brown rice congee for mary's mini/MWL

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

brown rice congee for mary's mini/MWL

Postby chewy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:44 pm

i am making brown rice congee today .i will put chopped green onions in it and then eat it with my salads and steamed vegetables.i can't wait until it is ready to try.
chewy

Postby chewy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:54 pm

well, i just found it on the internet via the rice diet of central florida and it's info on rice congee for their patients.the recipe seems to be:
1 cup of brown rice and 4 cups of water.boil and then simmer on low for 3 hours or so.then add your vegetables or i guess you could make a fruit congee too.it is a therapeutic food.let me know how you like it!
chewy

Postby Letha.. » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:07 pm

I've made it with sweet potato too and I liked it. Here's a photo and recipe.

http://mwlfood.wordpress.com/2009/04/01 ... et-potato/

Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby chewy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:12 pm

thanks letha!it looks delicious.your website is so great for us mcdougaller MWLers!
chewy

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Letha, didn't you make yours in your rice cooker?
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Letha.. » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:00 pm

Debbie, Congee is basically just rice porridge that is widely eating around the world and served with all kinds of veggies, fish, & meat. You use way more water and cook it way longer then you usually do with rice.

Mrs. Doodlepunk, The recipe I linked to was brown rice congee that I made on the stove. I have also made white rice congee in my Zojirushi rice cooker. The automatic porridge setting is programmed for white rice not brown. But I did read somewhere that you could run the program twice for a brown rice congee. But then you also have to let it cool down a bit after the first run because it won’t start a new cycle if the pot is too hot. I haven’t tried that yet. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby MaryW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:19 pm

I made a porridge in my crock pot overnight inspired by cherry pie oats. I can't eat oats, so I used barley. I put one cup of barley and a bag of frozen cherries in the crock pot with 6 cups of water and cooked it on low for about 8 hours. It was great! I added a dash of salt and a spoon of brown sugar when I ate it. I was wondering what else to add to the barley when I cook it, since I'm out of cherries. Sweet potatoes are a great idea!
MaryW

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Mary, sweet potatoes would be great. You could put in cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice if you like that. Apples go with sweet potatoes well too.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby MaryW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:39 pm

That's a great idea! I think I'll put apples and sweet potatoes in my barley tonight. Can't wait til breakfast tomorrow! :-D
MaryW

Postby Janja » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Mary, I can't wait to hear how yours turn out. I'm not sure I'm doing this exactly right, but because of your posts, I'm trying the same thing. I have a cup of barley, 6 cups of water, and a chopped, peeled sweet potato in my crockpot right now, ready to be cooked on low overnight. Is this how you are doing it?
Janja

Postby MasserLMC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:08 am

Congee is a rice soup or porridge widely eaten in southern China for breakfast or as a snack. You will probably need a lot more then 4 cps. water or broth if you are using 1 cp. rice. It should be very soft & soupy. Some nice additions are scallions & any kind of mushroom. Cook the rice for a long time until it is very soft. Some soy sauce adds more flavor.

Manmanchi (bon appetite/Chinese)
[/url]
lSmall Things With Great Love
MasserLMC

Postby Janja » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:13 am

MasserLMC wrote:Congee is a rice soup or porridge widely eaten in southern China for breakfast or as a snack. You will probably need a lot more then 4 cps. water or broth if you are using 1 cp. rice. It should be very soft & soupy. Some nice additions are scallions & any kind of mushroom. Cook the rice for a long time until it is very soft. Some soy sauce adds more flavor.

Manmanchi (bon appetite/Chinese)

I'm glad to know this is supposed to be soupy. Mine certainly was! (I used 1 cup dry barley and 6 cups water.) I thought it was supposed to be thicker, but it tasted delicious.
Janja

Postby MasserLMC » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:19 am

I'm glad you like it. I am 1/2 Chinese. Congee is also called JUK (sounds like look) in south China. It is Chinese comfort food.
[/url]
lSmall Things With Great Love
MasserLMC

Postby MaryW » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Well, my barley didn't turn out as well as I had hoped. I used 1 cup of barley, a sweet potato sliced with my mandolin slicer (my new toy!) and something possessed me to also slice a zucchini like Letha's cherry pie zucchini oats. I had put in 6 cups of water like before, but it didn't seem like enough. I ended up using 10 cups of water. I cooked it on high for about 7 hours. The next morning, the sweet potato had broken down nicely, but the zucchini was still in little rings. It looked really unappetizing. :( I ate a bowl anyway with a dash of salt and a spoon of brown sugar. It tasted all right, but those zucchini rings just creeped me out. I should have gone with my apple and sweet potato idea! Now I have a crock pot full of barley that I'm not sure I want to eat. Maybe if I puree it? Would that be even grosser?
MaryW

Postby Janja » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:40 pm

So sorry about your barley, Mary. As for what to do about it--if it were mine, I would probably pick out all the zucchini. :)
Janja

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program