pros and cons of rice cookers

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: pros and cons of rice cookers

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:54 pm

GABA cycle rice takes about 3 hours 15 minutes.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote:GABA cycle rice takes about 3 hours 15 minutes.

thanks! do you think the GABA cycle is worth it? Does it taste different?
Mine is fine for what I do, and fits in the closet. I don't know where I would put a bigger one! lol!

I used to do converted rice on the stove, but never tried brown rice...when boondocking I do it in the pressure cooker since the Zo won't work on generator or solar power. No big deal, we only do it a few times a year. And I have a box of brown rice that is parboiled so I can just use that for boondocking times!
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:31 pm

I think the GABA rice is a little different, but probably not much tastier than regular cooked brown rice.

I guess I was hoping for a sense of euphoria and well being after eating my first dish of GABA rice, and that didn't happen. :cool:

This appliance takes up counter space, that's just a fact. It's worth it, for me, because cooking rice on the stove I had boil-overs every time, no matter how big of a pan I used. This has, over the years, corroded one of my burners to the point where it can no longer be J.B.Weld-ed back into working condition the next time it breaks. :-( So, next purchase is a new stove! Woo hoo!
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:37 pm

lol...I think i will stay with my closet size Zojirushi and be happy! Having fun with the crockpots lately though!

my next quest is the tofuxpress...they are sold out right now so it will have to wait till I am somewhere 2 weeks since we will be traveling soon! I know i will use it..even be handy for frozen spinach.

Now if it will stop raining I will be much happier....ugh it's grey, stormy and wet out...got cabin fever! :D
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Yeah, if I were you I would stick with the smaller Zo. This big one is great, but I never use it full capacity and there are 4 of us. If I do a whole package of rice, 2 pounds, then I don't use the machine again for 3 or 4 days. I'd rather cook rice fresh for each meal. I could have got the smaller one too. Oh well.

Now, what's a tofuXpress? To make your own tofu? That's probably something I will pass on, I try to not use tofu much....
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Mrs. Doodlepunk wrote:
Now, what's a tofuXpress? To make your own tofu? That's probably something I will pass on, I try to not use tofu much....

http://tofuxpress.com/
I don't use tofu much but when I do I waste papertowels, try to drain it by adding cans on top...and we don't have any heavy cans.....this although pricey seems to solve the problem! They are sold out now anyway waiting for some parts....

I add tofu to soups, cook them up as tofu fingers which I love and I never use up a whole lb. so I figure it would make it easier and it's only 5" square! I can fit that!

Went to a presentation here today on one of those MLM things which I hate about StemTech....it's gonna fix whatever is wrong with ya according to them. I looked them up on MLM watch and there was plenty of stuff there....like if it regenerates growth of organs, what happens with the bad cells???? What a crock! Only 60.00 a month and you will be a new person! Only you need one bottle for stem cells and another for 60. for circulatory system....NOT! And people were signing up to become distributors! oy! :eek:
ncyg46

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program