Is this MWL?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Letha.. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Let’s take a look.

No animal foods, oil, flour products, tofu, soy milk, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seed butters, dried fruit, fruit juice, avocados, coconut, or olives.

I’d say this recipe is MWL. Enjoy. It looks really tasty. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Faith in DC » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:05 pm

make sure and add a salad for a balanced meal.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby Letha.. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:37 pm

debbie wrote:I forgot to add, I added 2 T of corn starch as it was too thin.
Is it still okay??

Deb

And thanx. sometimes I need reassuring that I am doing the right foods.

Hi Deb,
The soup looks great.

No need to worry about the cornstarch. You can use it on the MWL plan. It’s listed in two recipes that appear in McDougall’s MWL book. The ‘Vegetable Sweet Potato Chowder’ on page 228 and the ‘Low Cal Stew’ on page 277 both use cornstarch. :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Letha.. » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:02 pm

Faith in DC wrote:make sure and add a salad for a balanced meal.

Hi Faith,
I’m not aware of any recommendations from Dr. McDougall about adding salads to create a “balanced meal”. In his May 2008 newsletter he did say that “Potatoes are a complete food: People can and have lived for extended periods on potatoes as their sole source of nourishment.” I’d say you could probably live indefinitely on Debbie’s split pea soup without eating anything else and be very healthy.

There is another reason to recommend eating salads though. For those who wish to lose weight, salads comply with two of Dr. McDougall’s recommendation. From the MWL book page 62, “Make Green and Yellow Vegetables One-Third to One-Half of Your Meal.” In the same book on page 63, “Eat Uncooked Foods.” In both cases the stated reason is weight loss. Beans have 1.3 calories per gram, potatoes .8 calories per gram, and lettuce .2 calories per gram.
Letha
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Well, the reason since she's doing MWL it has the three speed of losing. Two thirds starch to one third low cal veggie/half and half, or one third to 2 thirds for the hasty method.

Now you balance it any way you want, but he does suggest looking at the plate.

Since this was a soup I thought a salad might do good for the balance. Heck she could have anything. Yes, it did have some carrots in it, but it didn't look like enough for the balance. I could be wrong.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Faith in DC » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:23 pm

Faith in DC wrote:Well, the reason since she's doing MWL it has the three speeds of losing. Two thirds starch to one third low cal veggie/half and half, or one third to 2 thirds for the hasty method.

Now you balance it any way you want, but he does suggest looking at the plate. So I'm imagining her bowl, which is mainly legume, with some starch, but legumes/beans are higher calorie so counted it as a starch.

Since this was a soup I thought a salad might do good for the balance. Heck she could have anything. Yes, it did have some carrots in it, but it didn't look like enough for the balance. I could be wrong. So I was meaning that balance, not the old fashioned balanced meal.
Faith
Faith in DC

Postby Quiver0f10 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:46 pm

My whole family loves this soup! The kids and DH have homemade wheat bread with it, but I have it alone. It's hearty and has potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and peas. I think it's fine by itself.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby Love the Lorax » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:03 pm

How long does it need to cook? Just wondering how to guage the time.. probably not too long, but I'm not a "natural cook" so guidance is always good!
Love the Lorax

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program