pros and cons of rice cookers

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby MasserLMC » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:12 pm

I am so excited. My husband bought me a beautiful new rice cooker. It also functions as an electric pressure cooker. The brand name (DON'T LAUGH!) is CUKOO. It is the top leading brand in Korea. It is wonderful. :D
[/url]
lSmall Things With Great Love
MasserLMC

Postby Suebee » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 am

I have the smaller Zojirushi--it doesn't sing! I once tried the timer and nothing happened and so no rice was waiting for me. Don't know what I did wrong and never tried it again.
My husband lost the measuring cup for it and now I have to wing it. I think it was about 3/4 cup. Anybody know for sure?
I also tried an alternative grain or else maybe it was rice/millet and it spilled liquid all over the place! Have also no idea where I went wrong there.
Mine does not have the GABA setting. Oh well.
I guess I will experiment some more to use other grains. It would be so nice to have alternatives to rice.
Suebee

Re: pros and cons of rice cookers

Postby serenity » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:51 am

I took the plunge and bought the Zojirushi. Thanks Letha and everyone else for sharing your experience with it.

It's beautiful, although my boyfriend took one look at it and said, "What's that? A nuclear reactor?" (It's a good thing he's cute. :) )

I cooking my second batch right now. Love it.
serenity

Postby Letha.. » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:45 pm

serenity wrote:I took the plunge and bought the Zojirushi. Thanks Letha and everyone else for sharing your experience with it.

It's beautiful, although my boyfriend took one look at it and said, "What's that? A nuclear reactor?" (It's a good thing he's cute. :) )

I cooking my second batch right now. Love it.

Good for you Serenity. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Letha

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Suebee » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:46 pm

Hey, my husband was cleaning the garage and found the cup! Don't want to know what it was doing out there but I'm glad I'm not the one who lost it. It's more than 2/3 cup but less than 3/4. It's own metric I suppose.
Suebee

Postby Langeranger » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:56 pm

I've used an aluminum rice cooker for a eon that I bought from a Comet rice box order coupon. I typically make up a batch and then, leaving it in the lift-out aluminum vessel, keep it in the refrigerator for the several days it takes to eat all of it. Recently, I began to wonder, is storing it in the aluminum for that length of time a health hazard?
Langeranger

Re:

Postby Daffodil » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:18 am

Gramma Jackie wrote:I love having a rice cooker. We have always eaten a lot of rice. I have an Aroma rice cooker. It only cost $50.

The advantages are:

rice never overcooks or gets burned

mine has a light to show when its on and when its done

mine has a warming element that keeps it warmed even after its finished

rice is always perfect

also my rice cooker has a rack in the top that steams vegetables at the same time the rice is cooking

I'm so glad this is a great rice cooker,because my brother and sister in law sent us one for Christmas! :D
http://www.aroma-housewares.com/kitchen ... -1000.html
I've had it on my Amazon wish list since last summer when a bunch of people on here were raving about them. It's almost like they read my mind. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Rice is going to be my main starch all of next year. I haven't been having too much success with potatoes. I will be eating rice and veggies all year. Can't wait. :cool: :nod:
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Re:

Postby Daffodil » Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:23 am

MasserLMC wrote:I am so excited. My husband bought me a beautiful new rice cooker. It also functions as an electric pressure cooker. The brand name (DON'T LAUGH!) is CUKOO. It is the top leading brand in Korea. It is wonderful. :D

I'm sorry, but I laughed. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm all excited about our new rice cooker that I am in a much happier mood than earlier tonight when I had a run-in with a witch. But it started with a b. lol
-Amy in NV
-------------
Daffodil

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:31 am

anyone ever tried a Tiger brand rice cooker? I saw two in the Oriental Market and they are shaped like the Zojirushi and even have the brown rice germination cycle. I have a small Zojirushi but it doesn't have that cycle....?????
ncyg46

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:18 am

How does the price compare with the Zo? Not that I'm interested in another cooker, I love this one I have!

I've been making usually a whole package of rice at a time. That lasts us about 3 days, sometimes longer. I have gone for a whole week without using the Zo that way, but would rather have fresh cooked rice every day, I just don't like leaving it on warm because sometimes I need to leave the house.

On days when I'm home, though, I LOVE making a pot of congee with winter squash and eating it all day long when ever I'm in the mood! Thanks for that idea, Letha! 8)
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:59 am

lol...that's why I was asking...looks like a copy and one is 99., the other is 109 or 129, forget which....which is way cheaper than the Zo for that feature. It is beige. I just don't know how they compare. I love my Zo for rice but I have the smallest model and haven''t found many recipes I can do in it besides grains and rice since it is a 3 cup model...

http://www.veryasia.com/tiger-rice-cooker.html

have no idea what model number it was and none of these on the site say the "germination" feature but it did have that button.
ncyg46

Postby Anniriki » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:26 pm

I don't have a Tiger rice cooker but I have heard that they're good quality cookers. They're made in Japan rather then China like the Zojirushi. People who have them love them and wouldn't buy any other brand. When I do get a rice cooker, I think I'll get a Tiger. For some reason the rice I make on the stove just doesn't taste as good as the rice made in a rice cooker. Maybe I'll get lucky and the Tigers will go on sale in January. :nod:
Anni
Anniriki

Postby MasserLMC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:33 pm

I have seen the Tiger at the oriental market near here, but I've never used one. I love my "Cukoo" but they are super expensive. This one will have to last me forever.
Get set-go-everybody go cook rice!!!! :lol:
[/url]
lSmall Things With Great Love
MasserLMC

Country of manufacture

Postby SactoBob » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:57 pm

Zojirushi rice cookers are not all made in China. If anybody is interested in a model's country of manufacture, you could check here:
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/zojiru ... cture.aspx

If you google "tiger rice cooker made in china" you will see that a number of their cookers are also made in china.
SactoBob

Postby ncyg46 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:39 pm

was just wondering how important the GABA or germination feature is...and how much longer does it take to do brown rice? Mine already takes almost 2 hours to make in the Zo....
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program