15 day Mary's mini--Nov.1-Nov. 15

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby desertwind56 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:43 pm

This is my second day of Mary's mini. :D Mmmm, hash-browns.

I also made potato salad yesterday. We are going to take a walk along the river today, instead of our normal walk. :D So that will be a nice tasty snack to take with us.

Connie
desertwind56

Postby Della Street » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Checking in on Day 19 today. Another good day and I'm looking forward to my mashed potato and veggie dinner shortly. Then I'm going to snuggle into my easy chair and watch an old Doris Day movie tonight. :-D
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Postby sksamboots » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:34 am

I wasn't on MM today either. Hope everyone had a good day :-D
sksamboots

Postby desertwind56 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:58 am

On my 4th day of Mary's mini. Mmm, hash-browns for breakfast.
desertwind56

Postby Della Street » Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:02 pm

I never had a chance to report in yesterday because I was out all day and didn't get home until late. Today is Day 21 for me. Still going strong.
Della Street
Della Street

Postby CraftyeLadye » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 am

Today is day 22 and I am still going strong. My blood sugars are now in the 97-119 range before and after meals. I am walking a mile 5 of 7 days and want to increase to 7 days for that until I am able to bump it up to a mile and a half. I feel better, my skin is looking great (I had no acne, just a sick color) and my clothes are a little looser. I guess these pants were tighter than I thought :-P. I intend to stick with MM all the way through Thanksgiving and will have mashed potatoes and brussel sprouts for dinner that day.
Lisa
CraftyeLadye

Postby Della Street » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:04 pm

Today is Day 22 for me. I feel very full today. Must be because I ate larger portions of veggies and an extra potato or two. All very legal, though. :)
Della Street
Della Street

Postby desertwind56 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:23 pm

I'm on my fifth day. Two more days. I'm thinking about the McDougall legal Thanksgiving yummies I'm going to eat. :D I have it easy this year. It's just me and hubby, so no tempting rich food.

Connie
desertwind56

Postby Potatohead » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:01 pm

I've been doing this for a few days now, I eat about 8 potatoes a day along with my greenbeans and a banana....so far so good...I love the simplicity of this.
"IT'S THE FOOD"....John McDougall MD
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby Potatohead » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:40 pm

Deb, Yes, I'm planning on doing this until January..maybe longer
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

gaining weight on potatoes

Postby sanlee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:15 am

I've been doing the potatoes version of MM for 11 days and I've gained 4 pounds (168 to 172) with no other changes.

I also cook about 8-9 big potatoes (about a pound each) each day, generally eat them chunky mashed with a little water. I've been getting hungry about every 2.5 to 3 hours. I add low-calorie veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, green peppers, that sort of thing) and 2 fruits (1 banana and 1 orange) most days, but not every day.

Why am I gaining??? I've kept at it in hopes things will turn around but I'm beginning to think that's a fool's errand -- you know, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

It's so discouraging. Anybody else experiencing this -- any thoughts?

TIA
sanlee

Re: gaining weight on potatoes

Postby Potatohead » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:09 am

sanlee wrote:I've been doing the potatoes version of MM for 11 days and I've gained 4 pounds (168 to 172) with no other changes.

I also cook about 8-9 big potatoes (about a pound each) each day, generally eat them chunky mashed with a little water. I've been getting hungry about every 2.5 to 3 hours. I add low-calorie veggies (cauliflower, broccoli, green peppers, that sort of thing) and 2 fruits (1 banana and 1 orange) most days, but not every day.

Why am I gaining??? I've kept at it in hopes things will turn around but I'm beginning to think that's a fool's errand -- you know, doing the same thing and expecting a different result.

It's so discouraging. Anybody else experiencing this -- any thoughts?

TIA

my potatoes are no where near a pound each, they are between 6 to 8 oz each...I think your problem is your potatoes are too big, or you are eating too many...if an 8oz potato is 100 calories... you are taking in 1600 calories on potatoes alone if you eat 8 of them, plus the fruits and veggies. I know we don't count calories, but the average weight loss plan is 1200 to 1500 calories a day...that could be your problem....try eating fewer of them, or buy smaller potatoes...I roast my potatoes in the morning, and eat them throughout the day when I'm hungry...when I eat mashed potatoes, they don't fill me up as much as a whole baked potato does...I'm just giving suggestions here, like I said we don't count calories, but all in all, I think it plays a part in weight loss, especially if your not very active, or don't have a huge amount of weight to lose.
~Potato Freak~
Potatohead

Postby sanlee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:17 am

Thanks for answering.

I meant to say that I cook that many potatoes every other day -- how embarrassing! I figured the total calories, including the veggies and fruit to be about 1400-1500, depending on whether I had both fruits.

That amount is under my maintenance calories at goal weight. So that means I *should* be losing -- slowly, maybe -- but losing.

Yet, instead, I'm gaining :-(
sanlee

Postby sanlee » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:48 pm

Thanks, Debbie. I did correct that the 8-9 large taters are for 2 days :-)

I've read and reread the material several times -- I have all of the McD books -- even the more "obscure" ones -- and have printed out the MM articles.

Like you said, everything indicates that calories shouldn't matter on a starch-based plan, even if I did eat all the potatoes in one day, which is why I'm so discouraged that I'm gaining on calories fewer than my maintenance weight.

I'm trying to stay focused on the health benefits of eating this way, but it's so hard to do while going up another size in clothes.
sanlee

Postby sanlee » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:41 am

Thanks, Debbie -- I may post my situation in another part of the forum to see if anyone else has gone through this.

I'm going too allow a feast day today -- maybe that will shake things up!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.
sanlee

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program