Is there a recipe for Cornbread dressing

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby MaryW » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Stuffing wouldn't be on the MWL plan because of the bread of course. But you should be able to find some to fit the regular plan.

There is a recipe for eggplant cornbread stuffing in Everyday Cooking with Dean Ornish. My copy is packed away somewhere or I would post it for you. I found the recipe for his cornbread online. You can make it and let it dry out for a day or two, then add your broth and seasonings to make stuffing.

When I make this cornbread, I use whole wheat pastry flour instead of all-purpose. And I use Ener-G egg replacer instead of the egg whites. And of course, soy milk. It turns out great.

Perfect Fat-Free Corn Bread (Back to top)

Yield: One 8-inch square,

1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour

1 cup yellow cornmeal

2 tablespoons sugar

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1 cup nonfat milk

1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

2 egg whites

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray an 8-inch nonstick pan lightly with nonstick spray.

In a medium bowl, stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a large bowl, whisk together milk, applesauce, and egg whites.

Put the prepared pan in the oven to preheat for a minute or two while you combine the ingredients; take care not to overheat as spray bums easily,

Add dry ingredients to liquid ingredients. Stir lightly just to blend; do not ovem1ix. Pour into prepared preheated pan. Bake until top is lightly browned and springs back when touched, about 20 minutes.

Source: Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish, p. 183-184
MaryW

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program