Nov 09 MWL Anniversary! ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nov 09 MWL Anniversary! ON PLAN, PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!

Postby LauraA » Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:53 pm

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO US! OUR GROUP IS ONE YEAR OLD TODAY!!

I'm so proud of all of us for keeping this great group going. Our group has lost over 1500 pounds! WOW!! I'd really like for us to celebrate. For those who want to, please write a post telling about your journey so far with this group. It doesn't matter if you've just joined us, or if you've been here all year, or if you've come and gone. Tell us if you are healthier, have lost weight, have had improved blood work.. whatever! You could also post "before" and "now" pictures if you want to. I'll write my post in the morning. It is now almost 11PM here in Seattle, and I leave for the east coast at 6AM. Thank goodness for that extra hour tonight, I'll need it!! I hope that by the time I get to New York there will be lots of great posts to read. Take care, and Happy Anniversary!!
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Veganrocks » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:17 am

I'm still here, and still on plan!!! I really appreciate this support group, even if I don't post much! Thanks to all!
Veg since 1977.
Veganrocks

Postby Starchyme » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:48 am

Congratulations to all us losers! We're awesome!

Count me in for November!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Postby Letha.. » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:10 am

Happy 1 Year Anniversary the MWL Group.

As we begin our second year of this series of monthly threads I want to start by thanking LauraA for getting them going and keeping them going and Mairead11 for rolling up our weekly and monthly statistics. I think these threads are a great example of synergy and they represent some of the best that the internet has to offer. When I say synergy I’m talking about how sometimes individuals working together can create an energy that is greater than the sum of their individual contributions. Where 1+1+1= 5. It’s kind of magical. It’s amazing how friendly and supportive the group has remained and to have a group report losing 1,452.05 pounds in the first 10 months of 2009 is just phenomenal. I love how inclusive the group has been; welcoming people who are following MWL, the regular plan and Mary’s mini and those folks going back and forth between plans. I also love how people have come and gone and come back again but we’ve always had enough people to keep the energy high.

I can’t swear to it, but I believe I’ve posted in these threads dang near every single day this past year. I went through a rough patch with some health problems from May to July and I wasn’t posting much at all. But sick as I was I still managed to check in with this group every day and knowing you guys were there, rooting for me, always helped to lift my spirits. Thank you to everyone who has supported me here and in my journal on this forum.

Not only have I lost 167 pounds in the past 13 months but I’ve also gotten nearly 100% relief from my acid reflux. I’ve gotten significant relief from my IBS and from knee pain. I’m now able to walk around my house without getting winded. Now that I’m more comfortable walking in the house without my cane, sometimes I use it and sometimes I don’t. The problem with this is that now I’m forgetting my cane all over the house. I just can’t keep track of the silly thing. I consider this a very good sign. I’m having a much easier time getting up and down steps, getting out of chairs, and picking stuff up off of the floor. I still have a long ways to go but another wonderful gift of the McDougall program is the hope it’s given to me. The future is so bright I gotta wear shades. :)
Letha

P.S. I’m on plan and planning to stay that way.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Della Street » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:42 am

Two months ago I started following mainly the MWL program with only a few deviations. I weighed in then at 169 lbs and now, 2 months later, I am 159 lbs. Slow progress, but progress nonetheless. I’m better off now than I was a couple of months ago.

I feel so much better, have tons of energy and best of all, I seem to have lost my craving for chocolate. (Hubby wholesales British chocolates so that has been a source of temptation and weak spot for me). By being very strict with myself and not allowing myself to give in to temptation and eating only whole, unprocessed foods, I’ve lost my desire for chocolate. I noticed this around the week 6. I hope this change is permanent and that I won’t be drawn back to chocolate. It almost seems to be too good to be true.

My plan for the next two weeks is to follow Mary’s Mini Diet. My starch of choice is the potato. I had mashed spuds for breakfast. Lunch and dinner are simmering in the crock pot right now (diced potatoes, shredded cabbage and thinly sliced carrots). When I’m ready to eat, I will sprinkle a bit of nutritional yeast, some Cajun spice and soy sauce on top. This is pretty much what I will be doing for the next couple of weeks with a fruit or two as a snack.

I have to say I was inspired to start this simple meal plan for the next while thanks to Letha.

My long range goal weight is 115 lbs. My current goal is to kiss another 15 lbs good-bye by the end of this year. That would put me at 144 lbs. I am determined.
Della Street
http://cotton-picker.blogspot.com
http://cottonpickercooking.blogspot.com
Della Street

Postby Starchyme » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:16 am

Let's all cheer for Letha!!!! Way to go! Such great stats. :-D We'll be waiting anxiously to see your Star McDougall article soon.
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

Congratulations group members

Postby Yomom » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 pm

Congratulations to members of this group for your fabulous weight loss over the past year. I am glad to have joined last month and thank you for the welcome and support. I have been on-plan since July and have lost 24 lbs. My knees no longer ache when I stand up or walk up stairs. I have been able to drop 1 of 3 BP meds. Changing bedlinens and vacuuming are no longer major challenges. I am calmer (due to no caffeine) and therefore better able to plan for success. I have gone from tight Size 16 to loose Size 14 clothes, and may have already outgrown my winter coat. I will soon need to replace undergarments which are too loose. My ultimate goal is BMI of 22, and (unlike my McD stint in 2006) I feel optimistic enough about reaching it, that I am getting rid of outgrown clothes. Let's raise a glass of water to toast our healthier bodies!
K
Yomom

Re: Congratulations group members

Postby Starchyme » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:26 pm

Yomom wrote:Let's raise a glass of water to toast our healthier bodies!
K

Great news from you, Yomom.

