List of MWL allowable foods?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

List of MWL allowable foods?

Postby Dgarr » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:12 pm

Is there a list somewhere on the board of the foods you are allowed to eat on MWL?
Dgarr

Postby Letha.. » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Hi Dgarr,
No, I don't think there is a list of foods to eat. But I can share the basic guidelines and then some additional tips.

Program outlined in the MWL book, page 60.

1. Eliminate All Animal Foods
2. Eliminate All Oils
3. Eliminate All High Fat Plant Foods: Nuts, Nut Butters, Seeds, Seed Butters, Avocados, Coconut, & Olives.
4. Eliminate All Flour Products
5. Eat Whole Grains and Potatoes
6. Eat Legumes
7. Make Green & Yellow Vegetables One-Half to One-Third of your meal
8. Eat Uncooked Foods
9. Restrict Fresh Fruit to No More Than Two Servings a Day, and Avoid Dried Fruit, Fruit Puree, and Fruit Juice
10. Use Simple Sugar Sparingly

-----------------------

Additional Tips from Letha. There are a million ways to eat on the McDougall plan just like there are a million ways to eat the Standard America Diet (SAD). This is a starch based plan so your meals should usually revolve around potatoes or whole grains like brown rice or oats. To this menu you can add a couple pieces of fruit, a cup of beans, and bunches of veggies, raw or cooked, fresh, frozen, canned, or dried. You can use some fat free rice/soy milk and you can season with herbs/spices, small amounts of sugar or salt, and small amounts of other fat free condiments like mustard, BBQ sauce, Tabasco, vegan Worchester sauce, etc.

This past year my favorite thing to eat is some kind of veggie/bean/lentil soup over brown rice. I also really like baked yams and I can eat them hot, warm, or cold. They make great snacks and there is no limit on snacking on this plan. I have a bunch of MWL recipes with photos and even a few sample menus on my food blog.

Hope that helps get you going. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

MWL Foods

Postby FaithLady09 » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:45 pm

Letha,

I read your reply to Dgarr and I wanted to ask if non fat soy is alright for my oatmeal? In my immediate area they do not sell fat free soy or rice milk. Also, I tend to eat more than a cup of beans will this get me in trouble? I love them and never really did until 2007 when I first joined McDougall. I don't want to hold up any weight loss by over doing anything.

Thank you in advance.

FaithLady09
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIpecy7/]
[/url]
FaithLady09

Re: MWL Foods

Postby Letha.. » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:26 pm

FaithLady09 wrote:Letha,

I read your reply to Dgarr and I wanted to ask if non fat soy is alright for my oatmeal? In my immediate area they do not sell fat free soy or rice milk. Also, I tend to eat more than a cup of beans will this get me in trouble? I love them and never really did until 2007 when I first joined McDougall. I don't want to hold up any weight loss by over doing anything.

Thank you in advance.

FaithLady09

Hi FaithLady09,

Here is a link to a great post from VeggieSue on the topic of how many beans where she lists the places McDougall has addressed this and also quotes him.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... ht=#119392

I’m not sure I completely understand your question about the soy milk. I thought non fat soy milk and fat free soy milk was the same thing. Are they different? In the MWL book there is a little bit of a contradiction. On page 190 of the paperback it gives a list of acceptable milk substitutes which include “Health Valley Foods Fat-Free Soy Moo”. But on page 11 of the same book we find this, “avoid the following: …Nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, and soybean products (including tofu, soy cheese, and soy milk). Soybean products are high in fat, unless they have been specially processed (low fat varieties are also not recommended).” On page 76 we find this, “Once you have reached your ideal weight and believe you have control, you may want to include richer foods, such as dried fruits, nuts, seeds, avocados, olives, and soybeans (tofu or soy milk).”

There are many many suggestions in the MWL book that help to facilitate weight loss. Suggestions for food choices, recommendations for exercise, for support and general attitude adjustment. The more of these suggestions we follow the better the results we are likely to get. If you are making satisfactory progress toward your health goals then I’d say a little soy milk on your cereal is fine. If you are not making the progress that you’d like, you might want to look at the various ways you can tighten up your program. Giving up the soy milk might be one of the things you choose to do.

Hope you are having a good evening.
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby VeggieSue » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:44 am

Many of us have said over the years that we wish Dr. McDougall would put out a re-edited version of his MWLP book because of these little discrepancies. Not just the soy milk but that couscous error both come to mind, as well as putting in writing once and for all that Ezekial bread is not allowed because the grains are still processed after sprouting.

If the Atkins people and Dr. Barnard can put out a new book every few years and they become best-sellers, why not Dr. McDougall?

While we're waiting, an up dated Approved Foods list for MWLP on the web site along the regular plan's list would be nice. :)
VeggieSue

re: MCD allowable foods?

Postby janluvs2heel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:21 am

I am just responding to the non-fat or fat free soy milk. I can't find it anywhere I live either, so I use rice milk. It really doesnt have much of a taste when I use it on oatmeal. Right now I am doing Marys Mini so I am not eating oatmeal or using the rice milk but when I go back to MWL, I wil buy the rice milk.

I wonder if the fat free soy milk has oil added to it, like many fat free products? Since I can't find it I cant read the label.

I would love a new revised edition of MWL as well.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Re: List of MWL allowable foods?

Postby euromixer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:42 pm

Please help me understand.. what is MWL?
euromixer

Postby debable » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:40 pm

The McDougal Program for Maximum Weight Loss. A book written by Dr. John McDougall .
Some people dream about success......Others wake up and work hard at
it.
debable

Postby Dechen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:51 am

I live in the UK and I can't seem to get hold of corn syrup. What is a good substitute?
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby dlb » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:42 am

The fat free soy milks that I have come across here all contain isolated soy proteins which Dr. McDougall recommends that we stay away from. So check the label carefully.

If having a little soymilk on your cereal helps you stay on plan, then I would go ahead and have it also. The amount used probably will not make a big difference in any weight loss. I use approximately 2 ounces on my cereal. This equates to about 1.125g of fat.

On my average intake of 1400 calories a day (which I don't count on a daily basis but have spot checked) it adds about about .08%. Still easy enough to stay within the 5 to 7% range of MWL.

I would be more concerned that the cereal is a whole grain than with the soymilk.

Donna
To read how the McDougall Program helped me reach my goals, go here:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/donna_byrnes.html
dlb

Postby debable » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:58 am

Dechen, Do they have Karo there? That is corn syrup.
Some people dream about success......Others wake up and work hard at
it.
debable

Postby Dechen » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:07 am

Thanks deb. I do not know but I will go on a hunt :D
https://mostlyfatfreemcdougall.wordpress.com/
Dechen

Location: Ashton-in-Makerfield, Wigan (halfway between Liverpool and Manchester) Lancashire, UK

Postby Potatohead » Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:22 am

Dechen wrote:Thanks deb. I do not know but I will go on a hunt :D

I did a google serch...look for Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup in England...it is corn syrup
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program