Free Program

For those wanting to learn about and follow the McDougall Maximum Weight Loss Program. You can also join our monthly weigh-ins.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Free Program

Postby Charlie » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:47 pm

I have been following Dr. McDougall since June 2006 after reading "The China Study". I took the 30 day challenge and with the help of my wife, Bev, I have been able to follow the vegan lifestyle most of the time. However, I find myself cheating too much ... processed food, pizza with cheese ... no meat but things I know I should not be eating.

I want to work on getting my blood pressure down, and my cholesterol even lower along with the triglycerides. A couple of weeks ago, my cholesterol was 142 and triglycerides was fairly low. (can't remember off hand)

I have decided to start the free 12 day program and Bev has agreed to help me. She looked at the recipes and we went to the grocery store to stock up on some of the items we need. I plan to start the program tomorrow, Monday Oct. 5,2009. First thing in the morning I will weigh in and then go have lipid profile blood work. For those that might be interested in the results after 12 days, they will be forth coming.

Some of the recipes have like six or eight servings. Should I limit myself to only one serving at each meal? I have been at 195 lbs to 200 lbs for a pretty long time and my goal is to get down to 175 lbs. I was 280 lbs in March of 2005 and was on medication for BP, cholesterol, and diabetes. I no longer take any prescribed medication.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated. :)

Charlie
Charlie

Postby slugmom » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:36 am

Nope, eat generously - not until you're stuffed, but don't try to limit servings. Somewhere Dr. McD just said those are a guideline so you have an idea how much it makes or something ... but the beauty of the program is that you can eat and be satisfied. Keeping yourself from getting too hungry can be a big help in staying on the program. If you're hungry, feel free to eat on-plan foods and enjoy them. :)
- Kim

slugmom

I agree.

Postby f1jim » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 am

Eat as much as you want of the legal stuff. One other suggestion I would make is to clean out all the junk food from your home. Have only healthy, nourishing food available to eat. Don't let the processed junk get within arms reach. There is no point fighting your taste buds with will power.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby raimel80 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:06 am

good luck charlie! I love to hear a good success story so I look forward to reading your 12 day results!
"Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward"

raimel80

Postby LauraA » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:13 am

Charlie - how exciting, can't wait to hear of your progress! You also could do a journal about it if you you wanted to . Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:01 am

Dittos on the "clear out all the junk" by f1jim. Otherwise it's too tempting to cheat, as you probably know.

Pay no attention to serving sizes. Eat and be happy. :)
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Thanks

Postby Charlie » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:24 pm

I appreciate the comments and suggestions from each one of you. It helps so much when you have someone paying attention and giving their help.

Today, day 1, I got blood work done and will pick up the results tomorrow. I am also curious to see the results after 12 days.

Bev, my precious wife, made the curly pasta salad and one of the dressings to marinate it in. I had this for lunch and my breakfast was wheat and bran cereal with soy milk and an apple a little later.

After lunch I left for 18 holes of golf (I rode) and when I got home there was such a great aroma that hit me, upon entering. Bev made the Hearty Brazilian Bean Soup and banana muffins while I was gone. I was surprised that muffins were included in the 12 day program. I haven't eaten any of the muffins yet but the other recipes were delicious. A new taste that we both liked.

I'm not sure what you mean about a journal, LauraA.

I know about getting rid of certain foods that I shouldn't be eating, but it is hard not to keep some of this stuff or junk around for some of my family that have not yet seen the light. We do not have any meat or dairy around but we do have some of the unhealthy processed food. I have good will power when I set my mind to it, though. I'll be in touch.

Charlie
Oh, yes P.S. I like your picture and congrats to you, Kim. :-D
Charlie

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:38 pm

Charlie, go here: http://drmcdougall.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21 and start your journal by clicking on "New Topic". It's the very best way to get feedback on what you're doing. You post every day, on your journal, what you're eating and what you're doing and you will get feedback by the basketful. Or the truckload, depending on whether or not the Food Police catch up with you there. They usually do. 8)

The muffins and soup sound heavenly. It is really good that your wife is on board with this! It will make it so much easier.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Thanks

Postby Charlie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:23 am

Thanks for this info, Doodlepunk. This is great! I have always been interested in finding out about others on the board and this tells a lot. I guess LauraA started this, and I commend her. If not, whomever or is it whoever :?:I commend them! I may start my journal. I find myself spending too much time on the board, if I'm not careful. But it does inspire and motivate me. I am so thankful to Dr. McDougall for this website and all that participate. :-D

Charlie
Charlie

Postby Faith in DC » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:07 am

Welcome. Remember the muffins won't help you lose weight but for a treat that is fine.

It's wonderful you have support. That helps.
Faith
I'm in training for maintaining
Faith in DC

Postby slugmom » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:10 am

Wait, if the muffins are a regular plan recipe they might help lose weight! Many people lose weight fine on the regular program!

Foods allowed on the 12-day but excluded from the Maximum Weight Loss plan (nuts, seeds, flour products, higher fat plant foods live olives and avocados) might be ones you want to be careful not to over-indulge in, though :)
- Kim

slugmom

Muffins

Postby Charlie » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:58 am

Kim, you are correct. Muffins and recipes are for breakfast on day 5 of the 12 day program. :)

Charlie
Charlie

Weight loss after 7 days

Postby Charlie » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:59 am

I am keeping track of what I'm eating each day. I am only eating recipes or meals that are on the 12 day program. I will give a complete record of meals and blood work after 12 or 14 days. I may go for at least 14 days... maybe stay on it until I reach my goal and that is down to 175 lbs. I hope to get blood work done next Monday and that will be after 14 days. If the results are good, I will give you the results. :-D If not, I will think about giving them to you. :lol:

Weight loss after 7 days 5.4 lbs

Blood Pressure this morning 120/70

Charlie
Charlie

Postby Letha.. » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 am

Hi Charlie,
Congratulations on your 5.4 pound weight loss. That’s wonderful! :)
Letha
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
Carl Sagan
Letha..

Re: Weight loss after 7 days

Postby fulenn » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:24 pm

Charlie wrote: If the results are good, I will give you the results. :-D If not, I will think about giving them to you. :lol:

Charlie[/b]

:D :D :D

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Next

Return to Maximum Weight Loss Program