10 Day Mary's Mini

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Silvafox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:25 am

KristyKay! Good for you! I let it slip my mind that you started late "with me"! I'll stick to it for three more days so you have some company!

I have oatmeal cooking already for thie AM so I think I'll stick with grains for the rest of the day...I have brown rice, kale and brocolli and red peppers (on sale this week).

Have a great day.

Debra
Silvafox

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:19 am

Silvafox,
Thanks! I was beginning to feel a little lonely here! :lol: I'm glad to have someone to finish up with! Your grains sound good. I'm going to stick with the potatoes and veggies with apples/bananas for snacks.

I made a great potato corn chowder for dinner last night that my family loved. I got it from the PCRM website. Thanks Deb!! That's a great site to compliment this one. I'm learning soooo much!

Deb-I was afraid to order the hashbrowns for the exact reason that Sactobob mentioned. I've worked in restaurants, and I know what it's like in the kitchen. I didn't trust them to make them MM friendly, so I just avoided the whole thing. I suppose I could have just ordered the fruit plate and avoided anything questionable, but the oatmeal tasted like it was just made with water, so I think that was a good choice for me this time. I agree that avoiding restaurants is the best bet for me right now! At least for a while.
"Remember, It's the food." ~Dr. McDougall

kirstykay

Postby Silvafox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:26 am

I put pumpkin with my oatmeal this AM and some pumpkin pie spice. Man, it was SO good!

Debra

PS We stay at an inn once a summer where the oatmeal is made with CREAM! I always have to make sure they make me a fresh batch. Can you believe it?
Silvafox

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:53 am

Silvafox wrote:I put pumpkin with my oatmeal this AM and some pumpkin pie spice. Man, it was SO good!

That sounds SO yummy! I'll have to try that when I'm done with the potato thing. I lost 2 more pounds over the weekend, which is huge for me because when I'm dieting I go into "weekend mode" and never stick to anything 100%. This weekend, I just kept on MM, and lost 2 pounds!!! I'm thrilled.

I've decided to keep on MM until I'm down to 235. That's a total of 20 pounds for me and a milestone weight...it was a weight I swore I'd never go over, and then found myself 20 pounds higher!! :mad:

So, I don't know how long that will take, but at the rate I'm losing, hopefully not too long. I won't weigh now until my trainer weighs and measures me on Friday. Don't know if you want to keep with me that long, or should I/we hop over to Deb's 15-day?

Kirsty

kirstykay

Postby Silvafox » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:02 pm

TWO POUNDS!! That's so great!

I won't weigh until tomorrow morning, after I work out.

My top weight was 245 but that was quite a while ago now. I'm down almost 100 since those days but I still remember getting under 200 and how "human" I felt...what a weird concept that being over a certain weight put me into some other species catagory.

If you are going to go the next 15 days, you'll probably get a LOT of encouragement and feedback from Debbie's new post. There will be a number of "us" over there encouraging her and probably MM-ing along with her. It will also save you from posting twice. I'll look for you there.

The pumpkin oatmeal was great, but I missed my potatoes!

I'll watch for your over there.

Debra
Silvafox

Postby kirstykay » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:12 pm

Silvafox wrote:My top weight was 245 but that was quite a while ago now. I'm down almost 100 since those days but I still remember getting under 200 and how "human" I felt...

Wow! You've lost 100 pounds already! It's so inspiring to me to actually get to know people who have done what I've only dreamed of. How long did it take you? Was it all from McD? You said it was a while ago, when was it? I hope you don't mind my questions, I just love success stories. I hope to be one of them someday!

kirstykay

Postby Silvafox » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:07 pm

Hi, Kristykay,

My weightloss story is pretty long. I've been learning about food/nutrition/exercise for about 35 years. (on my own, not professionally...darn)

After my 6th baby I weighed 245. I was sure that after she was born I'd just lose a ton of weight, but after a couple of weeks I got on the scale and that was what I weighed.

I started reading a lot about healthy ways to lose weight. I never was a yo-yo dieter...I gained weight after my first baby and pretty much kept it on until after the 6th.

After some research I discovered the American Natural Hygiene Society. They were raw food vegetarians and I jumped in with both feet and lost about 125 pounds. Through their group I met Dr. Campbell, and a number of the other doctors that come up in conversations on the boards here. I also learned about the McDougall plan.

This was all about 20 years ago. I stuck with raw food for three years, my husband left, partly becuase he couldn't deal with me being thin. (His mother, sister and sister in law and all his aunts were in the 200-300 pound catagory) He left the country and I still had three children to raise and no real marketable skills and eventually went back to cooked foods but stayed vegetarian. I used a lot of McDougall recipes.

After about 16 years I married a wonderful, thin, healthy, strong carnivore who eats the SAD, but in a very discinplined way and he works out faithfully every day.If you looked at the two of us you'd be sure HE was the vegan. Slowly I slipped back into eating some of "his" food. Slowly I put on 50 pounds. (ouch)

Last March I was talking to a doctor about a sore ankle and in the conversation mentioned my weight gain. He said "read the China Study". I bought a copy on my way home, read it that evening, dug out all of my McDougall books and that brings me to where I am today...15 pounds from goal.

I hope this encourages you. I find that food is such a day to day thing. I am still learning. As I read about other people on the boards it seems they really have the Program down pat and seldom stray. For me it's a daily challenge still. Certian things I don't care about (coffee, oil, meat, cheese) Other things (cocoa powder, avocados, dates or a handfull of nuts) are a constant part of the process.

Keep up the good work...stay in touch if it helps.

Debra
Silvafox

Thanks

Postby kirstykay » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:33 pm

Debra,
Thanks for sharing your story. It does help me to hear what other people have been through and how they've coped/conquered. I have struggled with my weight for such a long time, but I've never given up hope that I could someday tackle it. That day appears to be here, and I'm doing great! But there is a constant voice in the back of my head that says' "yeah, sure, for now you're doing well, but just wait until you fail at this like you've failed every other time." My constant battle is to quiet that voice. Every time I make a good choice that honors my health, it gets quieter and I believe a little more. I hope that someday, I can just laugh when I hear it, or not hear it at all.
These boards are so extremely helpful in making that voice take a back seat...especially when I hear success stories like yours! Good luck with the last 15 pounds! You must be so happy to be so close!
Kirsty

kirstykay

Postby ef78 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi. I read all the threads, and I would like to know where I can find info on the kickstart and marys mini? I don't know what they are, but I want to try them! If you could send me to a link or even explain, that would be awesome! And I need a weightloss ticker... lol.

E.
ef78

Postby sksamboots » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:41 pm

sksamboots

Welcome!

Postby kirstykay » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:22 pm

ef78 wrote:Hi. I read all the threads, and I would like to know where I can find info on the kickstart and marys mini? I don't know what they are, but I want to try them! If you could send me to a link or even explain, that would be awesome! And I need a weightloss ticker... lol.

E.

You can get a ticker at www.TickerFactor.com Follow the instructions there and then paste it in your profile as your signature. Then you might want to post on the 15 day MM because this 10 day is pretty much done. See you there!
Kirsty

kirstykay

Postby janluvs2heel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:42 pm

ef78-

If you go into the Lounge, you will see forum tips & tricks, posted by Letha. That should answer a lot of questions for you as well.

Yes, check into the 15 day Mary's Mini, this one ended last Sunday.

Welcome.
Jan
janluvs2heel

Previous

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program