What is your trigger food?

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby nomikins » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:45 pm

We had linguine and broccoli for dinner. I did not eat until my stomach was engorged. YAY me!

Leftovers went right to fridge.

Mangoes for dessert.
nomikins

Postby LauraA » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:54 pm

I have noticed that whatever "diet" I was ever on, I managed to find trigger foods within that diet plan. On Weight Watchers, years ago, it was their desserts. I could use most of my points on them, and once took several of my young children out in the snow (in Virginia) to walk to the store to buy some WW desserts. Of course I was out of them, because if I had them in the house, I ate them! When I tried South Beach diet briefly, I got hooked on fat free choc pudding - I would eat all of the 4 servings as soon as I made the stuff. Now, on McDougall, I can overdo it easily with nuts, sweetened rice cakes, and peanut sauce. I usually stay clear of these items. The out of control feeling is almost worse than the fact that these items can make me not lose weight! The other day I had a little meltdown about going to the store, and buying these forbidden items! I'm over it now, and on plan! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Quiver0f10 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:43 pm

Baked goods, breads etc. I love warm bread with butter. Yummm. I bake bread a few times a week so it's hard to avoid but I am still on plan. I can't wait till weigh myself on Monday.
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby lfwfv » Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:16 am

Bread, peanut butter, honey/jam, crackers, nuts, dried fruit. I tend to just avoid having these foods in the house and then I do fine. I am a volume-eater at times so I tend to stick to MWL foods. I agree that the out-of-control feeling around some foods is far worse than the actual potential for weight gain. That's why I avoid trigger foods completely.

lfwfv
lfwfv

Postby raimel80 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:07 am

muffins, cereal, chocolate chips and french fries! When I am on plan i sort of trick myself with the cereal saying it's better than (insert naughty food here) but then I can't stop for some reason. Even if it's rice cakes with milk...

I read a weight loss journal once where this woman was talking about being addicted to food. She was raw I think. Her logic made sense to me in a way. Being addicted in any other arena means abstaining from the source of addiction. For her with food, raw was the closest she could come to that. I find a similar effect if you can get into a groove on McD. Like Letha's critter chow. I like that idea and have been mulling it over this week as I struggle with some cravings and try to get back into my mary's mini mode. :)
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Nuts & seeds are triggers for me

Postby Yomom » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:08 am

I am trying to keep to MWL, and just finished reading Esselstyn's book "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease", so my trigger foods are now nuts and seeds. They have joined the long list of foods I can't have in the house - my previous trigger foods: dessert items, tortilla chips, bagel chips, and almost any commercially-prepared food. I can't eat just one portion, so am trying to always have low-fat vegan soups, salads or main dishes ready to eat in the refrigerator.
Yomom

Postby amyla51 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:14 pm

Potato chips and onion dip......When I was a kid I used to ask Santa to put some in my stocking. Isn't that sad? :(
Now I know I cannot have them in the house, or even try just one. I compensate by making the oven "fried" potatoes, but those fill me up, so I don't shove them mindlessly in my mouth. Plus, they take some effort to make.
When I walk by the chip display in the corner store, I sometimes look longingly at them, and know how an alcoholic must feel.

Amy :)
Amy in NH

"Potato Power!" (courtesy of Jeff Novick)
Nothing is impossible to a willing heart.
"On Plan and planning to stay that way." (Thanks, Letha)
amyla51

Postby gizmotcbc » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Bread.........my achilies heel. Farmers Market fresh bread ><
gizmotcbc

Postby Clary » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:39 pm

Letha.. wrote:Butter. Real butter. I can eat three times as much of anything with butter on it. I used to put butter on pizza. Butter, margarine, and oil are not even allowed in my house anymore. I will never again have even one molecule of butter. :)
Letha

Real Butter is still my slippery slope.
My mother told me when I was a little girl, from the time I was barely able to reach the table, I would sneak the butter dish off the table during meal preparation, and EAT THE BUTTER! She finally had to keep it hidden until we all sat down to eat.

Like you, I could eat more and more and more of anything if it had real butter on it. --whereas a normal portion of "whatever" satisfied if eaten w/o butter.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby EK » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:07 pm

Some of mine are similar to everyone else's I definitely struggle with homemade bread which I can consume in huge quantities covered with fruit sweetened jam. Cereal is another big one for me because I usually end up eating a whole box in one sitting. I don't even keep it in the house anymore. Chocolate like most girls is a big one for me! I make a fat free vegan cake that is gone in about 3 servings which while it's warm I cover with soy ice cream which I didn't notice anyone else mention, but ice cream has ALWAYS been my biggest weakness! I've been trying to just use this as a very rare treat now.
EK

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:10 pm

Meat--any type.

I am vegan only for health and environmental reasons.

I especially like kilbasa sausage and roast beef and gravy.

Oh and peanut butter. I usually end up eating the whole jar by myself.
Can't blame that one on my husband . ha ha

Since my husband still eats all that, its very difficult not to sneak a bite.
Gramma Jackie

Postby Gramma Jackie » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:12 pm

Gramma Jackie wrote:Meat--any type.

I am vegan only for health and environmental reasons.

I especially like kilbasa sausage and roast beef and gravy.

Since my husband still eats all that, its very difficult not to sneak a bite.

Oh and peanut butter. I usually end up eating the whole jar by myself.
Can't blame that one on my husband . ha ha

Gramma Jackie

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Anything with nuts or peanut butter, especially if it's a creamy sauce-y type dish. The vegan macaroni and cheese from Susan Voisin's site is a big bad no-no for me. Even the lasagna that f1jim posted that has tofu in it is bad for me. In short, anything with higher fat or more refined like pasta. :? The two things together are murder!
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby kimba » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:06 am

bread
kimba

Trigger Food(s)

Postby FaithLady09 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:52 am

My trigger foods are cakes, pies, cookies, ice cream and salty snacks, chips, nuts. Also, all good crusty breads. I like pastas and know that the regular program is not for me until way down the road :-D :-D However, I do look forward to seeing if it can ever be and will I really be able to stop craving chocolate???? :-D

FaithLady09
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIpecy7/]
[/url]
FaithLady09

PreviousNext

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program