with no oil, I use straight up sesame seeds instead of tahini. I follow a recipe for the vitamix blender. Also, another good option instead of hummus is Baba Ghanoush...made with eggplant. Very easy to make with no added oils.

"The food you put into your body is the single most powerful factor that determines your health and well being." Dr. John A. McDougall, MD
LJ

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program