I'm joining your toast with a glass of lemon water in my hand!
Happy McDougalling!
Starchyme

On Plan......

Postby vegan1mimi » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:29 pm

I really enjoy coming to the board and talkin with you all. You have been supportive in so many ways, to everyone that posts. This has been such an encouragement to me!! This has helped me stay accountable and on plan YOU ALL ARE FABULOUS ;)

TTFN
Vegan1Mimi
vegan1mimi

Postby amyla51 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Here's to all of us and the start of a new month! We are really going to need each other now, as we start into the most perilous time of year, eating wise. We CAN do it together!
I have only been seriously McDougalling for a month, but have already seen great results. I am down 18 pounds, my blood sugar has dropped 30 points, and I am happier! I am starting to look in the mirror and like what I see. Also, my brain seems less fuzzy. Has that happened to you? I am really excited about that. i feel like the cloud over my brain is getting thinner too.
I like to have incentives, so I bought myself a little silver charm bracelet, with a charm for every 5 pounds lost (until I get to 200, then a charm for every 10 pounds--otherwise I'd go broke). Anyway, the first charm I bought is a little turtle, as homage to Letha. When I look at it, I am constantly inspired by her mantra: slow and steady wins the race.
Yeah to all of us.

Laura suggested continuing to post our weekly totals as we have been, and then starting a new year-long list in January. That sounds good to me.
So, we'll check in Thursday, for the start of our new month.

Amy :)

P.S. If we lost collectively over 1,00 pounds, where did it go??? :wink:
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby rebecca » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I've known about Dr. McDougall since I was 19.I didn't need to lose weight but my mom had breast cancer. I did research and found Dr.McDougall eating plan to be the best anti-cancer diet. After the birth of my son, I became a yo-yo dieter for 10 years. Now I am 38 and I'm finally getting it right. A lot of what has kept me on plan is coming here. Thanks for being such a wealth of support.
I'm on plan and planning to stay that way! :-D
rebecca

Well, I think I'm going to go for it...

Postby bunsofaluminum » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Hey

This one year anniversary seems like a good time for me to commit to MWL for November. Since I'm already eating the MWL food about 95% of the time, and I've found many recipes that I can woop together easily and have been McDougalling for a couple of months without wavering...

I think I'll get on board! :)
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby LauraA » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:01 pm

LET'S FINISH STRONG-
THERE ARE 61 DAYS LEFT IN 2009!

Well, today is almost over, but when it started there were 61 days left in the year! That is counting each day, so when Dec 31 comes, there will be one day left, not none! I flew from Seattle to NY today, and arrived to spend the late afternoon/evening with another wonderful grandchild and my daughter and her husband. Tomorrow I have lots more relatives arriving! It is great fun.

Now, about our anniversary! Isn't it wonderful! Letha, I love the picture that you posted, and the review of how wonderful this program and our group have been for you - for all of us. Thank you, Letha, for being the heart (and brains!) of our group. You inspire us not so much because of the amount of weight that you have lost, but because of your great knowledge of the program, and your willingness to quickly answer questions, find quotes, and give wonderful support.

I also want to mention what this group and this program have meant to me. I feel wonderful, and am so happy to feel so healthy all of the time. A year ago, I had aching knees, borderline hypertension, and was often overeating. I now have lost 50 pounds (it may be 52 in 52 weeks, but I'm not sure because I'm away from my scale). I travel about half of the time, so my compliance with MWL comes and goes a bit, but I'm still happy to have done as well as I have done while often away from home.

I appreciate everyone on this board. I love how positive we have all been with each other, and how supportive we all are. I also appreciate the fact that we have kept this going. I remember almost a year ago, when I thought that soon Letha and I would be the only ones here! Thanks to everyone. I couldn't have done it without the support and friendship. I always have our group in mind. I'll be in a restaurant, and I'll think to myself, "I ordered well, I can't wait to tell the group!" Or, I'll be overeating, or not eating on plan, and I'll know that once I post about it, I'll get help here.

Please be sure to post something about yourselves and the group. Welcome to November. Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Postby Sel » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:33 am

Hi everyone,
Count me in for November! :)
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/woJWLI2/weight.png[/img]
Sel

Re: Well, I think I'm going to go for it...

Postby LauraA » Mon Nov 02, 2009 6:51 am

bunsofaluminum wrote:Hey

This one year anniversary seems like a good time for me to commit to MWL for November. Since I'm already eating the MWL food about 95% of the time, and I've found many recipes that I can woop together easily and have been McDougalling for a couple of months without wavering...

I think I'll get on board! :)

Great! We need your positive attitude! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

Letha
LauraA

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program